What is the process and accountability of evaluating basketball officials?

Let the Big Business of the KHSAA foot the bill for training and payment for games. Maybe then they could recruit more officials, hold them more accountable, all the while taking some of the financial burden off the schools. What's Julian's salary?

How will they recruit more officials when people such as your self seem to have such little respect for them? Why would they take the job? (It is a job, not a "hobby.")

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "younger" generator is not willing to take the abuse; it is not worth the time, travel or money to them. The majority of officials are 50+ years old and getting older each year. KHSAA and assignors can only provide training to a minimal extent; how exactly do you train officials for a fast paced, physical, never know what is about to happen sport? The only real training is experience.

They have instant reply in professional sports and sometimes cannot get it right. What degree of perfection do you people really expect from high school officials? You crybabies are the main reason there is a shortage of officials.

I will admit (as a former official in 2 sports) that the officials review/training/accountability is flawed in Kentucky. The state does little to oversight and train officials to make them better. Now many of the regional associations take it upon themselves to do some training. (I know NKY Football does a ton) but alot more should be done. There should IMO be paid assessors, that do nothing but grade officials all year long, and provided the feedback to them so that they can improve.

The "younger" generator is not willing to take the abuse; it is not worth the time, travel or money to them. The majority of officials are 50+ years old and getting older each year. KHSAA and assignors can only provide training to a minimal extent; how exactly do you train officials for a fast paced, physical, never know what is about to happen sport? The only real training is experience.

They have instant reply in professional sports and sometimes cannot get it right. What degree of perfection do you people really expect from high school officials? You crybabies are the main reason there is a shortage of officials.

I agree, except that the KHSAA could provide a lot more, they choose not to.

How will they recruit more officials when people such as your self seem to have such little respect for them? Why would they take the job? (It is a job, not a "hobby.")

I think that this is a large part of the inability to recruit officials. It was stated in a previous thread that officiating was nothing more than running up and down the court and blowing a whistle...the part that very few fans get, and more importantly the fans that are often the loudest, is the psychological part of officiating.

Officiating is a brutal "hobby" (Mr. Viking words) that those that are involved in choose to take on.

It would appear from the posts that the majority of the posters that are bashing on officiating quality have either: 1) Never officiated, or 2) Claim to have previously officiated but do not want to now, for whatever excuse.

Most officials that read these posts are likely to approach the content the same way most do in games, chalk it up to fans and ignore it.

It adds no value to the officials ability and adds no overall value to the kids game.

If fans want to pay their money, say whatever it is they say, that's their perogative. The majority have no idea what is involved in the process and don't care to learn.

If you want to come on a board and tell everyone how bad officials are, but make every excuse in the world why you: can't, won't, use to, don't want to, etc.....then you are just a fan with computer and an anonymous face....does anyone really find any credibility to your bashing posts ? Not the sensible ones....

Let the Big Business of the KHSAA foot the bill for training and payment for games. Maybe then they could recruit more officials, hold them more accountable, all the while taking some of the financial burden off the schools. What's Julian's salary?

Not sure about Julian's, but here is the range from the last posting for Assistant Commissioner:

$64,266 to $82,628

We can all probably do the math.

What type of accountability system would you recommend?

1st let me state the obvious: In a Basketball game you have 3 officials to manage 10 players, 4-6 coaches and a host of semi-hostel fans in the stands. This is not an easy job and certainly not for the thin of skin.

Now that said the focus of an accountability program should not be to bash the referees but to support them with a useful critique and evaluation of their performance based on objective criteria such as missed calls, incorrect calls, improper rule implementation and game safety management.

The game of basketball moves to fast to evaluate all of these categories live but the use of video provides a unique opportunity to review and evaluate in an unbiased unemotional setting. Additionally, video is typically taken from the POV of the harshest critics....the fans in the stands and would provide the referees an understanding of what the fans are upset about.

How would I implement such a program. First, I am not a tech guy, but I believe the use of a system similar to HUDL that would allow an evaluator to comment on via a telestrator and submit to the assigned referee to review and self evaluate.

Now, like everything the effectiveness of such a program will depend heavily on the right people in the right positions. First, you must have referees interested in performance improvement. Second, the evaluators must understand the system is about support not about slamming. Lastly, paying for such a program is always difficult. However, if such a program were to work it could be a model for other programs in other states and as a group garner a larger funding pool.

Now, before anyone negatively, jumps my ideas, please know these are my humble opinions quickly typed out on a public forum and certainly not all encompassing of the thoughts about oversight I have had over the past many seasons.

Then why shouldn't we expect them to be in shape, do a good job, and have some accountability?

I think that this is a large part of the inability to recruit officials. It was stated in a previous thread that officiating was nothing more than running up and down the court and blowing a whistle...the part that very few fans get, and more importantly the fans that are often the loudest, is the psychological part of officiating.

Officiating is a brutal "hobby" (Mr. Viking words) that those that are involved in choose to take on.

It would appear from the posts that the majority of the posters that are bashing on officiating quality have either: 1) Never officiated, or 2) Claim to have previously officiated but do not want to now, for whatever excuse.

Most officials that read these posts are likely to approach the content the same way most do in games, chalk it up to fans and ignore it.

It adds no value to the officials ability and adds no overall value to the kids game.

If fans want to pay their money, say whatever it is they say, that's their perogative. The majority have no idea what is involved in the process and don't care to learn.

If you want to come on a board and tell everyone how bad officials are, but make every excuse in the world why you: can't, won't, use to, don't want to, etc.....then you are just a fan with computer and an anonymous face....does anyone really find any credibility to your bashing posts ? Not the sensible ones....

