Steve Johnson arrested before EKU game

Page 4 of I realize this is a week old, but I was surprised to read it and even more suprised it hasn't been posted. Johnson to play despite arrest... 57 comments | 1476 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    bellalumni40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 02
    Location
    In memory of the R-O-C
    Posts
    13,339

    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRedRam
    Of all the issues involved with this situation this aspect is most concerning in my opinion. Why is Brooks making this judgement, did he see the incident, or is he just going by the players word.

    It is concerning to me that Brooks would blow off the incedent completely. I acknowledge that he has more information than I do, but to publicly support his player above the law is a bad precendent to set.
    Brooks has spoken with Johnson and the arresting officer. I'd say he isnt just going off Johnson's word.
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    billyrayjoebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 06
    Location
    Pikeville
    Posts
    3,379

    Quote Originally Posted by mobaar

    When did you become a mod?

  3. #48

    Join Date
    Jan 07
    Location
    The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?
    Posts
    9,489

    Quote Originally Posted by bellalumni40
    Brooks has spoken with Johnson and the arresting officer. I'd say he isnt just going off Johnson's word.
    I'm not saying that I think this incident was a big deal but I'm curious as to what you think Brooks drew from his conversation with the officer.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,095

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachBuckett
    Let me be the first UL fan to say it's not a big deal. The kid might have been set out because he was arrested. Just so the public is at ease Brooks was doing his job.

    College kids are KIDS. So let them make a mistake. If kid majoring in Education and plays no sports gets arrested, then no one cares. So why care if a player gets arrested. Other than its a good news story. More than likely it will be dismissed or the case will get Diversion. Which is another word for " Everyone makes a mistake"

    Ummm...you're not the first.

  5. #50
    bellalumni40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 02
    Location
    In memory of the R-O-C
    Posts
    13,339

    Quote Originally Posted by BoondockSaint
    I'm not saying that I think this incident was a big deal but I'm curious as to what you think Brooks drew from his conversation with the officer.
    I dont think it really matters what I think. This is what I KNOW and Brooks didnt see fit to suspend him.

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    BOYD CO KY
    Posts
    560

    Quote Originally Posted by mobaar
    In this case? No.

    The description I've seen was that he "pulled his shoulders away" from the officer. When you're a young kid and a cop is arresting you for not having your license/proof of insurance, I don't think thats a crazy reaction.

    This a complete non issue.
    Not having your license in your posession is an arrestable offense. Just like DUI its a misdemeanor......

  7. #52
    bellalumni40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 02
    Location
    In memory of the R-O-C
    Posts
    13,339

    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthejungle
    Not having your license in your posession is an arrestable offense. Just like DUI its a misdemeanor......
    That is not why he was arrested...

  8. #53

    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    BOYD CO KY
    Posts
    560

    Quote Originally Posted by bellalumni40
    That is not why he was arrested...
    Didnt say it was the reason. I am just saying they had a legitimate reason to arrest. It is never "OK" to pull away from an officer right wrong or indifferent. It is not always enforced as an arrest, BUT it can be.....bottom line....do as you are asked and dont resist..... everybody stays safe this way.

  9. #54
    bellalumni40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 02
    Location
    In memory of the R-O-C
    Posts
    13,339

    I would have to say that it is a pretty natural reaction for most people to pull away if someone grabs their shoulders.
    They may have had a legitimate reason to arrest, but its not the reason he was arrested. If you knew the cops in Lexington...nevermind.

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Jul 07
    Location
    Suwanee, GA
    Posts
    3,300

    Johnson had an existing warrant for his arrest out for minor violations... he was pulled over legally for an even more minor infraction, when the kid has a prior you have to arrest him. The "resisting arrest" is very questionable from what I gather... but, when the kid has an existing warrant he has to be cuffed, no matter how minor that warrant is for, and trust me, in Lexington it doesn't matter what race you are, if you have an existing warrant you will get arrested!

    I have a good source on this one...

  11. #56
    bellalumni40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 02
    Location
    In memory of the R-O-C
    Posts
    13,339

    Quote Originally Posted by EKUAlum05
    Johnson had an existing warrant for his arrest out for minor violations... he was pulled over legally for an even more minor infraction, when the kid has a prior you have to arrest him. The "resisting arrest" is very questionable from what I gather... but, when the kid has an existing warrant he has to be cuffed, no matter how minor that warrant is for, and trust me, in Lexington it doesn't matter what race you are, if you have an existing warrant you will get arrested!

    I have a good source on this one...
    I dont recall seeing that he had a warrant, but he did have unpaid parking fines. I have never heard of parking fines calling for a warrant.
    If it was the case that he had a warrant, he should have been arrested on that. The resisting stuff is bull...

  12. #57

    Join Date
    Jul 07
    Location
    Suwanee, GA
    Posts
    3,300

    Quote Originally Posted by bellalumni40
    I dont recall seeing that he had a warrant, but he did have unpaid parking fines. I have never heard of parking fines calling for a warrant.
    If it was the case that he had a warrant, he should have been arrested on that. The resisting stuff is bull...
    From what I gather the resisting arrest was uncalled for....

  13. #58
    bellalumni40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 02
    Location
    In memory of the R-O-C
    Posts
    13,339

    Quote Originally Posted by EKUAlum05
    From what I gather the resisting arrest was uncalled for....
    Echo...

Top