Kentucky 40 UofL 34

Page 27 of Originally Posted by gametime No doubt. Enjoy it Cats fans... No question about that. Geez I still have 6 pages to read. Advertisement Sep 16, 07, ... 590 comments | 18279 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #391
    iPapi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    In a place where I have kin, friends, enemies, and everything in between.
    Posts
    2,366

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW
    I disagree here. The only time he should have went for two is after the last TD. You don't go chasing points, and if they had gone for two earlier, and miss, the Cats don't stay within field goal range after another UoL score.

    How is being up 5 points any different than being up 4 points in football?

    Either one means that two field goals or a TD put the other team has a one point lead. If you go for two and get it, two field goals by the other team tie the game.
    Advertisement

  2. #392

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    T-Ville
    Posts
    3,641

    Quote Originally Posted by BoondockSaint
    Allen didn't get nearly enough touches last night imo.
    Hal Mumme I mean Coach Kraghthrope says go deep or go home...

  3. #393
    iPapi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    In a place where I have kin, friends, enemies, and everything in between.
    Posts
    2,366

    Quote Originally Posted by o-line
    Both coaches did the same thing, Pap! Choosing to go for the 2-pt. lead instead of 3 was even worse? How much sense does that make, even if he wasn't confident in his team's ability to convert?
    I think you and I are one of the few on here who understand the point system in the game of football.

    There is NO difference in a 1 point lead and a 2 point lead! If your team scores and it puts you up by 1 point common sense would tell you that there is no need to kick a PAT and just be up 2 points because a field goal still beats you. You might as well not even send your kicking team out there.

    The same concept applies when you talk about being up 5 points as opposed to 6. Being up 4 points after a TD is basically the same as being up 5 because it still takes two field goals to beat you. If you are up six points then two field goals ties you. Big difference between a tie and a win.

  4. #394
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,576

    Quote Originally Posted by iPapi
    I think you and I are one of the few on here who understand the point system in the game of football.

    There is NO difference in a 1 point lead and a 2 point lead! If your team scores and it puts you up by 1 point common sense would tell you that there is no need to kick a PAT and just be up 2 points because a field goal still beats you. You might as well not even send your kicking team out there.

    The same concept applies when you talk about being up 5 points as opposed to 6. Being up 4 points after a TD is basically the same as being up 5 because it still takes two field goals to beat you. If you are up six points then two field goals ties you. Big difference between a tie and a win.
    If it's not in the final minute of the game you are chasing points. That's the downfall of numerous teams every week...

  5. #395
    Hangman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Pikeville
    Posts
    16,068

    Quote Originally Posted by iPapi
    I think you and I are one of the few on here who understand the point system in the game of football.

    There is NO difference in a 1 point lead and a 2 point lead! If your team scores and it puts you up by 1 point common sense would tell you that there is no need to kick a PAT and just be up 2 points because a field goal still beats you. You might as well not even send your kicking team out there.

    The same concept applies when you talk about being up 5 points as opposed to 6. Being up 4 points after a TD is basically the same as being up 5 because it still takes two field goals to beat you. If you are up six points then two field goals ties you. Big difference between a tie and a win.
    Most people are saying that UK should've went for 2 at the end... I was even screaming it at my TV. But that's the only time I feel they should've gone for it... Other than that they were just trading scores anyways.

  6. #396
    o-line's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Prestonsburg, KY
    Posts
    5,581

    Quote Originally Posted by firebird
    Personally I think the matchup of White/West Virginia will have more of a bearing on his status than last night's game. Last night's game was big for us instate people, but the national audience is more concerned with Louisville vs. West Virginia. West Virginia is the #3 ranked team in the country and some polls had them preseason #1.
    Not as much now as they would have been.

  7. #397

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    T-Ville
    Posts
    3,641

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    If it's not in the final minute of the game you are chasing points. That's the downfall of numerous teams every week...
    Right You only chase points when you have to...

