Coronavirus

Page 33 of Let's talk about it, sensibly and keep it non-political. Just saw a story that the head of NY's Port Authority has now tested positive. I was at a loca... 1982 comments | 99619 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #481

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    9,394

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    I disagree emphatically.
    I do too. Less than 3 weeks ago, this was still being downplayed, and it was even said it was under control. It doesn't appear we took any steps to prepare when this first hit China. And because we didn't prepare, and have tests available, we still don't know how bad this is. Not only that, there are still tons of people that think this is a media hyped event that isn't all that serious. We had a few months to get out ahead of this. We didn't, and now we really need to buckle up for the ride.
    Advertisement

  2. #482
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -- MLK, Jr.
    Posts
    56,186

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    I do too. Less than 3 weeks ago, this was still being downplayed, and it was even said it was under control. It doesn't appear we took any steps to prepare when this first hit China. And because we didn't prepare, and have tests available, we still don't know how bad this is. Not only that, there are still tons of people that think this is a media hyped event that isn't all that serious. We had a few months to get out ahead of this. We didn't, and now we really need to buckle up for the ride.
    I agree. It looks like we have done the right things because so much has happened so fast. I think these measures (and more) are the right ones, but we are weeks behind.

  3. #483
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    I do too. Less than 3 weeks ago, this was still being downplayed, and it was even said it was under control. It doesn't appear we took any steps to prepare when this first hit China. And because we didn't prepare, and have tests available, we still don't know how bad this is. Not only that, there are still tons of people that think this is a media hyped event that isn't all that serious. We had a few months to get out ahead of this. We didn't, and now we really need to buckle up for the ride.
    There is no excuse for us to be in this situation. None.

    It’s wild to me they even today folks are saying, ehhhh, I’ll be all right.

    It ain’t about you.........

  4. #484

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,267

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    I disagree emphatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    I do too. Less than 3 weeks ago, this was still being downplayed, and it was even said it was under control. It doesn't appear we took any steps to prepare when this first hit China. And because we didn't prepare, and have tests available, we still don't know how bad this is. Not only that, there are still tons of people that think this is a media hyped event that isn't all that serious. We had a few months to get out ahead of this. We didn't, and now we really need to buckle up for the ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I agree. It looks like we have done the right things because so much has happened so fast. I think these measures (and more) are the right ones, but we are weeks behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    There is no excuse for us to be in this situation. None.

    It’s wild to me they even today folks are saying, ehhhh, I’ll be all right.

    It ain’t about you.........
    I was speaking specifically to the drastic shutdowns. In China they didn't lock down Wuhan until Jan. 23. By that time COVID-19 had been in circulation for two months with 300 announced cases (speculation is the real number was over 1,000). Compare that to the number of cases in Ohio and Kentucky from the time the first cases were confirmed and to the total cases confirmed. We are doing the lock down way ahead of other countries. We have the benefit of learning from those other countries but nevertheless we are way ahead of them on the lock down timeline.

  5. #485
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I was speaking specifically to the drastic shutdowns. In China they didn't lock down Wuhan until Jan. 23. By that time COVID-19 had been in circulation for two months with 300 announced cases (speculation is the real number was over 1,000). Compare that to the number of cases in Ohio and Kentucky from the time the first cases were confirmed and to the total cases confirmed. We are doing the lock down way ahead of other countries. We have the benefit of learning from those other countries but nevertheless we are way ahead of them on the lock down timeline.
    We aren’t on the same timeline as China. We are on the same timeline as Italy. We aren’t on lockdown. Not even close to one. We aren’t doing the necessary things to prevent it from spreading. And how many official tests have been done so far in the states by CDC? 14K was the last number I heard over the weekend.

    We shouldn’t be comparing ourselves to China at all. The used appropriate measures. We haven’t and people aren’t listening anyways.

    I type this from work where it appears that all 300+ of us are here in the building today. Every time someone coughs I want to punch them in the throat.

  6. #486
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Posts
    24,838

    Report: This could last until July or August.

    That is new news and not welcomed.

  7. #487

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    159

    I understand your point but we have no clue what China did or didn’t do because they will never say. Their news is State ran media outlet and we will never know the truth about numbers or how quickly it spread there.

  8. #488
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    54,762

    I was supposed to go to a wedding Saturday, March 28th. I saw the bride-to-be posted on Facebook that they were postponing the wedding. Not really sure what that means for them, but I'm pretty glad that I don't have to make a decision, which would have led to me not attending.

  9. #489
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    Report: This could last until July or August.

    That is new news and not welcomed.
    That isn’t new news.

  10. #490

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    159

    I think we should go ahead and do this shutdown and get this over with. We need to see a light at the end of the tunnel and need to start this now.

  11. #491
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by STPB View Post
    I understand your point but we have no clue what China did or didn’t do because they will never say. Their news is State ran media outlet and we will never know the truth about numbers or how quickly it spread there.
    They literally shut down the whole country. They just started opening up stores in China last week. They stayed on lockdown until their numbers started to fall. We haven’t even gotten to the worst part yet and folks packed bars and restaurants all weekend. Think of all the strip clubs all across America that were open for business last weekend. Have you seen the pictures of the beaches in Florida right now during spring break?

    We are doing everything the Italians did and as of today 95% of the people I know have no clue where to go get a test for The Corona.

    We have no sports, the Derby probably won’t be ran until September, restaurants and bars are only shut down in some states.

    Has West Virginia recorded their first case yet or are they still immune to it in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia?

    Yeah, we’re doing spectacular.

  12. #492
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by STPB View Post
    I think we should go ahead and do this shutdown and get this over with. We need to see a light at the end of the tunnel and need to start this now.
    Agree 100%.

  13. #493
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    I was supposed to go to a wedding Saturday, March 28th. I saw the bride-to-be posted on Facebook that they were postponing the wedding. Not really sure what that means for them, but I'm pretty glad that I don't have to make a decision, which would have led to me not attending.
    I’m best man in a wedding this weekend that is expected to have 300 guests. I asked the groom if the wedding is still on and he said unless the venue makes them postpone it we are still having the wedding.


    Sigh..........

  14. #494
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -- MLK, Jr.
    Posts
    56,186

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    I’m best man in a wedding this weekend that is expected to have 300 guests. I asked the groom if the wedding is still on and he said unless the venue makes them postpone it we are still having the wedding.


    Sigh..........
    Selfish.

  15. #495

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    159

    We live in an age where the youth of this country is invincible or so they think. Unless parents step in and force these young adults to come home them this thing will keep spreading.

Top