Kaepernick Saga: What Bothers You Most

Clyde

Already been touched on, just because it is "not as bad as it used to be" does NOT mean it doesn't still exist.

As long as that mentality is held on to, things will never improve to where they should.

You're missing my point. If it's a problem with our country then we're all at fault, or did Kaepernick mean to say that white Americans are oppressing blacks?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm from NKY to give you an idea. Maybe it's me. It's more often than not if I'm in a group and some one drives by with an American flag on their truck or hanging from there home, it's always one person "Hillbilly". . Just a couple in my personal experience

Never seen or heard that in any of the 3 parts of the country I've lived.

Edited by spindoc

I would make an exception to that day because I lived through it and experienced it. The days after 9-11 is the most together I have ever witnessed our country in my entire life. Everything was thrown out of the window and we mourned together as a country and we came together as a country to rebuild and begin work to make sure it never happened again. I'll never forget anything about that day and if I was protesting like Kap is(I would never protest in this manner) I would make an exception out of respect for the innocent lives lost that day because 9-11 is a day of remembrance to me. Not a day of protest. My protest would resume on 9-12 but on 9-11 I'm paying my respects.

I'm sorry but your reasoning falls apart for me because throughout our country's history there has been loss of life of those defending our nation and all of those did not occur on September 11. Just seems to me if such a protest is inappropriate on 9-11 , it is inappropriate any and every day.

You're missing my point. If it's a problem with our country then we're all at fault, or did Kaepernick mean to say that white Americans are oppressing blacks?

I can't put words into his mouth, but I think it's safe to assume what he meant. While black people hold some responsibility, they aren't really in the position to oppress anybody, so read into it what you may.

Just out of curiosity, could you provide any examples of this? I see it thrown around a lot, but never really hear any specific examples of where the racism has been institutionalized, or embraced by the "system."

Not ready to say whether I agree or disagree, I am just looking for some examples where this is true.

Brian Banks vs Brock Turner is seen as systemic and institutionalized racism.

Brian Banks was a promising high school football player who was wrongly convicted of rape and served time in jail because of it. 5 years I believe.

Brock Turner was a promising swimmer who was found guilty of rape and given probation because the jail environment wasn't deemed safe for him.

That's just one instance off the top of my head with a little assistance from Google to make sure I had the facts right. That one was easy to find because I remember the stories. There are hundreds of stories like this though.

Forget that Banks was innocent. Why is jail deemed an unsafe place for Brock and a perfectly fine place for Banks? And both these cases were in the state of California as well.

I'm sorry but your reasoning falls apart for me because throughout our country's history there has been loss of life of those defending our nation and all of those did not occur on September 11. Just seems to me if such a protest is inappropriate on 9-11 ' date=' it is inappropriate any and every day.[/quote']

We agree to disagree. I'm sure if I lived through Vietnam, WWII or the Korean War then I may feel differently. I lived through 9-11 and it has had an effect on me more than any other event in American history.

I don't have much emotional attachment for historical events I didn't experience. If I did I probably would truly epitomize the stereotype of an angry black male. The historical treatment of blacks in America would bother me way way way more than any other historical event in American history.

Brian Banks vs Brock Turner is seen as systemic and institutionalized racism.

Brian Banks was a promising high school football player who was wrongly convicted of rape and served time in jail because of it. 5 years I believe.

Brock Turner was a promising swimmer who was found guilty of rape and given probation because the jail environment wasn't deemed safe for him.

That's just one instance off the top of my head with a little assistance from Google to make sure I had the facts right. That one was easy to find because I remember the stories. There are hundreds of stories like this though.

Forget that Banks was innocent. Why is jail deemed an unsafe place for Brock and a perfectly fine place for Banks? And both these cases were in the state of California as well.

Right, but that isn't clearly racism. You can deduce that race was a deciding factor in that case, but nothing distinctively shows that institutionalized racism was the determinant in one person being more harshly sentenced.

While it may appear that those court cases were had a determined outcome based on race, without any proof, it is just an opinion.

When I think of systematic and institutionalized racism, I think of laws specifically created for people of different races. I think of police departments that have mandated targeting people of specific races, meeting "race quotas." I think or institutions that are set up with a specific goal to marginalize, segregate or discriminate against specific races. Again, just my interpretation of what systematic and institutionalize racism is. And fwiw, I think we have done a pretty good job of ridding what I have just described from our society.

Maybe, or at the same time maybe I would prove the stereotype wrong that if you are black you don't have the same advantages to better yourself than if you were white.

Fortunately for you, you'll never have to live a day as a black man.

Unfortunately for us, people like you will continue to sit in their Ivory Tower and tell us how our problems aren't real.

Fortunately for you, you'll never have to live a day as a black man.

Unfortunately for us, people like you will continue to sit in their Ivory Tower and tell us how our problems aren't real.

That there is the problem. First off because I'm white i sit in an ivory tower? Who is to say I haven't had it worse than you growing up?

That is the biggest load of garbage I've ever heard. It's the ole "Woe is me, I'm black therefore I've been oppressed my entire life" Yet you have no clue about anything about me and you take it as fact that I have lived a privileged life.

Duece, I'm curious, what is the level of your education?

Want to know why I ask, because if you went to college then guess what genius? You had better opportunities than I had. So don't give me that ivory tower stuff, that infuriates me when someone claims no one will ever know what they go through but that same person states as a fact that he knows exactly what someone else goes through.

You see what the problem with your post is, you asked me a question you thought I'd say no to and when I said yes to it you didn't know how to react.

Edited by spindoc

Right, but that isn't clearly racism. You can deduce that race was a deciding factor in that case, but nothing distinctively shows that institutionalized racism was the determinant in one person being more harshly sentenced.

While it may appear that those court cases were had a determined outcome based on race, without any proof, it is just an opinion.

When I think of systematic and institutionalized racism, I think of laws specifically created for people of different races. I think of police departments that have mandated targeting people of specific races, meeting "race quotas." I think or institutions that are set up with a specific goal to marginalize, segregate or discriminate against specific races. Again, just my interpretation of what systematic and institutionalize racism is. And fwiw, I think we have done a pretty good job of ridding what I have just described from our society.

The laws and sentencing of crack cocaine vs the powder form of cocaine are an instance of systemic and institutionalized racism that may fall under how you view systemic and institutionalized racism.

I'm from NKY to give you an idea. Maybe it's me. It's more often than not if I'm in a group and some one drives by with an American flag on their truck or hanging from there home, it's always one person "Hillbilly". What about at the trump conventions? Waving American flags labeled racist by certain media bc they're white and waving an American flag. Just a couple in my personal experience

Hanging an American flag at your home = Not Hillbilly.

Flying the American flag from your pick up, with a fat dip in your lip, and mountain dew in the cup holder = Hillbilly.