Watusi

I have no idea why I didn't get the job??

Remember when high schools used to offer "Home Economics"? Like cooking and sewing? Why not "Life Economics", or "Life Skills" where you learn all of the stuff Watusi mentioned?

I can't remember if my son did or not, but my daughter did and the class also included conflict resolution, self respect and such.

My kids make fun of me when I tell them that a couple of my best classes in my senior year were Food Prep & Management and Foods for Fun….Mrs. Birdbrain doesn't because she understands the value of a man who can get around the kitchen and make her dinner…plus it turns her on ! Need more life skill type classes…not sure what Jr's. Birdbrain(s) are going to do when they are out of the nest !

Right. And throw in volunteering in your community, protecting your reputation, doing your own taxes, taking personal responsibility for your actions, and working hard to overcome adversity instead of playing the blame game.

We can have a weekly guest teacher from BGP, pick your topic. :D

What else should go into our course?

What's a checkbook?

;)

My kids make fun of me when I tell them that a couple of my best classes in my senior year were Food Prep & Management and Foods for Fun….Mrs. Birdbrain doesn't because she understands the value of a man who can get around the kitchen and make her dinner…plus it turns her on ! Need more life skill type classes…not sure what Jr's. Birdbrain(s) are going to do when they are out of the nest !

But, a lot of that can and should be learned at home. I don't necessarily agree that schools should be required to teach all things to all kids. I taught my kids how to cook, wash clothes, interact with authority figures, interview skills, resume writing, small home repairs, minor auto repairs, money management...My daughter, as I mentioned, did have a life skills class in high school, but most things like that can't be learned in a semester or two. You have to raise them in that way.

FWIW, my son does the majority of cooking, and my DIL loves it. She does the majority of desserts. They have a pretty balanced thing going on. :lol:

What's a checkbook?

;)

Fair point. Maybe I should have said being responsible with your "bank account" instead of checkbook.

I would love to teach a class at the local high school on just basic life skills like being responsible with your checkbook, how to save money, building a resume', how to apply and interview for a job, workplace etiquette, work ethic, etc. etc.

I'm right there with you 2C, and WE don't need a college degree to teach these kind of class. :thumb:

Right. And throw in volunteering in your community, protecting your reputation, doing your own taxes, taking personal responsibility for your actions, and working hard to overcome adversity instead of playing the blame game.

How about the pros and cons of owning your own business?

Fair point. Maybe I should have said being responsible with your "bank account" instead of checkbook.

Probably. Because somewhere out there, is someone who thinks they still have money in their account....because they still have checks left!

When I go for interviews I wear my lavender or or pink dress shirt as opposed to a plain white shirt with black tie. I think it helps.

Let me ask this to any employers on here…

How long should your resume be? I have a pretty decent looking resume but condense it down to one page. Do employers want a multi-page resume?

Maybe simon says, so that they learn to follow simple directions. Seems that quite a few of todays youth struggle with this.

I would love to teach a class at the local high school on just basic life skills like being responsible with your checkbook, how to save money, building a resume', how to apply and interview for a job, workplace etiquette, work ethic, etc. etc.

Yes, some of the basic life skills we were taught way back when.

When I go for interviews I wear my lavender or or pink dress shirt as opposed to a plain white shirt with black tie. I think it helps.

How long should your resume be? I have a pretty decent looking resume but condense it down to one page. Do employers want a multi-page resume?

No longer an employer but 2 pages IMO is fine if that's what it takes. Best case is one page with only relevant work history and additional work history (if requested) on a second page.

1012132_10153950578080494_417955674_n.jpg

I posted this on facebook yesterday and a guy told me I was closed minded and compared my thoughts to 1860's America. :idunno:

The rule of thumb is always 1 page with a nice cover letter. Most places have you complete an application with your full work history. A resume should be an eye catcher with the most relevent work history to what you are applying for listed. That's what I've always been told and done anyway.

I've never had to interview. However, I've been the interviewer many times. I'm not sure that there was a time that the appearance of the resume' ever really made much of an impact on me. While I'm not allowed to ask, I tried to determine if they were a smoker, because if it came down to it, and 2 were equal, I'd choose the non-smoker. I hired on communication skill more than anything else I suppose. I went off the reservation once, hired a chick because she was substantially hotter than the other candidate that I was considering. She had the personality of a pair of scissors and I told her it didn't work out after 2 weeks, and thankfully the other girl was still available and I hired her and she was a terrific employee. Yep, shallow Hal.