Just got word that Dunbar's head coach, Justin Yeary has resigned as head coach. I am told that he resigned on his own and was not asked to step down.

I thought they had a good team coming back this year...tough to step away from a good team.

What are your thoughts on possible replacements?

With some solid returners @ Dunbar any chance that Scott Hundley would take it? Didn't he go to school @ Dunbar? I would think that Woodford will be upping his $ a bit after this season!

Article from Mike Fields:

Yeary leaving as Dunbar boys’ hoops coach

Dunbar athletics director Andy Sirginnis said he was “totally shocked” when Yeary told him early this week that he wanted to step down. Sirginnis said there was no pressure on Yeary to leave.

Yeary was an assistant for nine years (eight at Lexington Christian and one at Dunbar) before he became the Bulldogs’ coach in 2010.

Yeary, who inherited a team that finished 3-22 the season before, led Dunbar to a 10-19 record in 2010-11. The Bulldogs went 17-15 this past season and featured two of the top juniors in the city in Mike Smith and William Gary.

Yeary, 31, didn’t rule out the possibility of coaching again, possibly as an assistant.

“I definitely need some time away from it right now,” he said. “I think it’d be a lot easier for me to be an assistant than head coach again. I could maybe do that next season. I don’t know.”

Yeary said Dunbar should be an attractive job. The Bulldogs return Mike Smith and William Gary, who were two of the top scorers in the city as juniors this past season.

I think there will be a lot of interest for this job. Who do you all see as the favorites or front runners? Or is too early to tell with this job right now?

With some solid returners @ Dunbar any chance that Scott Hundley would take it? Didn't he go to school @ Dunbar? I would think that Woodford will be upping his $ a bit after this season!

Really dont think Hundley would leave Woodford for Dunbar, I think he has it better at Woodford.

I could see Hundley leaving now that he graduated his top players and has made it known that he is a good coach who can coach good talent. I would not be surprised to see him go to a year in and year out more talented school. Although i am not sure Dunbar is a better place to be. I think he would want more of a step up than that.

You have to remember, if you want to coach at Dunbar (Fayette), you have to be a teacher. This narrows the candidates tremendously.

You have to remember, if you want to coach at Dunbar (Fayette), you have to be a teacher. This narrows the candidates tremendously.

The ones mentioned are teachers. Don't think it narrows it that much.

In Fayette Co your teaching certificate has to fit an opening and you have to be the best teaching candidate... It's generally not like the county schools where positions are created for coaches.

The ones mentioned are teachers. Don't think it narrows it that much.

Actually it does narrow the field. You would be amazed how many coaches throughout the state do not teach full loads. I can remember all of the "BIG" names that applied after Frank Watson retired andhow many of the "Big" names pulled out or were turned away because of the teaching demand.

Actually it does narrow the field. You would be amazed how many coaches throughout the state do not teach full loads. I can remember all of the "BIG" names that applied after Frank Watson retired andhow many of the "Big" names pulled out or were turned away because of the teaching demand.

Who are some of these big names?