katbird

Does Highlands need a coaching change?

Does Highlands need a new leader?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Does Highlands need a new leader?

I think Mike Murphy was actually a Holmes grad

Hmm ... so the "all HHS coaches are HHS guys" is falling apart fast. In other words, it was "you can't be coach of HHS unless you went there" started with Coach Mueller. Him and Weinrich have half of the HHS total, and we've eliminated a few others from consideration in the other half.

BW is a quality coach and person. Some people are better assistants than head coaches. Marvin Lewis comes to mind. That being said, at the HS level, I would not replace coaches just for W/L record. There would have to be other negative impacts or character issues.

Hmm ... so the "all HHS coaches are HHS guys" is falling apart fast. In other words, it was "you can't be coach of HHS unless you went there" started with Coach Mueller. Him and Weinrich have half of the HHS total, and we've eliminated a few others from consideration in the other half.

There have been 19 coaches in 100 years and yes, not all have been Highlands guys. Other than Mueller and Weinrich, Roger Walz and Homer Rice are graduates. I'm not sure of Bill Herrmann but I know his boys went and played there while he coached. Duffy is a no; not sure about Eicher. The rest are way before my time to know anything about them.

I guess it depends on your definition of Highlands guys. I consider long time assistants like Hauck and Murphy Highlands guys as they coached there roughly 10 years as assistants before becoming head coaches. Everyone else was a graduate besides Duffy. Duffy was the only true outsider.

Edit: that is since Homer Rice when the state championship started. I have no idea about the old timers.

There have been 19 coaches in 100 years and yes, not all have been Highlands guys. Other than Mueller and Weinrich, Roger Walz and Homer Rice are graduates. I'm not sure of Bill Herrmann but I know his boys went and played there while he coached. Duffy is a no; not sure about Eicher. The rest are way before my time to know anything about them.

Eicher was a Highlands grad.

I think Mike Murphy was actually a Holmes grad

That may be, Ill look at the almanac thing I have again. Mike Murphy isn't that rare of a name, I must have just assumed it was him.

No one said all Highlands coaches are Highlands grads. There are more that are than are not though. Some smart guy said (Highlands shouldn't get a Highlands guy as a new HC)

BW 1

Dale 11

Walz 1

Rice 3

Highlands Guy HC State Championships = 16, that's really just average if you consider that Highlands has 23 state championships

That is terrible why would you want a head coach that was a Highlands guy? Totally falling apart.

No one said all Highlands coaches are Highlands grads. There are more that are than are not though. Some smart guy said (Highlands shouldn't get a Highlands guy as a new HC)

BW 1

Dale 11

Walz 1

Rice 3

Highlands Guy HC State Championships = 16, that's really just average if you consider that Highlands has 23 state championships

That is terrible why would want a head coach that was a Highlands guy? Totally falling apart.

Thanks for the breakdown. I appreciate the help filling in the gaps.

BW 1

Dale 11

Walz 1

Rice 3

That is terrible why would you want a head coach that was a Highlands guy? Totally falling apart.

Duffy had two titles in his short tenure didn't he?

The one thing that disappointed me from last Friday's loss to Ryle was the undisciplined defense.

Not sure if that can reasonably blamed on BW but I'd certainly like a bit more class to be shown.

There's nothing wrong with hiring a person from within if that's the best person for the job but I think it's shortsighted and stupid to think only an "&&&" person can coach at "&&&" High School because a non "&&&" person wouldn't understand how the culture works there.

You too need to read my response to that quote. Ridiculous! Everyone thinks they know so much about HHS and they are incorrect. Anyone that thinks that anyone other than Ft Thomas kids have the most impact on this program over the years is insulting the entire program. But nice try. Keep following the rumors that have surrounded this program for years. There have been some impact players from that came from other areas. But that's all people remember. There are 100's of Ft Thomas kids that have had just as much impact.

So what is your explanation for the dramatic drop in talent level? Furthermore, the timing of Dale's retirement suggests he knew this was coming.

So what is your explanation for the dramatic drop in talent level? Furthermore, the timing of Dale's retirement suggests he knew this was coming.

