Mark Gottfried to N.C. State ...

Page 2 of Lots of reports say Gottfried, formerly of Murray State and Alabama, has resurfaced at N.C. State. That's a pretty tough gig.... 23 comments | 949 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    70,259

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider View Post
    That depends on how much he wins ...
    Exactly. That's what I was wondering...how will Gottfried handle it if he starts losing some and NC State fans say, "What did we expect? This was our 6th choice for a coach."
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    Exactly. That's what I was wondering...how will Gottfried handle it if he starts losing some and NC State fans say, "What did we expect? This was our 6th choice for a coach."
    So what? Why should Gottfried care?

  3. #18
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    70,259

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider View Post
    So what? Why should Gottfried care?
    If he loses it won't be fun. But it'll be even more problematic as the fifth, sixth, or seventh choice.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    If he loses it won't be fun. But it'll be even more problematic as the fifth, sixth, or seventh choice.
    Why would that be problematic? He has the job, no matter where he was on the totem pole. And losing isn't fun in any case.

  5. #20
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    70,259

    Never said losing was fun. It's just less fun when you were nowhere near the #1 guy on the wishlist.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    Never said losing was fun. It's just less fun when you were nowhere near the #1 guy on the wishlist.
    I fail to see your point ... why does that matter, if you already have the job?

  7. #22
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,285

    I'm not sure what I'm more shocked by.....That Mark Gottfried got another coaching job or that a thread about Mark Gottfried has gotten over 20 responses.

  8. #23
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    70,259

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider View Post
    I fail to see your point ... why does that matter, if you already have the job?
    Okay, I'll try this one more time. How will Gottfried be able to handle it if and when he starts to lose & the fan base starts saying things like he wasn't the guy we wanted, we settled for Gottfried, he was a desperate hire, etc. etc. How will that affect him, because it's obvious he was far from the first choice?

    It doesn't matter right now because he does have the job & he has neither exceeded nor failed to meet expectations. If and when he loses, the NC State fans will naturally begin moaning because they struck out on every coach they wanted & had to settle for Gottfried. I'm wondering how he's going to be able to handle it when that day comes.

    When you're the #1 choice and you lose, it's not fun but I think most fans will give you some time because you were the guy they wanted. When you're the #5 or 6 or 7 choice, they're not nearly as understanding. I'm wondering how Gottfried will be able to cope with that.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Gottfried won't care, and any coach worth their salt wouldn't.

Top