10) Lloyd Memorial (2A / 1-1) – The Juggernauts quietly posted an impressive 8-3 record last season from Erlanger. This year, they’ve started things off very well by first beating 2A rival Walton-Verona last week, and then giving the perineal 1A powerhouse Beechwood a solid game in the first half of their contest this week before the Tigers’ experience was able to overtake the Juggs in the second half as they beat Lloyd 48-22. Look for Lloyd to give 5A Grant County all they can handle this week in Dry Ridge.

9) Newport Central Catholic (2A / 0-2) – Two losses in a row to open up the 2015 football season for the Breds. They lost 7-8 last week against 4A Scott, and this week they were beaten 0-35 by the 6A Cooper Jaguars. With their first 5 games all against teams from bigger classes, it’s tough to say where New Cath’s season in 2A will end up quite yet, but the Breds have a lot to improve on this year on offense, with only one touchdown to show for their first two games. On the bright side of things, New Cath is still looking forward to the return of standout running back Jacob Smith, and showed a lot of defensive resolve this week in their loss to Cooper. The Breds take on 6A Campbell County this week.

8) Scott (4A / 2-0) – For anyone who doubted the Eagles last week after only squeaking out a win against 2A New Cath, the Eagles have silenced your doubts. Scott took to the 5A Dixie Colonels this week in Edgewood, winning easily by 29 points under the Friday night lights. Dixie’s only score in the 38-7 contest came via a recovered fumble in the endzone after a botched snap by Scott in the first half. The Eagles take on the Newport Wildcats this Friday.

7) Beechwood (1A / 1-0) – The Tigers didn’t exactly come rolling out of the gate this week in their season opener against Lloyd, but there was no denying by the game’s end that Beechwood is still Beechwood. Winning 48-22 against the 2A Lloyd Juggernauts, the Tigers showed that they are willing to make the necessary adjustments and put out the effort to win their next 1A title. Beechwood makes the trip to Somerset this week to take on the 2-0 Briar Jumpers (2A).

6) Covington Catholic (5A / 0-2) – After losing by a touchdown to the 6A Ryle Raiders last week, there are a lot of questions about the Colonels that remain to be fully answered. They are still waiting to see what sophomore quarterback AJ Mayer can really do, they’ve lost their starting tailback for the season, and they’re still waiting to see how their starting defense can perform, with two of their key defensive players sidelined with injuries. The Colonels had a dismal showing this week in the Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown, losing 57-7 against Cincinnati St. X, and only posting a dismal 21 yards on offense. Their schedule won’t give them much room to breathe, but we will see how Cov Cath fares in the weeks to come.

5) Campbell County (6A / 0-2) – After their week 1 loss to the East Central (IN) Trojans, Campbell County wasn’t cut any slack. This week they headed to Ft. Thomas to take on the 5A defending champion Highlands Bluebirds. Campbell County struck early, putting the first 7 points on the board, but the Birds did what they do best, taking over the game and putting up 38 unanswered points before the Camels were able to add on another 8 points near the end of the game. Campbell County will be looking to rebound against New Cath this week when the Thoroughbreds come to play them in Claryville.

4) Ryle (6A / 2-0) – The Raiders hang on at #4 . They may have only beaten 5A Covington Catholic by 7 points last week, but their offensive performance was far better than the score let on. This week Ryle traveled to Lexington, and although they struggled taking on 3A power Lexington Catholic in a late night game, the Raiders came home with the W, winning 31-24. Boone County shouldn’t give them any trouble this week, but with Highlands, Cooper, and Simon Kenton looming in the weeks to come, we’ll see what kind of grit this Ryle team really has.

3) Highlands (5A / 1-1) – Highlands was looking at their first 0-1 season in since 2002 this year after last Friday’s loss to the 6A Cooper Jaguars, and although 6A Campbell County drew first blood in this week’s game, there was not much stopping the Birds as they fought their way to a 38-15 win over the Camels. The Birds need to keep working to improve each week with teams like Bowling Green and defending 5A champs Pulaski County standing between them and their 24th state championship.

2) Cooper (6A / 2-0) – I said that last week that I won’t have any problem admitting when I didn’t have thing right, so here it is: Cooper is the #2 team in Northern Kentucky, and after seeing what they have done in their first two games this season, it looks like I underestimated them in the power rankings last week. We’re likely to find out who the #1 team in NKY is in Independence on September 18th. Cooper rolled over New Cath 35-0 this week. The Thoroughbred defense gave it all they could, but the Jags took it all in stride. Cooper is the real deal, and they travel to Lexington to take on the 6A Bryan Station Defenders this Friday.