I actually agree with you ...it IS a job. In another thread someone else said it wasn't a regular job, so I chose hobby. But the fact that you are getting paid for a service, have no formal training, people readily accept your mistakes, and have no accountability process in place is absurd to me.

How would I implement such a program. First, I am not a tech guy, but I believe the use of a system similar to HUDL that would allow an evaluator to comment on via a telestrator and submit to the assigned referee to review and self evaluate.

Now, before anyone negatively, jumps my ideas, please know these are my humble opinions quickly typed out on a public forum and certainly not all encompassing of the thoughts about oversight I have had over the past many seasons.

^^^This is DEAD on^^^ Some regions (9th for example) have most schools using HUDL and in turn, officials are getting access to game "tape" for review and use for teaching, evaluation, etc...

Not all schools are using HUDL, so it is limited in some regions.

Watching game video is one of the best ways to self evaluate and improve.

Great idea, you are spot on. Now just get the KHSAA to make this a mandatory part of all schools and we are on our way.

BTW: I have disagreed with you on some posts before, this is one of the most constructive posts on this thread.

I actually agree with you ...it IS a job. In another thread someone else said it wasn't a regular job, so I chose hobby. But the fact that you are getting paid for a service, have no formal training, people readily accept your mistakes, and have no accountability process in place is absurd to me.

Again, your opinion, not at all a fact. You have admitted you know something about the process officials go through, yet you continue to push this mindless notion that no evaluation or accountability goes on, all with no basis.

What's absurd is that we are continuing to have this conversation, with you putting the same information out, not backing any of it up with facts and not offering any solutions.

You obviously have an agenda, you obviously know how it works, yet all you continue to do is complain and offer no solutions...that, my friend, is absurdity.

1st let me state the obvious: In a Basketball game you have 3 officials to manage 10 players, 4-6 coaches and a host of semi-hostel fans in the stands. This is not an easy job and certainly not for the thin of skin.

Now that said the focus of an accountability program should not be to bash the referees but to support them with a useful critique and evaluation of their performance based on objective criteria such as missed calls, incorrect calls, improper rule implementation and game safety management.

The game of basketball moves to fast to evaluate all of these categories live but the use of video provides a unique opportunity to review and evaluate in an unbiased unemotional setting. Additionally, video is typically taken from the POV of the harshest critics....the fans in the stands and would provide the referees an understanding of what the fans are upset about.

Now, like everything the effectiveness of such a program will depend heavily on the right people in the right positions. First, you must have referees interested in performance improvement. Second, the evaluators must understand the system is about support not about slamming. Lastly, paying for such a program is always difficult. However, if such a program were to work it could be a model for other programs in other states and as a group garner a larger funding pool.

I think that this idea has tons of promise. I think that most officials want to do a good job.

Ok...I am obviously missing something in your eyes. Explain the process of becoming an official to me. Also, explain the process of accountability to me...someone stated they don't get to do post season games, which is patently false because I have seen it with my own eyes. And lastly, explain to me how poor performance is not accepted? I am ready to be enlightened!!

Ok...I am obviously missing something in your eyes. Explain the process of becoming an official to me. Also, explain the process of accountability to me...someone stated they don't get to do post season games, which is patently false because I have seen it with my own eyes. And lastly, explain to me how poor performance is not accepted? I am ready to be enlightened!!

I'll bite:

Disclaimer: The following is an overview, each association governs differntly. It is also lengthy :thumb:

The KHSAA does not employ officials.

To be an official in the KHSAA you must pass the Part I test.This demonstrates basic competency of rules knowledge.

Each Region(s) has a designated association, governed by a board of control. The BOC is made up of coaches, AD's, administrators and officials representative of that Region(s). They govern and set up the expectations for all the independent contractors (officials) who belong to that association. This includes training expectations, participation / attendance expectations and generally how games will be assigned, as well as the administrative management of assignments.

Each official pays an annual fee to KHSAA for licensing and a fee to the association to be a member.

Each association typically support some type of summer high school camp by providing officials and that becomes a primary training and evaluation ground for all officials, new and seasoned. Based on that information, preliminary decisions about level and ability are made. Officials receive no reimbursement for this work.

Each association is required to hold training meetings, anywhere from 4 - 8 typically. These occur usually in the later summer / fall timeframe. Review of rules, points of emphasis, video review of plays, walk throughs, Q&A of questions / scenarios and maybe most importantly guest speakers that speak to the nuances of the game. High school and college coaches as well as high school, college and even in some cases NBA officials speak to the groups. Officials recieve no reimbursement for these trainings.

Immediately prior to the season, some associations also provide officials for "hoop fests" etc...similar to summer ball. The use of video, with running commentary on position, performance, etc... is not uncommon.

During the season most officials are evaluated by the assigner at least once, if not multiple times. Not uncommon for this to be 2 -4 times. Typically handwritten notes and brutally honest assessments.

Accountability: as a general rule of thumb as an official: If you kick a rule, you lose a game. This is not a financial hardship penalty, it's a behavior modification principle. If you put the time in to do all I said above, then you kick a rule and lose a game, it becomes a personal penalty. Far more intense is the individual accountability between and amongst officials in their own locker room. We'll leave it at that. Bottom line: if you continually and consistently perform poorly amongst your peers, you can easily be consumed by them.

So I think I probably answered your questions....time for you:

Where did you form your basis for all the accusations about lack of accountability and competency ? If you needed to be enlightened to the extent that I believe you just were....how in the world could you form an opinion by just paying $4 at the door and sitting your self in the stands ? Omnipotence ?

I am ready to be enlightened !!

Edited by BirdBrain
Spelling