Notre Dame 73 Tennessee 59

  1. #1
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    62,278

    Notre Dame 73 Tennessee 59

    Lady Volunteers fall for the first time in 21 tries vs. the Irish. I noticed a couple of things.

    Lots of shooting sleeves sported by the Lady Vols. I'm not sure what to think about this. Tennessee's freshman point guard shot 1-11 wearing one.

    Nice game for Notre Dame's Natalie Novosel, formerly of Lexington Catholic. Her brother was no slouch, either. I remember watching him play several times wearling the protective face mask. Seems like he always brought his A-game when Catholic played Mason County; sister Natalie brought hers tonight as ND moves on to the Final Four in Indianapolis.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Posts
    37,668

    I have a friend who played for the Lady Vols in the late 80s. She was p.o.'d with the defensive effort last night. Said she could handle an off offensive night, but couldn't accept an off defensive night as there was no excuse for it.

  3. #3
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    62,278

    Quote Originally Posted by Watusi View Post
    I have a friend who played for the Lady Vols in the late 80s. She was p.o.'d with the defensive effort last night. Said she could handle an off offensive night, but couldn't accept an off defensive night as there was no excuse for it.
    Never an excuse for not playing defense on every single possession.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    5 Miles from nowhere
    Posts
    20,629

    ^Inevitably it frequently happens that a bad offensive night can affect a players defense. The two should be able to operate independent of each other, but that isn't always the case.

  5. #5
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    62,278

    Quote Originally Posted by 5wide View Post
    ^Inevitably it frequently happens that a bad offensive night can affect a players defense. The two should be able to operate independent of each other, but that isn't always the case.
    That may be correct, I don't know.

    Recently one of the "experts" was talking about Kemba Walker; said he occasionally "took off" on an offensive possession but never on defense. I can see how being shut out on offense might translate to the defensive end from a mental standpoint but not a physical one, though.

  6. #6
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    I'm ftom the Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,979

    I saw the espn interview with Pat Summit last night when she was in the hallway outside the locker rooms. Summit blasted her team and what she described as a lack of effort by all. I may not get it all or word it just right but she said that she disgusted in her teams play. She stated that they played like they didn't care, was lazy, didn't play defense, took bad shots, turnovers, etc.,etc.. Summit also said that "they were juniors, no excuse for those mistakes" . There was more but that pretty much says it. I am not suprised that Summit blasted her teams effort, I have heard her do that before.. I was somewhat suprised that she said that in an on camera interview only bc this loss ended the season and no games left. Usually coaches go a little easier on a loss that ended a season......"I have -- returning....we are looking to be better next season....etc.,etc.."
    I guess that she wanted to give her returning players alot to think about during the off season, workouts and all heading into next season.

  7. #7
    Justafan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by oldrambler View Post
    I saw the espn interview with Pat Summit last night when she was in the hallway outside the locker rooms. Summit blasted her team and what she described as a lack of effort by all. I may not get it all or word it just right but she said that she disgusted in her teams play. She stated that they played like they didn't care, was lazy, didn't play defense, took bad shots, turnovers, etc.,etc.. Summit also said that "they were juniors, no excuse for those mistakes" . There was more but that pretty much says it. I am not suprised that Summit blasted her teams effort, I have heard her do that before.. I was somewhat suprised that she said that in an on camera interview only bc this loss ended the season and no games left. Usually coaches go a little easier on a loss that ended a season......"I have -- returning....we are looking to be better next season....etc.,etc.."
    I guess that she wanted to give her returning players alot to think about during the off season, workouts and all heading into next season.
    I saw the same thing. I have a lot of respect for Coach Summit, but I thought her interview blasting her team was pretty classless. If she felt a need to let them know how she felt, she could tell them behind closed doors. In an interview on national television, she should just congratulate Notre Dame and give the usual "coach speak" statements.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    7,331

    Quote Originally Posted by oldrambler View Post
    I saw the espn interview with Pat Summit last night when she was in the hallway outside the locker rooms. Summit blasted her team and what she described as a lack of effort by all. I may not get it all or word it just right but she said that she disgusted in her teams play. She stated that they played like they didn't care, was lazy, didn't play defense, took bad shots, turnovers, etc.,etc.. Summit also said that "they were juniors, no excuse for those mistakes" . There was more but that pretty much says it. I am not suprised that Summit blasted her teams effort, I have heard her do that before.. I was somewhat suprised that she said that in an on camera interview only bc this loss ended the season and no games left. Usually coaches go a little easier on a loss that ended a season......"I have -- returning....we are looking to be better next season....etc.,etc.."
    I guess that she wanted to give her returning players alot to think about during the off season, workouts and all heading into next season.
    A few years ago after a tournament loss when the team returned home had a very physical practice. During the practice Amber Gray separated her shoulder and during surgery to repair her shoulder either had an aneurism or stroke.


    This was a practice after they were eliminated.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    5 Miles from nowhere
    Posts
    20,629

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    That may be correct, I don't know.

    Recently one of the "experts" was talking about Kemba Walker; said he occasionally "took off" on an offensive possession but never on defense. I can see how being shut out on offense might translate to the defensive end from a mental standpoint but not a physical one, though.
    I'll just say that it seems that way to me. I've watched a lot of teams over the years who seemed to really pick up their defense when the offense was going good and vice versa.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    11,491

    Talk about chalk. If I recall correctly from the TV screen last night, three of the four regional finals pitted #1 vs. #2, and the other one had #1 vs. #11 (Gonzaga, who knocked UL out last Saturday in Spokane).

Top