Could UK beat Notre Dame?

Page 4 of I think they could beat ND and they probably would be favored. Especially at Commonwealth... 63 comments | 1858 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    1,271

    I think they could beat ND and they probably would be favored. Especially at Commonwealth
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    pigman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Posts
    3,112

    I think the question should be the other way around.

  3. #48

    Join Date
    Jun 06
    Posts
    964

    Now, Yes.

    In about 4 weeks, NO.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    Log Mountain
    Posts
    11,309

    Quote Originally Posted by 98NCCalum
    No.
    Wow. The UK hate is really clouding your judgement. Its hard to have a good meaningful conversation with you about stuff like this. Atleast try to explain your reasoning.

  5. #50
    cvillecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 06
    Location
    Kickin' It At The Shoe
    Posts
    8,984

    Quote Originally Posted by 98NCCalum
    No.
    How did you decide your answer?
    If you follow football as you say you do then you well know that any team can be beaten.

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Posts
    5,545

    Quote Originally Posted by pigman
    I think the question should be the other way around.

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    somerset
    Posts
    942

    Futurecoach take your blinders off, ND's D is horrible no sugar coating it.

  8. #53
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something about hard times, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Log Mountain Boy
    Wow. The UK hate is really clouding your judgement. Its hard to have a good meaningful conversation with you about stuff like this. Atleast try to explain your reasoning.
    Why are you so sure his dislike for UK is why he doesn't think they could beat the Irish? Maybe he just looked at it objectively and said, "UK is UK and Notre Dame is Notre Dame, and tradition can be a difficult thing for an upstart program to overcome when pulling off the upset." That's the thought process that came into my head when trying to decide if this year's UK could or could not beat NDU. I came to the conclusion that this year's UK could, while 98 might have come to the opposite.

    You need to get over the fact that just because someone says something that doesn't put UK up on a pedastal, or is critical of UK, it's not always because of personal biases. Some of us are capable of looking at a situation without allowing our judgement to be "clouded" by bias.

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    5 Miles from nowhere
    Posts
    20,629

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue
    Why are you so sure his dislike for UK is why he doesn't think they could beat the Irish? Maybe he just looked at it objectively and said, "UK is UK and Notre Dame is Notre Dame, and tradition can be a difficult thing for an upstart program to overcome when pulling off the upset." That's the thought process that came into my head when trying to decide if this year's UK could or could not beat NDU. I came to the conclusion that this year's UK could, while 98 might have come to the opposite.

    You need to get over the fact that just because someone says something that doesn't put UK up on a pedastal, or is critical of UK, it's not always because of personal biases. Some of us are capable of looking at a situation without allowing our judgement to be "clouded" by bias.
    Would it really be an upset if UK beat Notre Dame?

  10. #55
    jvdfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    By the Lake
    Posts
    9,052

    Quote Originally Posted by 5wide
    Would it really be an upset if UK beat Notre Dame?
    No, It would be the other way around this year.

  11. #56

    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    Log Mountain
    Posts
    11,309

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue
    Why are you so sure his dislike for UK is why he doesn't think they could beat the Irish? Maybe he just looked at it objectively and said, "UK is UK and Notre Dame is Notre Dame, and tradition can be a difficult thing for an upstart program to overcome when pulling off the upset." That's the thought process that came into my head when trying to decide if this year's UK could or could not beat NDU. I came to the conclusion that this year's UK could, while 98 might have come to the opposite.

    You need to get over the fact that just because someone says something that doesn't put UK up on a pedastal, or is critical of UK, it's not always because of personal biases. Some of us are capable of looking at a situation without allowing our judgement to be "clouded" by bias.
    Here is the thing. I don't care if its Notre Dame vs. Union, it takes good players to win. If Union has that much better players they can win the game iwth a decent coaching staff. UK is much more talented this season than Notre Dame is, especially on offense. If the level was similar I understand completely, picking Notre Dame if the teams were fairly close in talent level, but right now UK is very superior to Notre Dame. This is the only season I would legitimately say that. Next season Notre Dame would probably pass UK back up with all the young talent coming in.

  12. #57
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something about hard times, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Log Mountain Boy
    Here is the thing. I don't care if its Notre Dame vs. Union, it takes good players to win. If Union has that much better players they can win the game iwth a decent coaching staff. UK is much more talented this season than Notre Dame is, especially on offense. If the level was similar I understand completely, picking Notre Dame if the teams were fairly close in talent level, but right now UK is very superior to Notre Dame. This is the only season I would legitimately say that. Next season Notre Dame would probably pass UK back up with all the young talent coming in.
    That's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't change the fact that teams who aren't used to success struggle against the tradition-laden schools. This is consistent across all college sports, where teams can get intimidated by the name on the front of the jersey or on the helmet rather than the individual occupying the jersey. It's not any different than the way SEC schools used to lay down for UK in hoops, despite the fact the talent on both squads may have been similar.

  13. #58
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something about hard times, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,218

    Quote Originally Posted by 5wide
    Would it really be an upset if UK beat Notre Dame?
    No, not this year. But a casual fan unaware of the current landscape of college football would probably raise his eyebrows and think it was an upset if he saw it in the paper.

  14. #59

    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    Log Mountain
    Posts
    11,309

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue
    That's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't change the fact that teams who aren't used to success struggle against the tradition-laden schools. This is consistent across all college sports, where teams can get intimidated by the name on the front of the jersey or on the helmet rather than the individual occupying the jersey. It's not any different than the way SEC schools used to lay down for UK in hoops, despite the fact the talent on both squads may have been similar.
    If UK was young and inexperienced I could see what your saying, but with seniors like Woodson, Burton, Little, Tamme, Woodyard, etc, these guys won't be intimidated. Better teams may beat them, but they won't be intimidated.
    Also, while they don't have the tradition of Notre Dame, UK plays UT, Florida, and Georgia who have great traditions every year and are not bothered by them, they just aren't as good most years.

  15. #60
    XgradROCKdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Posts
    1,721

    Interesting that the predicted scores are pretty much the same as the U of L predictions... so I guess U of L and Notre Dame are equal????

Top