I can only speculate. I don't coach football. But I can tell you that we have seen talent decrease before and it was for years at a time. Some will tell you that talent is still there. Some will tell you the depth of talent is not there like it used to be. Some will tell you that these last couple classes have had talent, just not the 1-5 studs that previous classes have had. Some will tell you size has been an issue with these last couple classes. And some will tell you because HHS isn't getting outside talent any longer is the sole reason! Ha Ha. I said this about 3 years ago. When you platoon and your depth of talent goes down (over multiple classes in a row), you will struggle. My feeling is that the "depth" of talent (compared to the past 10 years) is not there and these last couple classes have had some very good football players, but not the big time studs the others had when depth was down. We've had other years where depth was down and were able to hide it because we have studs in certain positions that made up for it. But when you have depth issues, no big time studs and platoon still and multiple classes in a row without a big stud, it becomes tough.

HHS is really a 4A school and landlocked. Some will say, "well that's always been that way!" and they are right. But what they don't realize is success goes in cycles. No one wants to believe that because of the unbelievable talent run they had recently. But in the course of the entire program, that was a small period of up time. We are now in a small period where the stars are aligning and you are seeing the down sides. It happens, even in Ft Thomas.

Look, we can't go out and build new houses. So think about this as just one example...the families that were here thru all those years of success still occupy the houses they were in. But they have no boys that play any longer. So the turnover of houses slows eventually. People grow old and move out or pass on and then it opens up housing. This goes in cycles as well. Sometimes there are a lot of houses available and sometimes you can't find houses that are even close to affordable and they go off the market as fast as they hit the market. I know this is kinda morbid, but in small towns, it does play into it a little bit. Also, the cost of your average house is not what you see in other areas and it's a sellers market right now so prices are skyrocketed, even for Ft Thomas. So it's not easy for parents, that want to come, to actually pull the trigger. I hear it almost every day! And yes, other schools have stepped up their game! Which is awesome for NKY!

I only use those few examples above because there are a lot of things people outside the community don't think of or have any idea about. But we know. There are SEVERAL other factors that play into it. But at the end of the day, it comes and goes just like every other school. Luckily the tradition typically covers it up in the Fort and it's not as noticeable as some other areas. But it still happens and I really think everything has aligned perfectly in this case to see the success level we are seeing right now. But guess what, I have no doubt it will turn back around at some point. And I mean absolutely no doubt. .

I can only speculate. I don't coach football. But I can tell you that we have seen talent decrease before and it was for years at a time. Some will tell you that talent is still there. Some will tell you the depth of talent is not there like it used to be. Some will tell you that these last couple classes have had talent, just not the 1-5 studs that previous classes have had. Some will tell you size has been an issue with these last couple classes. And some will tell you because HHS isn't getting outside talent any longer is the sole reason! Ha Ha. I said this about 3 years ago. When you platoon and your depth of talent goes down (over multiple classes in a row), you will struggle. My feeling is that the "depth" of talent (compared to the past 10 years) is not there and these last couple classes have had some very good football players, but not the big time studs the others had when depth was down. We've had other years where depth was down and were able to hide it because we have studs in certain positions that made up for it. But when you have depth issues, no big time studs and platoon still and multiple classes in a row without a big stud, it becomes tough.

HHS is really a 4A school and landlocked. Some will say, "well that's always been that way!" and they are right. But what they don't realize is success goes in cycles. No one wants to believe that because of the unbelievable talent run they had recently. But in the course of the entire program, that was a small period of up time. We are now in a small period where the stars are aligning and you are seeing the down sides. It happens, even in Ft Thomas.

Look, we can't go out and build new houses. So think about this as just one example...the families that were here thru all those years of success still occupy the houses they were in. But they have no boys that play any longer. So the turnover of houses slows eventually. People grow old and move out or pass on and then it opens up housing. This goes in cycles as well. Sometimes there are a lot of houses available and sometimes you can't find houses that are even close to affordable and they go off the market as fast as they hit the market. I know this is kinda morbid, but in small towns, it does play into it a little bit. Also, the cost of your average house is not what you see in other areas and it's a sellers market right now so prices are skyrocketed, even for Ft Thomas. So it's not easy for parents, that want to come, to actually pull the trigger. I hear it almost every day! And yes, other schools have stepped up their game! Which is awesome for NKY!

I only use those few examples above because there are a lot of things people outside the community don't think of or have any idea about. But we know. There are SEVERAL other factors that play into it. But at the end of the day, it comes and goes just like every other school. Luckily the tradition typically covers it up in the Fort and it's not as noticeable as some other areas. But it still happens and I really think everything has aligned perfectly in this case to see the success level we are seeing right now. But guess what, I have no doubt it will turn back around at some point. And I mean absolutely no doubt. .

Doesn't like a quarter the male enrollment play? I can remember HHS fielding rosters of 100+, not including freshman.