The Lexington/Central KY Power Rankings – August 30, 2015. Sponsored by Jess FM 105.9

The Lexington / Central Kentucky Power Rankings – August 30, 2015 Sponsored by Jess FM 105.9

The Rankings

10) Bourbon County (4A / 1 – 0)

Bourbon had an early off-week this week.

9) Anderson County (5A / 2 – 0)

Anderson squeaked by George Rogers Clark, 27 to 26. A win is a win. But this one is less than impressive, especially since this was GRC’s first game of the season. Anderson County has Mercer, Boyle County and Franklin County the next three games. The Bearcats will need to step it up against these teams to stay on the list.

8) Lexington Christian (2A / 2 – 0)

The Lexington Christian Eagles enter the Top 10 with another big offensive performance. After beating Williamsburg in Week 0 by a score of 51 – 0, the Eagles beat Kentucky Country Day 55 – 34. Has former UK head coach Guy Morris, now an assistant coach for the Eagles, injected a spark to this team that struggled last year? The Eagles have a 2 – 0 Green County this week.

7) Bryan Station (6A / 1 – 1)

The Defenders lost to a very good Simon Kenton, 52 - 36. Station has Northern Kentucky giant-killer Cooper next.

6) Danville (2A / 2 – 0)

The Admirals sailed past 4A Rockcastle County this week, 46 – 18. Avoiding the trap game, Danville now goes into the annual match-up with in-county rival Boyle County not only undefeated, but with two impressive wins to start the season.

5) Franklin County (4A / 2 – 0)

The Flyers beat in-county rival 3A Western Hills 20 to 7. Coming up for the Flyers is Woodford County that is knocking the Top-10 door.

4) Lexington Catholic (3A / 1 – 1)

The Knights hosted the Ryle Raiders, who is under former OC Mike Engler, in the annual Traditional Bank Bluegrass Bowl. Unfortunately, the Knights were again kind host (It’s been since 2009 since the Knights have won their own bowl) and let Ryle escape with a 31 – 24 win after leading 21 to 14 at half. The Knights host Johnson Central this week.

3) Boyle County (3A / 2 - 0)

The Rebels beat the Bell County Bobcats 41 to 7 in their own bowl game. Josiah Robbins threw four TD passes, two to Mack Cox in a game that was not as close as many predicted. This passing game was not on display in the big win over Central Hardin. Robbins continues to show he is an exceptional player. Next up for the Rebels is Danville. Both teams go into the match undefeated this season.

2) Lafayette (6A / 2 – 0)

The Generals beat Mercer County 53 to 13, A solid win. The Generals will have step it up this week against Trinity. The Generals will be definite underdogs for this game. An upset or a close game helps the case for them being high in the Top-10.

1) Scott County (6A / 2 – 0)

The Cardinals defeated defending 5A Champion Pulaski County at home 53 to 31. This impressive win moves the Cardinals to the top spot this week. The Cardinals will get to test this new #1 this week as the Highlands comes into town for another big game. Bring some pillow cases for that game as the Cardinals and Bluebirds should claw away at each other.

Ranking notes

Big Movers

Henry Clay drops all the way out of the Top-10 this week. Though not the first team to have trouble getting off to a good start against the St. X Tigers, the Blue Devils were outplayed most of the game. There were some sparks and the Blue Devils have some very good players. But as of now, its just not there.

The Lexington Christian Eagles seem to have things rolling again. Since going to 2A they have had some struggles but they start the season with two impressive 50 point plus wins. Against Kentucky Country Day they posted 645 yards of offense with two quarterbacks combining for a 17 for 20 passing performance and sophomore running back Dillon Weatley rusing for 231 yards.

In the Wings

Woodford County got its first win under Dennis Johnson beating West Jessamine 48 – 20. To make a case to be in the list The Yellowjackets need a win this week against Franklin County.

Garrard County bounced back from an opening loss with a solid win over Madison Southern. The Golden Lions need to win their next few games leading up the October 9th showdown with Boyle County.

Paris is now 2 – 0. Its hard to compare the very small 1A schools, especially with the schedules they play. But Greyhounds are off to a good start.

Game of the Week

Highlands (5A) vs Scott County (6A)

This game features two of the top heavyweights in the state of Kentucky. Highlands travels to Scott County for this one. Both teams will be bringing it all Friday night with Scott County wanting to show they are ready for another 6A Championship run. Highlands will want to avoid losing to another in-state school in only three games and avoid being less than .500 three games into the season. This should be a dozy.

Other key games in Central Kentucky include the traditional match-up of 3A Boyle County and 2A Danville, and #2 6A Lafayette at 6A Trinity.

