Coronavirus

Page 53 of Let's talk about it, sensibly and keep it non-political. Just saw a story that the head of NY's Port Authority has now tested positive. I was at a loca... 1068 comments | 40325 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #781
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    9,345

    Kentucky will be following along with Ohio. Order goes in place tomorrow at 8pm.
    Advertisement

  2. #782
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Posts
    24,415

    Some hospitals in Cincy are running out of mask. There is a movement asking those who can sew to help out. Spread the word and usual social media for more details.

  3. #783

    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    C'BURG
    Posts
    6,734

    Quote Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post
    Starts tomorrow at 11:59pm, so essentially Tuesday. It's a somewhat relaxed order but it will certainly help. We have been told that we can still cross over into Ohio for work.
    Iím having a hard time understanding exactly what is changing in Ohio and possibly Kentucky ?

    Are we just giving what we are currently doing a name ?

    Malls, gyms, etc are already closed...

    What am I missing ?

  4. #784
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    54,445

    Quote Originally Posted by MBWC41 View Post
    I’m having a hard time understanding exactly what is changing in Ohio and possibly Kentucky ?

    Are we just giving what we are currently doing a name ?

    Malls, gyms, etc are already closed...

    What am I missing ?
    I feel like we were asked to stay home, now we are being told to stay home more sternly but yeah, basically not much changes for us that have been putting ourselves in lockdown.

  5. #785
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    54,445

    I am bummed about the loss of supplemental income that I have, but seeing people you care about get laid off cause of this is gut wrenching.

    I've been doing good with all this personally and trying to embrace the lockdown but man, its depressing at times.

  6. #786

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    10,799

    Reports showing up that hydoxychloroquine (Malaria med) is working well after only a day or 2.

    Update: A combination of Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin actually results in eliminating the virus in patients within days.

    Actual 24 page study is here for those with medical background:

    Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19.pdf - Google Drive

  7. #787

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,278

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    I am bummed about the loss of supplemental income that I have, but seeing people you care about get laid off cause of this is gut wrenching.

    I've been doing good with all this personally and trying to embrace the lockdown but man, its depressing at times.
    I'm trying to figure out how long local governments are going to be able to pay their employees, particularly first responders. I think it will vary across the state but if weeks turn into months under these conditions, I just don't see how it can last. Now with that said, I'm not sure how declaring for a state of emergency can help but perhaps it does, maybe even at a federal level.

  8. #788
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    9,345

    Quote Originally Posted by MBWC41 View Post
    Iím having a hard time understanding exactly what is changing in Ohio and possibly Kentucky ?

    Are we just giving what we are currently doing a name ?

    Malls, gyms, etc are already closed...

    What am I missing ?
    In general I believe it's to force the few non essential retail establishments that haven't shut down to do so, which I know isn't that many. But likely the main reason is to keep more of the kids/young adults from going to friends houses, congregating in large groups or not practicing social distancing, etc.

    Just yesterday I was driving past Central Park in Ashland, which is supposed to be closed but the playgrounds were packed. Imo, this is to stop things like that because people aren't listening, now it can be enforced by law enforcement.

  9. #789
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Posts
    24,415

    Dow futures suggest another ugly opening on Wall Street. We will get thru this, but this might be the worst spring/summer we ever see.

  10. #790
    Beechwoodfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    6,044

    I don’t understand asking those who can sew to make masks. A home made mask cannot possibly compare to the N95 which is specifically designed to filter out certain organisms. Health care workers need the real thing.

  11. #791

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    9,144

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    Dow futures suggest another ugly opening on Wall Street. We will get thru this, but this might be the worst spring/summer we ever see.
    Yep. Looks like the help many were looking isn’t going to come as quickly as originally hoped. It’s going to get worse, and maybe a lot worse, before it get better. There are going to be very few who aren’t negatively impacted financially.

  12. #792

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    10,799

    Another tracking site with a different view of data.

    The COVID Tracking Project - Most Recent Data

    Kentucky specific:

    The COVID Tracking Project
    Daily history tracked here. Also total test and results of tests.

  13. #793
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Posts
    24,415

    Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoodfan View Post
    I donít understand asking those who can sew to make masks. A home made mask cannot possibly compare to the N95 which is specifically designed to filter out certain organisms. Health care workers need the real thing.
    In settings where facemasks are not available, HCP might use homemade masks (e.g., bandana, scarf) for care of patients with COVID-19 as a last resort. However, homemade masks are not considered PPE, since their capability to protect HCP is unknown. Caution should be exercised when considering this option. Homemade masks should ideally be used in combination with a face shield that covers the entire front (that extends to the chin or below) and sides of the face.Ē

    Iíve seen the above as a last ditch effort. Iíve also seen hospitals providing material to use thatís been tested and is at least semi-effective. Desperate times, desperate measures.

  14. #794
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    9,345

    Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoodfan View Post
    I don’t understand asking those who can sew to make masks. A home made mask cannot possibly compare to the N95 which is specifically designed to filter out certain organisms. Health care workers need the real thing.
    I'm on board with ya on that. What if the person that made it is sick?

  15. #795
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,769

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    Dow futures suggest another ugly opening on Wall Street. We will get thru this, but this might be the worst spring/summer we ever see.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Yep. Looks like the help many were looking isn’t going to come as quickly as originally hoped. It’s going to get worse, and maybe a lot worse, before it get better. There are going to be very few who aren’t negatively impacted financially.
    Help will happen in the next day and the markets will respond positively.

Top