  8. #398
    4chs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    Corbin/Whitley Co.
    Posts
    10,778

    Quote Originally Posted by H
    I saw it the other way. I felt that the offense and the playcalling were the biggest problems for U of L. Obviously, everyone will fixate on the blown coverage TD at the end of the game and some will blame the defense for the loss, but I thought the defense played well enough to win the game overall. The defense should have never been put in that position. You can't give a team with a high powered offense the ball with 1:45 and expect to hang on to a 1 point lead. The offense had an opportunity to take over the game in the early part of the second half after the defense had made several stops, and they wasted them with stalled drives and poor execution. Louisville is (was) supposed to have one of the best offenses in the country, so to be stopped so many times in the 2nd half was inexcusable (No doubt, UK's tremendous defensive effort deserves some mention here, too). Dropped passes, penalties, missed blocking assignments, and last but not least turnovers. Don't forget the deep hole the defense was put in early by the O's turnovers. Unacceptable for such a highly regarded unit.

    I also thought playcalling and clock management played a big role. Louisville seemed desperate to try to win the game on every snap, throwing low percentage passes instead of running the ball and wearing out UK's (supposedly thinner) defensive line. I looked at the paper this morning and the pass to run ratio for the Cards was heavily out of balance toward the pass. There's no reason to do this unless you're trying to rally from a huge deficit and the game was close most of the 2nd half. Finally, Kragthorpe seemed to choke under pressure with his poor clock management and use of timeouts near the end of the game.

    Hats off to UK for their effort and coaching. They outplayed and outcoached the Cards.
    I tend to agree with your assessment, especially getting away from the run, that very well may have been the difference between winning and losing.

  9. #399
    InTheGame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Commonwealth Stadium
    Posts
    3,403

    C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS

    C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS

    C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS

  10. #400
    o-line's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Prestonsburg, KY
    Posts
    5,581

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzer beater
    What about the U of L penalty with 9 minutes to go when Brohm sneaked it in but it was called back? and Louisville doesn't kick it they go for it and don't score. That would have made it 35-33 U of L, but instead it stayed 33-28 UK. Not making excuses or anything, just saying IMO Louisville should have and could have won this game.
    Are you not familiar with the term that begins with, "If a frog had wings....."? It would be interesting if a series of games were played, as in baseball, but, in football, that's why the game is played. You can only hope to learn from mistakes!

  11. #401
    o-line's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Prestonsburg, KY
    Posts
    5,581

    Quote Originally Posted by iPapi
    I think you and I are one of the few on here who understand the point system in the game of football.

    There is NO difference in a 1 point lead and a 2 point lead! If your team scores and it puts you up by 1 point common sense would tell you that there is no need to kick a PAT and just be up 2 points because a field goal still beats you. You might as well not even send your kicking team out there.

    The same concept applies when you talk about being up 5 points as opposed to 6. Being up 4 points after a TD is basically the same as being up 5 because it still takes two field goals to beat you. If you are up six points then two field goals ties you. Big difference between a tie and a win.

    It appears you are right about that, Pap, since most everybody else has either chosen to ignore it, or they simply don't even think about it!

  12. #402
    InTheGame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Commonwealth Stadium
    Posts
    3,403

    To watch and listen to Tom Leach's call of the last TD, click on the McDonalds Pounder play of the week in the top right hand corner of the link posted below...
    http://ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&...ange_well_id=2

  13. #403
    o-line's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Prestonsburg, KY
    Posts
    5,581

    Quote Originally Posted by SEMPERFIFALCON
    Sure is great to have a QB that knows that and doesn't turn it over...


  14. #404
    Sportz Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 04
    Location
    Land of the Who Dey
    Posts
    9,803

    Quote Originally Posted by o-line
    O-line is the man and I agree!

  15. #405
    UKPat02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    9,417

    Quote Originally Posted by InTheGame
    To watch and listen to Tom Leach's call of the last TD, click on the McDonalds Pounder play of the week in the top right hand corner of the link posted below...
    http://ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&...ange_well_id=2

    Thanks for the link!

Top