The 2 Point Conversion Debate

Page 2 of Let's hear it... I feel that you never chase points unless it's absolutely necessary.... 37 comments | 930 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,574

    Quote Originally Posted by iPapi
    He's human...it happens.

    You go for two at any point in the game that it is pointless to kick a PAT.

    For example, you score a TD and are up 29-28 on the opposing team. No matter how much time is left you go for two because a the PAT gives you only a 2 POINT advantage, both of which are null when the opposing team kicks a field goal.

    For those of you that say going for 2 affects momentum, here is what I have to say about that. The only time it affects the momentum of the game is if there is potential to go up 1 point or be down 1 point if you miss the 2-point conversion.
    If it's such a great idea why does NO ONE practice what you preach? You never know how a game will play out, and going for a 30% chance for two over a 99% chance for one is a miserable idea if the game isn't on the line. If a coach were to try this as a regular idea, he'd be out of coaching in the blink of an eye...
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    5 Miles from nowhere
    Posts
    20,629

    Quote Originally Posted by iPapi
    He's human...it happens.

    You go for two at any point in the game that it is pointless to kick a PAT.

    For example, you score a TD and are up 29-28 on the opposing team. No matter how much time is left you go for two because a the PAT gives you only a 2 POINT advantage, both of which are null when the opposing team kicks a field goal.

    For those of you that say going for 2 affects momentum, here is what I have to say about that. The only time it affects the momentum of the game is if there is potential to go up 1 point or be down 1 point if you miss the 2-point conversion.
    I disagree...there's a lot that can happen to start risking a 2 point conversion early in the game. If the score was 29-28 midway through the 4th quarter then sure. But, if it's 29-28 in the second quarter, then no...IMO, you take the extra point and go up by 2. I've seen it happen too many times where teams chase points too early and then end up behind late in game when it would have been tied otherwise...

    For instance, in this scenario, what if you're up 29-28 midway through the third and miss on a two point conversion. Your opponent ends up kicking three FG's and you find yourself behind 37-29...the next time you score you are forced to go for two, when an extra point would have been enough had you done it earlier. I've seen this play out repeatedly, especially in college (but even in the NFL which is really surprising). I'm not a fan of the 2 point conversion unless it's an absolute necessity...or if it's in a defensive struggle in which their is some real question about whether you can score again.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    5 Miles from nowhere
    Posts
    20,629

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    If it's such a great idea why does NO ONE practice what you preach? You never know how a game will play out, and going for a 30% chance for two over a 99% chance for one is a miserable idea if the game isn't on the line. If a coach were to try this as a regular idea, he'd be out of coaching in the blink of an eye...
    It happens more than it should, I think. I'm really surprised to see NFL coaches go chasing points in the first half of a game, but it does happen...and it almost always comes back to put them in a worse situation later in the game. Occasionally, it works out...I'd say about 30% of the time...

  4. #19
    lionfan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    Deals Gap
    Posts
    1,083

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    Never EVER chase points unless the clock is winding down and you have no choice...
    I agree, but Saturday night a extra point kick from UK wasn't a sure thing. One was blocked, one missed.

  5. #20
    4chs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    Corbin/Whitley Co.
    Posts
    10,778

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Rookie
    Let's hear it... I feel that you never chase points unless it's absolutely necessary.
    I agree 100%!

  6. #21
    NobizLikeShowbiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,506

    I think there is a difference between chasing points and trying to make the score more in your favor. (if that makes since) I mean if its in the 4th quarter and your up 1, why kick the extra point, when a 2 point conversion puts you up a field goal and allows the other team to only tie you. I would say I disagree going for 2 before the 4th quarter, because then, yes you are chasing points.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Covington, KY.
    Posts
    485

    Quote Originally Posted by swforever
    I agree with Gametime.
    Ditto, 100 percent.

  8. #23
    saint4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Whether you think you can or you can't, either way you are probably right.
    Posts
    4,351

    I do it all the time on Madden. But that is not real life. If youa re a risky coach, go for it, if not, don't just chase points unless you are down by 8 in the 4th quarter.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    Quote Originally Posted by NobizLikeShowbiz
    I think there is a difference between chasing points and trying to make the score more in your favor. (if that makes since) I mean if its in the 4th quarter and your up 1, why kick the extra point, when a 2 point conversion puts you up a field goal and allows the other team to only tie you. I would say I disagree going for 2 before the 4th quarter, because then, yes you are chasing points.
    If it's early in the 4th then I still disagree with it. If you score with say 5 minutes left and are up one then I say yes try to get a three point lead but don't do it too early.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    T-Ville
    Posts
    3,641

    Never chase points until you have to…

  11. #26
    Habib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Buy the ticket, take the ride
    Posts
    12,180

    No reason to go for two unless the 4th quarter is winding down and those points are crucial. I think UK should have went for two, but not before that possession.

  12. #27
    iPapi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    In a place where I have kin, friends, enemies, and everything in between.
    Posts
    2,366

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    If it's such a great idea why does NO ONE practice what you preach? You never know how a game will play out, and going for a 30% chance for two over a 99% chance for one is a miserable idea if the game isn't on the line. If a coach were to try this as a regular idea, he'd be out of coaching in the blink of an eye...

    Happens in the NFL all the time...And those guys get paid more, too.

    Maybe there is a reason for that.

    Also, very seldom is there a circumstance when this is necessary or valid, but it did happen three times the other night.

    Point is the need to go for two is uncommon, but when the opportunity presents itself sack up and put your team in a better position to win.

  13. #28
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,574

    Quote Originally Posted by iPapi
    Happens in the NFL all the time...And those guys get paid more, too.

    Maybe there is a reason for that.
    Let's see the 2 point success rate in the NFL.

    Maybe there is a reason coaches that do it on every level have a short life span.

    Name me the coaching great that has chased points on a regular basis. I'm begging you...

  14. #29
    iPapi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    In a place where I have kin, friends, enemies, and everything in between.
    Posts
    2,366

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    Let's see the 2 point success rate in the NFL.

    Maybe there is a reason coaches that do it on every level have a short life span.

    Name me the coaching great that has chased points on a regular basis. I'm begging you...
    I went back and edited the previous post, and I think it covers what you are talking about to some extent.

    Answer me this. Is 3 > 1? Is 3 > 2? If you answered yes, and I hope you did, then being up 1 or 2 still gets you beat by a field goal. Why not take a chance that only only allows a field goal to tie you? If you don't convert, and the other team kicks a GW Field Goal then you get beat by 2 points instead of 1.

    What's the difference?

  15. #30
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,574

    Quote Originally Posted by iPapi
    What's the difference?
    That's the simple theory to "chasing points". When there is 20 minutes of football to play you don't start taking 30% over 99%. At that stage you have no idea of the twists and turns ahead. You are playing bad odds, and I've seen it come back to bite a team more often than not....

Top