xyience

Johnson Central 40 North Laurel 6

JC that good or North that bad?
After meeting so many kind people from North I want this next statement to come across in a nice way. North looked really bad and Central looked extremely good. The most impressive thing with Central was all of their backs ran so hard and all looked like they were capable of starting.

I’m currently working on an article for this game.

Can someone explain why Central refused to supply the height, weight and position of the players? I find this a little sad that they did not help the people who put the bowl preview out?

They had a really good crowd there, but it wasn't 2,000. More like 500. Little bit of overselling on the radio guys' part. :sssh:
Jim, it was good to meet you during this bowl and I agree Central had maybe 500 fans at this game.

This game started with a bang when on the games first play from scrimmage as Shawn Grimm scored from 59-yards out. The point after was blocked by the talented Shawn Asher keeping the score, 6-0 Central.

5:17 Showed on the clock when Asher took a hit and coughed up the ball Central’s Tommy Taylor pounced on it. The North’s defense got a huge sack from Chris Maggard as he dropped J. K. Ratliff for a bog loss. The first quarter would end with Central holding the lead, 6-0.

Grimm would show some nice power when he went up the gut of the North’s defense for a 14-yard gain with 11:37 left in the half. Then with 10:34 showing on the clock, Ian Welch took a pitch and gained twelve yards. The five play sixty nine yard drive would come to an end when Grimm took a pitch and scored from 34-yards out making the score 12-0. A two-point conversion tried failed for Central keeping the score 12-0.

Central would score again with 7:02 left in the half when Ratliff hooked up with Taylor for a 41-yard score making the score 18-0. Welch made good on a two-point conversion run increasing the lead to 20-0.

The Central defense got to Justin Jones for a sack with 4:25 left in the half and from there they forced a punt as it appeared the defense was now making a big statement. Central, who showed a lot of talented running backs would score again when Chris Hill scampered in from 20-yards out and after James Barrett hit the point after the scoreboard read 27-0, Central.

Neither team had done much in the third as the defenses were making things very difficult and this show big time when Nathaniel Dials got to Tommy Lawson for a seven-yard sack. Then with 1:18 left in the quarter Dials again got to Lawson for a sack causing a fumble that Dials picked up in the end zone for a Central touchdown. The point after was blocked but Central was up 33-0 at this point. 33-0 was the score as the quarter came to an end.

There were two scores in the final frame one each by both teams. For Central Kyle Underwood carried six straight time scoring from one yard out on the last one. Barrett hit the point after to make the score 40-0. North would get its only score of the game with 2:55 left in the game when Lowell Adams hit Cam Cornett for a 62-yard touchdown.

Unofficial Stats

North

47 plays

164 total yards

6-12 passing 1 TD

Central

47 Plays

280 yards(206 in first half)

2-10 passing 1 TD 1 INT.

I was listening to radio friday night and the NL O didn't move the ball at all without Asher.

Not true. I'd bet that Asher was #3 in offensive yardage for NL. NL's offense will get better, and it won't just be Asher getting the ball. Asher is a great player, but if he is expected to do it all, it will be a long season. Look for more balance in the upcoming weeks.

Can someone explain why Central refused to supply the height, weight and position of the players? I find this a little sad that they did not help the people who put the bowl preview out?

Matney was a nightmare for the bowl people to work with. He was extremely uncooperative, and even skipped the media night. I'd say he refused to give a roster to the officials.

I was told by a bowl organizer (not a coach or school official) that JC won't be back, and it won't be because anyone is scared of them. Matney has proved year in and year out to march to his own drum. He's the coach that refuses to traded film with other coaches as well.

This win is a good way to start the season. Matney and his crew is happy, but not satisfied. We have a very tough schedule left before we start disctrict play. The South Point, OH and Bryan Station games are going to give the team an indication of were they are at. And if that 3A state title will come back to eagleville in 2006!

"Come back"? When did JC win a 3A title? I looked at the KHSAA site and couldn't find one. I'll admit I'm getting older and the print is mighty small, help me out. I didn't see JC as ever even playing for a 3A title.

"Come back"? When did JC win a 3A title? I looked at the KHSAA site and couldn't find one. I'll admit I'm getting older and the print is mighty small, help me out. I didn't see JC as ever even playing for a 3A title.
You are correct. JC has never won a state title. In fact, the school has never won a regional title either. However, I assume when the Golden Eagles win their first state title, some hardware would come back with them to Paintsville. I believe that is what xyience meant. "Bring the state title home to eagleville" might have been a better way to phrase it. I thought the meaning of his post was fairly clear even if the wording was a bit imprecise.

Matney was a nightmare for the bowl people to work with. He was extremely uncooperative, and even skipped the media night. I'd say he refused to give a roster to the officials.

I was told by a bowl organizer (not a coach or school official) that JC won't be back, and it won't be because anyone is scared of them. Matney has proved year in and year out to march to his own drum. He's the coach that refuses to traded film with other coaches as well.

Who has he refused to trade films with? I know that talk was brought up for the Madison Southern game last year but tell be Boucher what other teams has he not traded films with? He traded with North Laurel's coach last Saturday. When was the media night? Plain and simple is it's his job to win football games and have his young men prepared every Friday night and that's what Johnson Central hired him for. I can guarantee you he's not going to miss any time on the practice field so he can attend a media night that is over two hours away. The thought of him doing so is flat out dumb.

