What has Weis done that Willingham didn't?

Page 4 of Originally Posted by bugatti Then why did they even hire him if they are so racist in South Bend? Believe what you want, but I am not buying that at al... 130 comments | 2710 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,388

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachBuckett
    Everyone says Ty couldn't recruit, but was let go before his ecruits could mature into his system.

    Everyone says Chuck can recruit, but says give his guys time to mature in to his system?

    Sounds like a double standard????

    I agree you can't judge Chucks recruits until next year.

    I just wished folks would have waited to see what Ty's recruits could have done..... Wait a minute we did. They went to 2 BCS bowls......
    Look at the guys Ty brought in alot of lower than 4 star guys, that is what made people say he couldn't recruit. However you are right he was given the time to let his players mature, however when it came to recruiting stars out of high schools he didn't do good at it...

    Charlie has brought in some High school stars, actually alot more than Ty did, that is why people say he can recruit because he has brought in top 5 classes. And no his recruits haven't been given the chance. I mean seriously the whole offense and defense is gone from last year, hardly any team will do good TO START THE YEAR with a bunch of first year guys getting their first college experience..
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,388

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime
    With Ty's players. Why can no one grasp this?
    Hmmm...aren't you a person who said that it was Tubby's championship even though it was with Pitinos players? So if you are, then you can't go back and change it for this situation. Yeah he did it with Ty's players, but do you honestly believe Ty would have got them to two BCS bowls with the offense he ran? I mean the defense would have still been weak, and the offense would have still been pretty boring when it comes to plays. So most likely yeah they would have made bowl games but not any BCS games. Also probably wouldn't have Quinn taken in the first round, and probably would have never even heard of Jeff Schmarjia if Ty was still here...

    And now yeah he has SOME of his players playing, yet all these guys are first time players at the college level since they were all sitting behind seniors last year. Both on offense and defense is all new players getting their first experience, so of coarse they are not going to do well this year. Now if they dont show any improvement as the year goes on after they get some experience, then there might be some problems...

  3. #48

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Gee one thing no one seems to realize in all this................ND pretty much had no choice but to extend Weis to keep NFL teams away from him.

    NFL teams have NFL money and like to throw it at whoever had any kind of success in the NFL. Mostly because the NFL owners are too dumb or lazy to actually evaluate any kind of ability.

    No one was knocking at Ty's door so it was easy to give him the ax. But in the case with Weis it wouldn't look so good for ND to let the big time coach you lured from the NFL go right back there after having some success at the college level.

    And yeah if ND goes 4-7 this year and 5-6 next year, Weis will be out the door and the next BIG NAME will be on the way to ND.

  4. #49
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    51,037

    Quote Originally Posted by ram95
    2BC$ bowls and 2 more wins in the same time period. That and us Irish fans are becoming more used to mediocrity for the sake of NBC and BCS $.
    Yeah, but as any Tubbybasher will tell you those were, Rick's... ahem... I mean Ty's players that won two more games and went to two BC$ games. Especially true in Football where Charlies recruits are just now starting to play. Looks like Ty left him a few decent enough players to have what success he has had.

    I like Charlie but IMHO Ty was given a short run for reasons that no one under the Golden Dome would like to admit too.

  5. #50
    buzzer beater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 07
    Location
    The Shoe
    Posts
    2,471

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    Charlie went to the BCS games with Ty's recruits, correct? Didn't a few of them get drafted recently?

    When did we start giving "attaboys" for coming close to victory over top teams?

    Charlie has , in honesty, proven nothing as far as winning big games at ND. I hope he changes that soon.
    Weis is 19-7 at ND. In 2005 ND beat Michigan 17-10, in Ann Arbor. They lost to #1 USC by 3 points, 34-31(USC went on to play in the BCS championship) they did lose to Ohio State 34-20, but a good Ohio State team. Last year started off good, beating Penn State and G Tech, before a big loss to Michigan. And a huge come back win over Michigan State. Weis has lost some games, but he has won some pretty big games too. No bowl wins, but the teams he had to face, look who they were. Teams from the top 2 confrences in the nation. While LSU plays the Florida's, Tennessee's and South Carolina's and Ohio State plays the Michigan's, Penn State's and Wisconsin's, ND is playing independent, playing Army, Navy, Air Force, and UNC.

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzer beater
    Weis is 19-7 at ND. In 2005 ND beat Michigan 17-10, in Ann Arbor. They lost to #1 USC by 3 points, 34-31(USC went on to play in the BCS championship) they did lose to Ohio State 34-20, but a good Ohio State team. Last year started off good, beating Penn State and G Tech, before a big loss to Michigan. And a huge come back win over Michigan State. Weis has lost some games, but he has won some pretty big games too. No bowl wins, but the teams he had to face, look who they were. Teams from the top 2 confrences in the nation. While LSU plays the Florida's, Tennessee's and South Carolina's and Ohio State plays the Michigan's, Penn State's and Wisconsin's, ND is playing independent, playing Army, Navy, Air Force, and UNC.
    2005 Michigan - the same Michigan team that finished 7-5? That one? Big win?

    Michigan State last year? The one that fired their coach. Big win?

    GaTech? The team that couldn't score despite having the best player in America?

    Charlie has won NO big games. Lets hope that changes.

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach
    Look at the guys Ty brought in alot of lower than 4 star guys, that is what made people say he couldn't recruit. However you are right he was given the time to let his players mature, however when it came to recruiting stars out of high schools he didn't do good at it...

