Wireman

Happy Osborne is New Head Coach at Montgomery County

Here is what I could find:

A native of Lynch, Ky., Osborne began his tenure at Georgetown as an assistant coach in 1980, serving for 14 years before being promoted to the head position in 1996. In his 15 years as head coach, Osborne has been named the Mid-South Conference Coach of the Year six times, won nine of the last 12 MSC titles, and posted at least 25 wins each season. He holds the distinction of being the fastest coach at any college basketball level to post 100 career wins. He holds the same distinction among coaches who have won 400 games.

He played high school basketball at Lynch High School, where his father was the school superintendent before going on to serve as a student assistant at both Pikeville College and Morehead State.

He is married to Bobbi Osborne and the couple has one daughter.

Tennessee Tech Athletics: Happy Osborne

Thanks!

I've been told by a school administrator that this has been in the works for a while. The hold up was if Happy would take the Job. I'm told its a package deal with his spouse that will make Happy the highest paid coach in the history of high school basketball. Montgomery Countians can thank Phil Rison for this hire because he was not coming if he has to answer to MC Current AD who I'm told every citizen in MC wants to run him out of town. I think this is a great hire and will put the Indians back on the map as a regional contentender. I'm also told that baseball coach Gene Combs has resigned effective at the end of the year. I think Combs was a good coach until the AD game to town. I hear a lot of upset people are protesting this move. Who is the AD ? Everyone I ask don't have anything positive to say about this man. Happy will not go after the Moreheads job. I think Kelly Wells will walk Moreheads to get that job.

Although I am still upset with the way Coach Wise was treated, I can back this hire. I am looking forward to seeing who is on his staff and how Coach Osborne handles the Middle School program.

Osborne’s top assistant at Montgomery County will be former Indians’ star Billy Ray Fawns, who played for Osborne at Georgetown.

» Happy Osborne new Montgomery County coach Fields Notes

I've been told by a school administrator that this has been in the works for a while. The hold up was if Happy would take the Job. I'm told its a package deal with his spouse that will make Happy the highest paid coach in the history of high school basketball. Montgomery Countians can thank Phil Rison for this hire because he was not coming if he has to answer to MC Current AD who I'm told every citizen in MC wants to run him out of town. I think this is a great hire and will put the Indians back on the map as a regional contentender. I'm also told that baseball coach Gene Combs has resigned effective at the end of the year. I think Combs was a good coach until the AD game to town. I hear a lot of upset people are protesting this move. Who is the AD ? Everyone I ask don't have anything positive to say about this man. Happy will not go after the Moreheads job. I think Kelly Wells will walk Moreheads to get that job.

What's the deal with the current AD at Montgomery? Why has he got so many people upset?

The current AD's name is Gene Heffington.

The dollar figure I heard shocked me. If its correct then there's a lot more wrong in Montgomery Co. Than meets the eye.

What position other than Boys Varsity Coach will Happy fill, and what position did his wife fill?

To answer some questions some people are asking, and this is based on what I know which isn't much more than anyone else knows. President Crouch at Georgetown is not a very popular man when the college was looking at going D3 he was quoted as saying that "none of our teams are national championship contending teams". Crouch burned a lot of bridges with Georgetown alum and especially athletes/coaches. I think this is the biggest reason Happy left Georgetown as well as the fact that there was a chance they would move to D3.

As far as the new super at Montgomery County I can't even begin to describe how terrible he is. Teachers in the system fear everday that they will loose their jobs, many people say you can never guess his mood and he will fire anyone at anytime. People that have been in the system for years are being fired and there are some talks of lawsuits which the school district would have to pay. Every principle at the high school and middle school has been let go or will be let go before next year. For the record I know Phil Rison had more impact on hiring Happy than the new super, Montgomery County had the perfect canidate for the job in Phil but didn't take it and now they are paying.

Another bit of knowlegde that I know, Happy loves the city of Lexington and Mount Sterling's location is perfect for what he was looking for, as a Montgomery County fan I have surprised but happy that we got Happy.

To answer some questions some people are asking, and this is based on what I know which isn't much more than anyone else knows. President Crouch at Georgetown is not a very popular man when the college was looking at going D3 he was quoted as saying that "none of our teams are national championship contending teams". Crouch burned a lot of bridges with Georgetown alum and especially athletes/coaches. I think this is the biggest reason Happy left Georgetown as well as the fact that there was a chance they would move to D3.

As far as the new super at Montgomery County I can't even begin to describe how terrible he is. Teachers in the system fear everday that they will loose their jobs, many people say you can never guess his mood and he will fire anyone at anytime. People that have been in the system for years are being fired and there are some talks of lawsuits which the school district would have to pay. Every principle at the high school and middle school has been let go or will be let go before next year. For the record I know Phil Rison had more impact on hiring Happy than the new super, Montgomery County had the perfect canidate for the job in Phil but didn't take it and now they are paying.

Another bit of knowlegde that I know, Happy loves the city of Lexington and Mount Sterling's location is perfect for what he was looking for, as a Montgomery County fan I have surprised but happy that we got Happy.

And incredibly enough, poor little non-contending Georgetown, in calendar year 2011, took it's football team AND its men's basketball teams to the NAIA Final Four.

And incredibly enough, poor little non-contending Georgetown, in calendar year 2011, took it's football team AND its men's basketball teams to the NAIA Final Four.

There is a story coming out soon about what went on at Gtown. Stay tuned...

Osborne’s top assistant at Montgomery County will be former Indians’ star Billy Ray Fawns, who played for Osborne at Georgetown.

» Happy Osborne new Montgomery County coach Fields Notes

I think Billy Ray will serve more as the top advisor more so than the top assistant. Billy Ray runs the local water company and has many duties that accompany that job, not to mention two young kids that are involved with activities of their own. Billy Ray will be at the practices as much as he can, but he understands his priorities.

I heard rumor that Happy and his wife is earning just under $200,000. How could that be? Also can someone tell me what Happy,s given name is? Thanks

I heard rumor that Happy and his wife is earning just under $200,000. How could that be? Also can someone tell me what Happy,s given name is? Thanks

Robert "Happy" Osborne, Jr

I believe there girls basketball team went to the final four this past March as well.