gold sunrise

Who will be the new coach at Montgomery County?

A lot of talk about Happy Osbourne taking this job, however I have a lot of trouble believing that. Secondly, if he did then he would have been offered an absurd amount of money to take it. I also question how long would he stay at MCHS if he took the job. I don't think he would stay long and if he doesn't produce regional championships then how long til you boot him? I'm not saying the job is all about winning but let's face the facts, that expectation will be there if he comes.

Can someone explain to me why Happy would leave a college assistant job to come coach HS? Am I out of the loop here?
He has a lot of friends and family in Central Kentucky and misses them.

He has a lot of friends and family in Central Kentucky and misses them.

I figured as much, just didn't know if there were direct ties to the school.

IMO he would be a one and done with the senior class and him leaving at the same time. I still keep hearing they are looking for someone with college experience to develop players on this team for the next level and that it was felt players were not developing under Wise. I can't see any scenario where if Happy wants to coach for several more years that he would not go back to the college level.

You don't need a coach with college experience to develop players so they can play at the next level. If a player is good enough, they will play at the next level. The college coaches will find them, either through AAU or High School ball; also, there are so many local, regional, statewide, and national scouts/recruiting services/so-called-experts on prep basketball out there that it guarentees if you're "good enough", you will be identified.

You are not going to find many college coaches that would step down to the high school level with a coaching stipend to coach a high school team. Schools have to follow the district payroll and stipend policy. If they pay a boys coach a certain dollar amount they have to pay the same amount to the girls coach.

Happy coming back to coach Montgomery Co., no way.

You don't need a coach with college experience to develop players so they can play at the next level. If a player is good enough, they will play at the next level. The college coaches will find them, either through AAU or High School ball; also, there are so many local, regional, statewide, and national scouts/recruiting services/so-called-experts on prep basketball out there that it guarentees if you're "good enough", you will be identified.

You are not going to find many college coaches that would step down to the high school level with a coaching stipend to coach a high school team. Schools have to follow the district payroll and stipend policy. If they pay a boys coach a certain dollar amount they have to pay the same amount to the girls coach.

Unless they offer him a different position along with his coaching stipend to sweeten the deal. I would imagine that there are plenty of coaches out there making $75k plus that aren't teaching any classes or doing much more than coaching.

Could Happy be recruiting Omar for Tennessee Tech? That is one of his duties at Tech as the associate coach.

A lot of talk about Happy Osbourne taking this job, however I have a lot of trouble believing that. Secondly, if he did then he would have been offered an absurd amount of money to take it. I also question how long would he stay at MCHS if he took the job. I don't think he would stay long and if he doesn't produce regional championships then how long til you boot him? I'm not saying the job is all about winning but let's face the facts, that expectation will be there if he comes.

The bolded is the same thing my husband and I talked about. Like you, I have toruble believing it too. Maybe I will have my husband give him a call and find out.....biggrin.gif

The bolded is the same thing my husband and I talked about. Like you, I have toruble believing it too. Maybe I will have my husband give him a call and find out.....biggrin.gif

Maybe your husband could come over and coach Montgomery County!:lol: That would cause a shift in the earths rotation!!!!

I think when all the details come out a lot of people will be shocked, but I have heard from people in high places in MC that all they are waiting for is Happy to accept (and of course he could change his mind) and that he will be getting a lot of money. Probably a lot of different duties with little to no responsiblities (Billy Hicks package).

I think when all the details come out a lot of people will be shocked, but I have heard from people in high places in MC that all they are waiting for is Happy to accept (and of course he could change his mind) and that he will be getting a lot of money. Probably a lot of different duties with little to no responsiblities (Billy Hicks package).

so Happy will be teaching Drivers Ed and locating workers for a Mt. Sterling factory?? :banana::banana:

Maybe your husband could come over and coach Montgomery County!:lol: That would cause a shift in the earths rotation!!!!

:lol: Talk about a house divided......:lol:

One could also refer to that as the "Gene Heffington Package".

I've always felt Happy would be a great fit at EKU... You can bet he will get the best effort out of Prewitt if he comes to MC.

You are right you don't need a coach with college experience to get players to the next level unless that is the agenda of the "new direction" you are going after.

I can confirm 100% that Happy Osborne is not in the running at Montgomery County. That is confirmed, verified, whatever you want to call it.