    Charlie has brought in some High school stars, actually alot more than Ty did, that is why people say he can recruit because he has brought in top 5 classes. And no his recruits haven't been given the chance. I mean seriously the whole offense and defense is gone from last year, hardly any team will do good TO START THE YEAR with a bunch of first year guys getting their first college experience..
    You say Ty was "given the time to let his players mature" and then you say in regards to Charlie's recruits "no his recruits have not been given the chance."

    If Ty coached a total of 3 years and Charlie is now IN his 3rd year, how was one given time and the other wasn't? Ty had to play a FROSH qb (Quinn) like Charlie is now. Charlie then won games with Ty's same qb.

    What am I missing?

  8. #53
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,259

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach
    Hmmm...aren't you a person who said that it was Tubby's championship even though it was with Pitinos players? So if you are, then you can't go back and change it for this situation. Yeah he did it with Ty's players, but do you honestly believe Ty would have got them to two BCS bowls with the offense he ran? I mean the defense would have still been weak, and the offense would have still been pretty boring when it comes to plays. So most likely yeah they would have made bowl games but not any BCS games. Also probably wouldn't have Quinn taken in the first round, and probably would have never even heard of Jeff Schmarjia if Ty was still here...

    And now yeah he has SOME of his players playing, yet all these guys are first time players at the college level since they were all sitting behind seniors last year. Both on offense and defense is all new players getting their first experience, so of coarse they are not going to do well this year. Now if they dont show any improvement as the year goes on after they get some experience, then there might be some problems...
    Thats not the point of it all. The point is why he is getting more time than Ty to win.

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,388

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    You say Ty was "given the time to let his players mature" and then you say in regards to Charlie's recruits "no his recruits have not been given the chance."

    If Ty coached a total of 3 years and Charlie is now IN his 3rd year, how was one given time and the other wasn't? Ty had to play a FROSH qb (Quinn) like Charlie is now. Charlie then won games with Ty's same qb.

    What am I missing?
    Well you would be right here, but it was a typo on my part because I left out the "not" in it. Because I was agreeing with him that Ty was not given the time to let his recruits get established. But when I wrote that I forgot to put the not. However I assure you that is what I meant to put, because that is why I even said I was agreeing with that guy in his post...

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,388

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime
    Thats not the point of it all. The point is why he is getting more time than Ty to win.
    If that is not the point then why did you say this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertime
    With Ty's players. Why can no one grasp this?
    You made it sound like that was an important thing, since you said why cant anyone grasp this...

    I mean I do agree that Ty should have got one more year because he deserved to have a chance to play with the players that were pretty much all his...It just comes down to that Charlie did even better with other coaches recruits than Ty did with other coaches recruits..Charlie in his first two years has went to two BCS games like it or not. Yeah they lost and lost bad but he still got them there and Ty didn't. And Ty probably wouldn't have even got to the BCS IMO even with his own players.

    As I said before I dont know why we are discussing this now, because right now Charlie has had 2 seasons and 1 game, and those first two seasons were BCS bowl bids. So why after one game are we even talking about this because there is no comparison yet. After 2 seasons Charlie has done more than Ty. And as before we should save this talk till after the season, IF Charlie's players dont start to show any improvement as the season goes on when they get experience, then we could start to discuss some of these things...

  11. #56
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,259

    It is because everyone is keying in on 2 BCS bowl loses with none of his players. Thats not even the point. The point is Ty didn't get a fair shot at it like Weis is getting why are they being treated different?

  12. #57

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,388

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime
    It is because everyone is keying in on 2 BCS bowl loses with none of his players. Thats not even the point. The point is Ty didn't get a fair shot at it like Weis is getting why are they being treated different?
    If Ty went to 2 BCS games and still lost both of them, I bet you he would have got another year. The fact is he didn't go to any BCS games at all, like Charlie has. And that is why Charlie is getting this treatment. However this year is going to be bad no matter what, and Charlie will probably get next year to fix it. If he dont next year he probably will be gone too. And so the only reason he would have got one more year is because of the BCS games. Him bringing the university all the money gives him more of a chance. Besides as I just said there is no reason to talk about it, because this season is only 1 game old...

  13. #58
    _Scarface_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 07
    Location
    UNC 86 UK 77...Can you say 4 victories in a row for the Heels vs UK?...Gardner Webb?...WOW!
    Posts
    4,388

    I'll go ahead & say it......People think Ty got a bad deal because he is black & not white. Not saying that I do or do not think that but that is obviously what some people think.

  14. #59

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,388

    Quote Originally Posted by _Scarface_
    I'll go ahead & say it......People think Ty got a bad deal because he is black & not white. Not saying that I do or do not think that but that is obviously what some people think.
    You know what that probably sadly is one of the reasons, to go along with he didn't bring in the top notch recruiting classes, no BCS games and had such a boring offense. Also that the guy people wanted to have in Urban Meyer and THOUGHT would come here was available and they wanted to get him before he went somewhere else. All those things probably played into why Ty was gone after 3 seasons, because I even admit that he should have got one more year...

  15. #60
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,259

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach
    If Ty went to 2 BCS games and still lost both of them, I bet you he would have got another year. The fact is he didn't go to any BCS games at all, like Charlie has. And that is why Charlie is getting this treatment. However this year is going to be bad no matter what, and Charlie will probably get next year to fix it. If he dont next year he probably will be gone too. And so the only reason he would have got one more year is because of the BCS games. Him bringing the university all the money gives him more of a chance. Besides as I just said there is no reason to talk about it, because this season is only 1 game old...
    Say what you want about it but I think we all agree that race had something to do with it. At least I do and I know a few other do.

Top