Coronavirus

  1. #1
    ChickenWyngz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 18
    Location
    Brooksville, KY
    Posts
    839

    Coronavirus

    Let's talk about it, sensibly please.

    Just saw a story that the head of NY's Port Authority has now tested positive. I was at a local store this weekend and chuckled at the empty shelves of disinfectant wipes and sanitizer.

    What is your panic level? Should I be more worried?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    45,322

    Well, warmer weather will lessen the strength of the virus significantly. At least there's that.

    The way I see it, I've still gotta live my life. I'll keep right on washing my hands after I go to the bathroom, using a paper towel to open the door in public bathrooms, and covering my mouth when I cough or sneeze, same as I always have.

  3. #3
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    45,322


  4. #4
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Unanimous #MVP
    Posts
    55,701

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Well, warmer weather will lessen the strength of the virus significantly. At least there's that.

    The way I see it, I've still gotta live my life. I'll keep right on washing my hands after I go to the bathroom, using a paper towel to open the door in public bathrooms, and covering my mouth when I cough or sneeze, same as I always have.
    This is where I am. I've been washing/sanitizing my hands a little more than normal, but that's about it. I've still not seen anything that shows this is worse than the flu.

    We are supposed to go on a cruise to the Caribbean April 5th. We have the option to reschedule up until 48 hours before sailing, so I am keeping an eye on things. As of now, we are going.

  5. #5
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,383

    I am no worried about it than I am the Flu. For the record, I don't worry about the flu. I remember when the swine flu was the big one. I had one of my kids get it and they were fine after a few days.

  6. #6
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Posts
    24,415

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    This is where I am. I've been washing/sanitizing my hands a little more than normal, but that's about it. I've still not seen anything that shows this is worse than the flu.

    We are supposed to go on a cruise to the Caribbean April 5th. We have the option to reschedule up until 48 hours before sailing, so I am keeping an eye on things. As of now, we are going.
    I have a cruise planned for June, I don’t see how we go. The spread isn’t close to contained right now.

  7. #7
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Posts
    24,415

    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenWyngz View Post
    Let's talk about it, sensibly and keep it non-political.

    Just saw a story that the head of NY's Port Authority has now tested positive. I was at a local store this weekend and chuckled at the empty shelves of disinfectant wipes and sanitizer.

    What is your panic level? Should I be more worried?
    I think it’s age dependent, the older you are, or regardless of age if you have any underlying health issues, I’d be pretty cautious right now.

  8. #8
    Jumpman4004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    Livin' Life
    Posts
    498

    I am honestly tired of hearing about it. I understand that it has caused deaths but almost all of those people were either elderly, immunocompromised, or some kind of underlying health issue. If you do not freak out about the flu, I do not understand why you would freak out about this. The economic ramifications are a whole other ball of wax however.

  9. #9
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Posts
    24,415

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman4004 View Post
    I am honestly tired of hearing about it. I understand that it has caused deaths but almost all of those people were either elderly, immunocompromised, or some kind of underlying health issue. If you do not freak out about the flu, I do not understand why you would freak out about this. The economic ramifications are a whole other ball of wax however.
    Yup, they will write books about this stock market crash.

  10. #10
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,769

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    I have a cruise planned for June, I don’t see how we go. The spread isn’t close to contained right now.
    We cancelled our June cruise to Alaska leaving out of Vancouver. My 60 year old wife has an immune deficiency. Unfortunately, an easy decision. Plus, my company banned international business travel until further notice. Personal international travel needs to be reported to our HR and I may be subject to a 14 day work from home quarantine when I got back. We'll go another time.

  11. #11
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    23,225

    I worry about it specifically because of my 95-year-old grandmother and my girlfriend's 70-year-old father who's recovering from recent surgery and has respiratory problems. Extremely vulnerable people to this particular disease.

    I worry less about me getting it. I worry a lot about me being out somewhere and then taking it on to them before I even know I'm carrying it.

  12. #12
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    155,894

    Last week one of my gym buddies (Pablo) stood about 8 feet away from me while we talked.

    I told him not pick up any of the dumbbells if he was that serious about it.

    I think it is getting way, way too much coverage and it is creating a great buying opportunity for investors.

  13. #13
    Pura Vida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 14
    Location
    A sky full of stars
    Posts
    1,323

    Honestly I’ve become weirdly panicky about it the last 24 hours, after watching Italy. I kindof had to do breathing exercises on the way to work this morning, not joking lol.

    I just don’t remember the swine flu/H1N1 and SARS being anything like COVID 19. Of course I’m older now so maybe I’m just more cranky and paranoid. At any rate, who cares about sanitizer, I’m gonna stockpile coffee and beer and buzz my way through any quarantine... lol.

  14. #14
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    155,894

    I also just skimmed a report from the CDC that stated the Flu has killed 20,000 Americans this season including 136 children.

  15. #15
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    155,894

    Quote Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
    Honestly I’ve become weirdly panicky about it the last 24 hours, after watching Italy. I kindof had to do breathing exercises on the way to work this morning, not joking lol.

    I just don’t remember the swine flu/H1N1 and SARS being anything like COVID 19. Of course I’m older now so maybe I’m just more cranky and paranoid. At any rate, who cares about sanitizer, I’m gonna stockpile coffee and beer and buzz my way through any quarantine... lol.
    What @Pura Vida said!

Top