For radio with local focus be sure to check out our sponsor WNJK FM / Jess FM 105.9.

After looking at their results their first two weeks, I can't understand how a woeful Woodford Co. team is getting consideration but Madison Central is not. For example Madison Central beat PLD 47-6, #2 ranked Lafayette won 43-21 over the same team. Woodford Co. struggled to put away West Jessamine who just might be the worst large school team in this area.

Henry Clay gets penalized for losing to St. Xavier, yet Lexington Catholic doesn't for losing to Ryle?

I know rankings are tough and subjective but these are head scratchers for sure.

After looking at their results their first two weeks, I can't understand how a woeful Woodford Co. team is getting consideration but Madison Central is not. For example Madison Central beat PLD 47-6, #2 ranked Lafayette won 43-21 over the same team. Woodford Co. struggled to put away West Jessamine who just might be the worst large school team in this area.

Henry Clay gets penalized for losing to St. Xavier, yet Lexington Catholic doesn't for losing to Ryle?

I know rankings are tough and subjective but these are head scratchers for sure.

Henry Clay - St. X was 13-40 with St. X outplaying them almost the whole game.

LexCath - Ryle was 24-31 and was a tightly contested game down to LexCath's last drive.

Plus the former was 6A vs 6A where the latter was 3A vs 6A, so I doesn't surpise me that Henry Clay was graded harder.

GRC should get some consideration since they were up by 13 points over #9 Anderson County with 4 minutes remaining in the 1st half. If not for the 2 pick-sixes and the fumble late in the 1st half, GRC wins this game by double digits.

Good points. GRC seems to be a better team this year than previous years. They have Henry Clay this week and that should provide a good data point. Then Montgomery County followed by Bourbon County. They need to win those becaus the next 3 after that stretch are Scott County Ryle and Lafayette.

I would not rank this as a bad loss for GRC or a quality win for Anderson Co. But a wins a win and loss is a loss. Not a doubter but need another game or two after a loss. I will certainly keep them in the mix if they get the job done next week and next 3 weeks.

Henry Clay - St. X was 13-40 with St. X outplaying them almost the whole game.

LexCath - Ryle was 24-31 and was a tightly contested game down to LexCath's last drive.

Plus the former was 6A vs 6A where the latter was 3A vs 6A, so I doesn't surpise me that Henry Clay was graded harder.

That's a good summary. Was at both games. Talking to some HC folks on sidelines the word 'rebuilding year' kept coming up. I am sure seniors hate hearing that and with a D1 commit on the team you want to have the best run possible and build on solid record the pervious year. But it seems the expectations are somewhat low at Henry Clay. I think the 'rebuilding talk' may hurt them on the field. They have some good players and some play makers so they could get back in the mix.

On LexCath I see where it looks like they were 'rewarded' since they moved up. And a loss should not really do that. With Anderson Co. having a squeaker (that GRC Reporter points could have easily been a loss) and Bryan Station losing at home that left Franklin Co. and Danville. Maybe one of them should have moved up over LexCath. But did not feel the loss to Ryle - that came down to the last series - was enough to move them over the Knights.

Madison Central is in the wings, that was an oversight. They have Bourbon Co., Bryan Station and LexCath the next three games. The win over Wayne County looks even better in hindsight since Wayne had a good bounce back win this past weekend. Knowing the Dunbar program I do hate to use the Bulldogs are a key measuring stick. But, as stated above - a win is a win - and MC did have a more than solid win against the Bulldogs.

That's a good summary. Was at both games. Talking to some HC folks on sidelines the word 'rebuilding year' kept coming up. I am sure seniors hate hearing that and with a D1 commit on the team you want to have the best run possible and build on solid record the pervious year. But it seems the expectations are somewhat low at Henry Clay. I think the 'rebuilding talk' may hurt them on the field. They have some good players and some play makers so they could get back in the mix.

It seems like its always "wait 'til next year" for Henry Clay.

LCA is the only team I am not sold on...they have played severely inferior competition

Williamsburg has been a 1a power for a while, I consider that a solid win even if I am not sold on LCA being this high in the list.

Williamsburg has been a 1a power for a while, I consider that a solid win even if I am not sold on LCA being this high in the list.

Williamsburg is way down this year though after losing basically everyone.

Somerset also crushed Williamsburg.

I don't think its safe to say a team is down just because they lose everyone from a previous year. Plenty of team reload with fully revamped rosters. I stick with tradition on this one and consider that a solid win. Like I said I am not sold on LCA being a top 10 team especially when you consider that they are ranked higher than the likes of Bourbon county, but I still think its a fine win.