1) Simon Kenton (6A / 2-0) – The Pioneers are yet to sow any doubts. With a solid win in week 1 against CAL, and now a 52-36 victory against 6A Bryan Station, there’s no denying that Simon Kenton will be the favorite as they travel to Hebron this week to take on the 6A Conner Cougars. The boys from Independence are giving it all they have to make their way back to Bowling Green for the 6A championship this December, and it’s going to take a quite an effort by any of the teams around the 6A bracket to stop them.

Game Of The Week:

Dayton (1A) vs. Pendleton County (3A)

These two teams have both have a hard time winning in recent memory, but this Friday’s game looks to be fairly evenly matched as the Pendleton County Wildcats travel to Dayton to take on the Greendevils. Dayton comes to the game with a 0-2 record, and Pendleton County has an 0-1 record. Which of the two teams will turn up with their first win on the season?

Trending Up:

2A Covington Holy Cross – The Indians are 2-0, beating the 2A Walton-Verona Bearcats 28-14 in their second straight week on the road. Holy Cross appears to have dusted themselves off after last year’s difficult 1-10 season.

1A Ludlow – The Panthers have gotten off to a 2-0 start for a second season in a row, this week beating the 1A Bracken County Polar Bears 24-6 in Brooksville. Are the Panthers turning the corner?

Trending Down:

5A Dixie Heights – The Colonels are struggling this year after having seen one of their best ever seasons last year in their run to becoming the 6A runners up. Dixie was thumped hard by the 4A Scott Eagles this week, with their only points coming after a fumble recovery in the endzone.

2A Walton-Verona – The Bearcats are off to a rough start, being handed a loss by 2A Lloyd Memorial last week, and by losing again this week to the 2A Holy Cross Indians.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

CWB, I know this is a LOT of work and we all appreciate your hard work and insight, but where is the Conner love? Not even trending "up" after a 43-6 win over a 6A county rival?

CWB, I know this is a LOT of work and we all appreciate your hard work and insight, but where is the Conner love? Not even trending "up" after a 43-6 win over a 6A county rival?

I would definitely say that Conner started their season on a high note, beating Boone. There's not much denying that Boone is in the middle of a really bad period right now either, but still, I'd agree that the Cougars look like another team that is trending up.

I would definitely say that Conner started their season on a high note, beating Boone. There's not much denying that Boone is in the middle of a really bad period right now either, but still, I'd agree that the Cougars look like another team that is trending up.

I agree on Conner and they should be in the top ten, probably around 7 just ahead of Beechwood based on the scrimmage result against the Tigers.

1. Cooper

2. Sk

3. Ryle

4. Highlands

5. Covcath

6. Scott

7. Beechwood

8. Campbell

9. Conner

10. NCC

What's the rational having Campbell County in front of CovCath?

I was thinking the same.

I also think Conner will be interesting to follow in the next several weeks.

I also think Ryle may be ranked too low

What's the rational having Campbell County in front of CovCath?

I'd like to hear it too. I know it's just a poll way early in the season but it was just two weeks ago they scrimmaged (for what it's worth) and the game was over pretty quickly.

The Player Of The Week this week is Conner quarterback Kyler Padgett.

Kyler passed for 134 yards and 3 touchdowns in Friday night's game against Boone County, in addition to carrying the ball for 138 yards and 2 rushing touchdowns.

Congratulations Kyler!

The Player Of The Week this week is Conner quarterback Kyler Padgett.

Kyler passed for 134 yards and 3 touchdowns in Friday night's game against Boone County, in addition to carrying the ball for 138 yards and 2 rushing touchdowns.

Congratulations Kyler!

Love Kyler!!! Great kid and great family. Congrats Kyler

I agree on Conner and they should be in the top ten, probably around 7 just ahead of Beechwood based on the scrimmage result against the Tigers.

Beechwood did a lot of experimenting in that first scrimmage versus Conner and it still came down to an incomplete pass in the end zone for the win for Beechwood. The improvement in the second scrimmage when Beechwood started playing more straight, regular season football was huge. IMO, Beechwood wins at least 7 of 10 versus Conner. I am still on the fence about how much better Conner is this year over last year. They are better. I just don't know how much better. This week will help us all out on that one.

I think CWB nailed it this week in his power rankings.