Mick to NC State?

Page 2 of Heard some rumors flying around about this... GT care to shed some light about this?... 29 comments | 1224 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,603

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    If UC hits $1.5M I'll be disappointed in Mick if he leaves.
    It has zero to do with what Mick will get paid. If they don't meet the needs on budget, assistant pay, travel and make a commitment to facilities he will leave. And he should...
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    It has zero to do with what Mick will get paid. If they don't meet the needs on budget, assistant pay, travel and make a commitment to facilities he will leave. And he should...
    Is he asking for a raise?

  3. #18
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,603

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Is he asking for a raise?
    Of course a raise is involved. That doesn't change what I said one bit. He will take a lot less from UC as long as they show a commitment to the program. He will still be at less than market value if he takes 1.7...

  4. #19

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    Of course a raise is involved. That doesn't change what I said one bit. He will take a lot less from UC as long as they show a commitment to the program. He will still be at less than market value if he takes 1.7...
    So if they raised his assistant's pay, showed a commitment to the program, etc he'd stick to his current $700k? I get the part about below market. However, never say "it will have zero to do with what Mick gets paid." He's human. He's looking to use his leverage like we all would.

    I'll be stunned to see him leave if UC is showing any sort of commitment that he can hang his hat on.

  5. #20
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,603

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    So if they raised his assistant's pay, showed a commitment to the program, etc he'd stick to his current $700k? I get the part about below market. However, never say "it will have zero to do with what Mick gets paid." He's human. He's looking to use his leverage like we all would.

    I'll be stunned to see him leave if UC is showing any sort of commitment that he can hang his hat on.
    If they got the budget to the middle of the BE pack, covered charter flights to all road games, made sure a charter was available for recruiting at all times, raised assistant salaries, put a direct plan in place to renovate 5/3 Arena and make the Armory a dedicated practice facility he would take a mil or less. There is zero chance that happens, so might as well get a raise when it is often your dollars that make some of those things happen...

  6. #21

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    I'm surprised that with all of the local alums that Mick can't get a plane for recruiting. Having one works well for X and my guess is X doesn't pay for it.

  7. #22
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,603

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I'm surprised that with all of the local alums that Mick can't get a plane for recruiting. Having one works well for X and my guess is X doesn't pay for it.
    He has one, but it isn't always available. When that happens it's Delta city...

  8. #23

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    He has one, but it isn't always available. When that happens it's Delta city...
    One? How many alum are in the city that have access to a plane? I think X has access to 3 or 4. Seems silly that Mick wouldn't.

  9. #24
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,603

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    One? How many alum are in the city that have access to a plane? I think X has access to 3 or 4. Seems silly that Mick wouldn't.
    There are 2 more that are heavy FB donors that are being asked to step up. That is something X doesn't have to balance...

  10. #25

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    There are 2 more that are heavy FB donors that are being asked to step up. That is something X doesn't have to balance...
    X graduates about 1000 per year. UC graduates about 5k per year. Access should not be an issue IMO.

  11. #26
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,603

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    X graduates about 1000 per year. UC graduates about 5k per year. Access should not be an issue IMO.
    UC seriously lacks on getting donors, small and large, heavily involved at this point. It is improving, but is still a major problem in terms of staying middle of the pack at the big boy level. I have made that clear time and again on this issue...

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,510

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    It has zero to do with what Mick will get paid. If they don't meet the needs on budget, assistant pay, travel and make a commitment to facilities he will leave. And he should...
    Does he not decide assistant pay? I know in football the head coach divies out the bounty. Now, I don't doubt the kitty isn't great. Can he really get the anty raised?

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,510

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    UC seriously lacks on getting donors, small and large, heavily involved at this point. It is improving, but is still a major problem in terms of staying middle of the pack at the big boy level. I have made that clear time and again on this issue...
    Why does UC struggle in this department? Is it because it's such an urban college, in a pro town? They have a nice athletic history, and football is really making it's headway. It would seem, that money should be calling.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Sugartit
    Posts
    11,424

    From afar I just don't think Mick is very likable. That is just me and the perception I get. I may be totally off here on this one.
    UC has thrown a lot of money into the football program and it seems they had to really work to get that money.
    In this day and age with the economy and so forth, money is hard to come by.
    The infrastructure at UC in regards to facilities for basketball needs a lot of work.

    I see no problem with trying to get as much money as you can and getting a spike in pay for your assistants. Worked out well for Painter at Purdue.

  15. #30
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,603

    Mick turned down the offer. Deal with UC should be completed soon...

Top