Majority of Americans Identify as "Pro-Choice" Instead of "Pro-Life"

Page 2 of The correlation between religion, political party and views on abortion. circa 2006. Religion, Politics Inform Americans' Views on Abortion Advertiseme... 166 comments | 5315 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,977

    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer.Pride View Post
    Abortion - only when the life of the mother is at risk. All other options include giving a child up for adoption, so there really no moral ground for ending the life of a child.

    A woman doesn't ask to be brutally raped. For the state to take away her option to decide for herself seems ...well, not good. I would want my daughter or grand-daughter to be able to choose whether or not to go through with a rape-induced pregnancy for nine months.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 15
    Posts
    2,054

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    If your daughter or grand-daughter was brutally raped( pardon such a horrible thought but just a hypothetical) by a stranger and on top of that suffered a severe beating that left her life in peril, would you want her(or family) to be able to decide what she wanted to do or should she or her family have no choice in the matter? She shouldn't have the option to terminate the unwanted pregnancy if that's what she decided to do?
    This is a hard one. There is never an excuse for rape, stranger or spouse or acquaintance, a horrid act. Yes, if her injuries demand the need to abort to allow her to recover from the rape and beating. But if her health and age is such, she could give the child up for adoption. Don't make the child of rape pay for the rapist' lawless act. Before you ask me, yes I am for capital punishment. I know a contradiction and always a battle with my own conscience. You are always a hard discussion. Makes me look inward and everything isn't always cut and dried.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,977

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsaholic Mamaw View Post
    This is a hard one. There is never an excuse for rape, stranger or spouse or acquaintance, a horrid act. Yes, if her injuries demand the need to abort to allow her to recover from the rape and beating. But if her health and age is such, she could give the child up for adoption. Don't make the child of rape pay for the rapist' lawless act. Before you ask me, yes I am for capital punishment. I know a contradiction and always a battle with my own conscience. You are always a hard discussion. Makes me look inward and everything isn't always cut and dried.
    So true. Tough issue, for sure.

    Thank you mamaw. I really do appreciate your opinion and for taking time to respond to my questions. Even though we disagree, your responses are very thoughtful . Have a good evening.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,217

    Time for my age-old BGP question for those who say that an abortion is taking an innocent life like murder does.

    We put murderers to death or in prison for a long time. Are you ready to put a mother in prison?

  5. #20

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,217

    I am pro-life in my belief that it is wrong to have an abortion.

    However, I would NEVER support putting a mother in prison for having one.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,977

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Time for my age-old BGP question for those who say that an abortion is taking an innocent life like murder does.

    We put murderers to death or in prison for a long time. Are you ready to put a mother in prison?

    Really good question, Clyde. I posed the same question before on this very board years ago. For those who believe that abortion should be illegal and believe it to be just as much murder as any other, what punishment would you set for a woman committing this "crime" ? Hypothetically, if Roe v. Wade was overturned and abortion became illegal, what sentence should be given for a woman who had an abortion and was convicted? Twenty Five to life, no parole? Death?

  7. #22
    MayfieldFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    1,105

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsaholic Mamaw View Post
    Anti-abortion means just that, however pro-life also includes anti-infanticide or anti-genocide or euthanasia. Great minds should also agree that abortion stops a beating heart. I don't really see any difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion except it sounds more socially acceptable. Yes, I know a fetus if not allowed to remain cannot sustain it's own life, so do you consider an unborn child a parasite? Do you also agree with the practice of drowning newly born kittens or puppies in a pillowcase, since no one wanted them around the farm or neighborhood. And yes as a child I tried to find them homes when the animals had not been spayed or neutered. This is one thing we will never agree on. Because Abortion stops a beating heart if not interrupted.
    Not always, on the "stops a beating heart." Many abortions occur before the heart develops (around week 5) or before it beats regularly (week 6-7). What percentage of abortions occur before week five? IDK. Around 85-92 percent occur before week 13. But definitely they don't all stop a beating heart.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,095

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsaholic Mamaw View Post
    Anti-abortion means just that, however pro-life also includes anti-infanticide or anti-genocide or euthanasia. Great minds should also agree that abortion stops a beating heart. I don't really see any difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion except it sounds more socially acceptable. Yes, I know a fetus if not allowed to remain cannot sustain it's own life, so do you consider an unborn child a parasite? Do you also agree with the practice of drowning newly born kittens or puppies in a pillowcase, since no one wanted them around the farm or neighborhood. And yes as a child I tried to find them homes when the animals had not been spayed or neutered. This is one thing we will never agree on. Because Abortion stops a beating heart if not interrupted.

    I can agree with everything you say except that there is no difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion. I have not yet met one person who wants to kill a child. I personally have never met anyone who doesn't consider a fetus a child. But I know they're out there.

    I would like to extend the conversation a little bit, if you don't mind. What do you see as the solution to eliminating the reasons people have abortions. Do you believe overturning Roe v Wade will eliminate abortions?

  9. #24
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,193

    This is also a good time to ask all those folks who describe themselves as "pro-life" what their opinion is on the death penalty.

  10. #25
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    This is also a good time to ask all those folks who describe themselves as "pro-life" what their opinion is on the death penalty.
    I'll answer. I'm all for the death penalty. And I'm against abortion. Are there circumstances where I'd be for an abortion? Sure. And I think most folks with common sense would agree. As for the death penalty, when the first fetus blows up a federal building, I'll recant.

  11. #26
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Unanimous #MVP
    Posts
    55,476

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    Especially in the last 7 years

  12. #27
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Unanimous #MVP
    Posts
    55,476

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    I'll answer. I'm all for the death penalty. And I'm against abortion. Are there circumstances where I'd be for an abortion? Sure. And I think most folks with common sense would agree. As for the death penalty, when the first fetus blows up a federal building, I'll recant.
    You can't pick and choose when you want to be Pro-Life. JMO, of course.

  13. #28
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,193

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    I'll answer. I'm all for the death penalty. And I'm against abortion. Are there circumstances where I'd be for an abortion? Sure. And I think most folks with common sense would agree. As for the death penalty, when the first fetus blows up a federal building, I'll recant.
    As Deuce said, then you're not really "pro-life." You're anti-abortion.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    You can't pick and choose when you want to be Pro-Life. JMO, of course.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,561

    1) That is less than the percentage of Americans who agree with Donald Trump on a border wall.

    2) That is an almost 12% drop from the mid 90's but it is the highest in several years.

    3) 68% of Americans oppose taxpayer funded abortion.

  15. #30
    FarBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Slide a piece o' da' porter. Drink side, run da' java. Hey lookie here. I can dig grease 'n chompin' on some butter and draggin' through the garden.
    Posts
    4,829

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Time for my age-old BGP question for those who say that an abortion is taking an innocent life like murder does.

    We put murderers to death or in prison for a long time. Are you ready to put a mother in prison?
    No.......Would you put a abortion provider in prison?

Top