theguru

Open Job: Grant County

I understand you’re thinking but there are issues. Look at this timeline line.

May interviews (we’ll assume beginning of May).

Hired 2nd week of May.

3 weeks to find, organize and somehow find money to play in some 7 on 7.

Roughly 5 weeks to talk to current staff to see if they fit and will stay. 5 weeks to teach them how you want things done. 5 weeks to star looking at next seasons film of opponents and reviewing film from last year. 5 weeks to find fundraising and get it approved. The team currently has less than 500.00 and might even be in the negative. You’re losing time in the weight room, spring football and recruiting players.

I believe the last two coaches and maybe 3 out of the last 4 have been late hires.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think a March or April hire really gives that much of an advantage to a team that is, honestly, very not good.

7v7 aren't that hard to find, especially if you aren't going to the big tournaments.

If the program is in a bad situation, a new coach won't get to have a complete pick of who to replace and keep on staff. It's hard to find even remotely average coaches, you aren't going to find them coming for this job. You know who you can and can't keep or trust with responsibility pretty quickly in these situations.

The only issue would be fundraising that you could be missing out on. But, at the same time, it isn't super hard to get stuff going pretty quickly. They've done things in the past, so those are probably pretty standard items that most teams would do.

If the team hasn't had anything to do since October, as in no asst. has taken the lead in any sort of weights program, then I doubt starting a month earlier will be a make or break time frame.

I 100% get what you're saying, and it's not that I disagree with you in any capacity. I just think that THIS job isn't like most other jobs. You're taking over a team who didn't score over 20 points in a single game this season, and who hasn't had a winning season in almost a decade. Are all of the things you mentioned valid issues for a program? Without a doubt. But, are those the issues that have been possibly holding them back? I don't think so. It's like going to the ER with a broken hand and a gun shot wound. Those are both things I want to have treated, but one is far more important than the other. Hiring the right coach who can be committed to building the program year round is the single most important issue facing any struggling program. If they have better offerings in May after positions and budget issues become more clear, then you can't fault them for waiting.

Makes me wonder why the former coach wanted this so bad and then leaves to make someone else try to fix it.

Makes me wonder if you know anything about the former coach, and why he would leave like this.... It's like the old Transformer slogan, there more than meets the eye. He had no intention of leaving there when he took the job, or when he went out of district. Stuff happened, things changed, and he decided to do what was best for him, and his family.

I hope they get a new coach, for the sake of the kids, but Grant County has done this to themselves....and the kids are the ones that will be hurt.

Makes me wonder if you know anything about the former coach, and why he would leave like this...

A decent amount, but there is probably more to the story.

I know it said they are waiting to hire a coach but are there any names being thrown around yet for this job?

I think I would rather wait and get a late start, than rush a hire and have them coming into a situation that changed due to positions and budgets.

As bad as it sounds, is Grant County really a spring practice window away from competing with teams this year? I honestly think, unless they have positions confirmed, that they aren't hurting themselves by waiting. Have a full list of jobs to better be able to find the right person.

I hate spring football but I understand it's a neccesary evil. The benefits of it to a new coach can be critical though. You can install your offense and defense. Set the tone for your offseason workouts and head you in the right direction for the fall. You're losing time that you could be using to make your team better.

The team was told no one would be hired till May. They were told a youth coach that has won a lot of games and a guy who coached in college applied.

The team was told no one would be hired till May. They were told a youth coach that has won a lot of games and a guy who coached in college applied.

Has any asst. coach been running off season things?

Has any asst. coach been running off season things?

I know they are having some kind of workouts, but don’t have any other details.

Sounds par for the course. The football team at Grant County being an afterthought.

Sounds par for the course. The football team at Grant County being an afterthought.

Then what's the fix? A quick glance at KHSAA results shows it doesn't appear to be limited to just football. They don't seem to have a lot of athletic success is anything, really. The only teams with a winning record over their last season was boys soccer and girls basketball.

Are athletics, as a whole, simply being discouraged or are there just very few athletic students? And this isn't an attempt to cast blame on anyone, I'm not extremely familiar with that part of the state so this is a genuine curiosity.

KHSAA's scoreboard only goes back to 1998, and they've only had 2 winning seasons, with 6 and 7 wins in 2006 and 2007. Is that just Grant County football, or is it just the "people in charge" of Grant County schools?

That's it? Although, I thought Logan County was wrong for hiring a middle school coach but it sure worked out for them.

That's it? Although, I thought Logan County was wrong for hiring a middle school coach but it sure worked out for them.

Youth coach not middle school coach. I’m not sure about Logan Co but in Grant those are two very different things. More than two people have applied. The coach handing out the papers just made reference to those two people. Word is emails were sent out to check certifications and if the applicants were planning on attempting to teach at the HS.

Then what's the fix? A quick glance at KHSAA results shows it doesn't appear to be limited to just football. They don't seem to have a lot of athletic success is anything, really. The only teams with a winning record over their last season was boys soccer and girls basketball.

Are athletics, as a whole, simply being discouraged or are there just very few athletic students? And this isn't an attempt to cast blame on anyone, I'm not extremely familiar with that part of the state so this is a genuine curiosity.

KHSAA's scoreboard only goes back to 1998, and they've only had 2 winning seasons, with 6 and 7 wins in 2006 and 2007. Is that just Grant County football, or is it just the "people in charge" of Grant County schools?

I can't say for sure what the "fix" is, but I have a hard time thinking that the community is going to support any athletic programs that aren't being supported by the actual school in the first place.

I can't say for sure what the "fix" is, but I have a hard time thinking that the community is going to support any athletic programs that aren't being supported by the actual school in the first place.

Only change I would make to your statement is enough of the community to support any athletic program. There is support, enough is a different story.

Wish it could be better or the future could look better for the kids but doubt it...been there done that...I was one of the "transplants"...they can't get out of their own way (power-control-pride) I could write a book on the things I saw and experienced in the 13 yrs I was down there, but don't have the time or inclination...