You want to talk about film ask North Laurel's coach about the quality of film that Johnson Central gave them compared to the film that Central received. Heck one of the films that JC received was filmed by a fan in the stands. The second half was on the beginning of the tape while the first half was at the end. If you want to talk about film trading have a clue as to what you’re talking about first.

I don't see what the big deal is about over whether coaches agree or don't agree to trade video. If coaches want to exchange film, fine. If one coach believes that withholding film gains his team an edge, more power to him. It makes sense to exchange film because I assume that it reduces expenses for both schools involved, but I have never seen it as an issue of sportsmanship or "class." If Matney chooses to exchange film with some coaches but not others, for whatever reason, I have absolutely no problem with his decision. Nor do I have any problem if other coaches refuse to exchange films with JC. It's their call, IMO, and either decision is equally acceptable.

If I recall, there was a big pubic flap over JC not providing a roster or not providing it quickly enough to satisfy a certain reporter before last season's game. Maybe Matney was not as forthcoming with information this season because of the public attacks that were made against him and the school last season. I also agree that it is pretty petty to criticize Matney for not making the long trip for media night. Did anybody consider asking him to participate via a speakerphone or video?

The people in the press box had to make an announcement that even they needed a roster to use. I understand a coach is busy, way busy sometime but I would think he could find the time to get a roster, a complete roster to the people trying to do their preview up right or at least to the people in the press box who really do need on to do their job well. Or he could give that job and others like it to another person involved with the team.

I now in talking too at least one newspaper guy who did a preview he was up to late working hard on his and without needed information that was requested well in advance to the preview coming out was unable to do up the preview the way he intended it to be.

Again not big issues to some but to others it does mean a lot and with so many school and coaches finding away to get these minute details done I still find it hard to believe this matter could not have been handled a lot better and more professionally then it was.

When was the media night? Plain and simple is it's his job to win football games and have his young men prepared every Friday night and that's what Johnson Central hired him for. I can guarantee you he's not going to miss any time on the practice field so he can attend a media night that is over two hours away. The thought of him doing so is flat out dumb.

All teams are expected to have representation at the media night, it is part of the CV Bowl. If you have a problem with it, don't accept the invitation to play in the bowl, plain and simple. Do you think it's only a sacrifice on JC?

The people in the press box had to make an announcement that even they needed a roster to use. I understand a coach is busy, way busy sometime but I would think he could find the time to get a roster, a complete roster to the people trying to do their preview up right or at least to the people in the press box who really do need on to do their job well. Or he could give that job and others like it to another person involved with the team.

I now in talking too at least one newspaper guy who did a preview he was up to late working hard on his and without needed information that was requested well in advance to the preview coming out was unable to do up the preview the way he intended it to be.

Again not big issues to some but to others it does mean a lot and with so many school and coaches finding away to get these minute details done I still find it hard to believe this matter could not have been handled a lot better and more professionally then it was.

If the newspaper guy to whom you refer is the same one who used this forum to rake Matney over the coals last season for not sending him a roster in a timely manner, Matney may have been paying him back. I am not justifying what Matney did or did not do, but I am not so sure that anybody commenting on this issue is aware of all of the facts.

Sheldon Clark played Johnson Central many times while Matney coached the team and I don't recall him being involved in any off field controversies at all. If Matney has been less than cooperative with the folks involved with the Cumberland Valley Bowl, maybe there is a reason for his actions of which none of us are aware. I don't think that it is fair to condemn Matney for something without having all of the facts and I doubt that Coach Matney is going to sign up with BGP and present a defense.

If the newspaper guy to whom you refer is the same one who used this forum to rake Matney over the coals last season for not sending him a roster in a timely manner, Matney may have been paying him back. I am not justifying what Matney did or did not do, but I am not so sure that anybody commenting on this issue is aware of all of the facts.

Sheldon Clark played Johnson Central many times while Matney coached the team and I don't recall him being involved in any off field controversies at all. If Matney has been less than cooperative with the folks involved with the Cumberland Valley Bowl, maybe there is a reason for his actions of which none of us are aware. I don't think that it is fair to condemn Matney for something without having all of the facts and I doubt that Coach Matney is going to sign up with BGP and present a defense.

I have no clue if is the same person and can't say for sure if this person post on any site. I was also not aware anyone ran the coach over the coals. I did not know this site allowed that kind of stuff but, then again now that I am no longer a mod I don't read as many post as I did back then.

All teams are expected to have representation at the media night, it is part of the CV Bowl. If you have a problem with it, don't accept the invitation to play in the bowl, plain and simple. Do you think it's only a sacrifice on JC?
Is that expectation part of the contract that JC signed? If so, then you have a case. If not, then maybe the CV organizers should amend the contract terms.

I have no clue if is the same person and can't say for sure if this person post on any site. I was also not aware anyone ran the coach over the coals. I did not know this site allowed that kind of stuff but, then again now that I am no longer a mod I don't read as many post as I did back then.
Maybe Matney deserved the criticism last seeason as well, NCF, but the expectation of professionalism cuts both ways. Publicly airing one's complaints about a coach in a high school sports forum did not seem like an appropriate way for a journalist to handle what was essentially a problem at work. The thread has not been archived, so you should be able to find it if you want to review it. It's not a big deal, but I have no idea what the tone of the communication between the reporter and Matney was last year. Nor do I know what the fallout from that issue was. All I know is that Matney and his Sheldon Clark team always conducted themselves with class when they played the Golden Eagles, both in Paintsville and Inez. (Although a few of SC's fans got a little out of hand following a home loss to JC one year.)