Do Duke fans hate UK the way UK fans hate Duke

Page 7 of Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams I think we know who we can have discussions with and not on here. Most definitely. Advertisement Mar 27, 11, 09:... 212 comments | 6917 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #91
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    I'm ftom the Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,979

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    I honestly don't get the hate of UK fans toward any school or coach. The one that baffles me more than any is the extreme hate displayed toward Rick Pitino and Louisville. Where would the UK program be today if it weren't for Coach Pitino? He brought the UK program back pretty much from dead, and made it a national power again. Who cares if he went to an in state rival. A lot of my friends and family say he has no class because of that move. They call him a traitor. The Cats play Louisville once a year, and the game means nothing but state bragging rights. Yet these same people thought nothing of the move of two former UK coaches who went from a SEC rival school to become a Kentucky coach (Bill Curry and Tubby Smith). I can understand UK fans not liking Christian Laettner, but why so much hate toward Duke? Coach K has always been a class act toward UK, and their fans whether he has beaten the Cats, or lost to the Cats. The only honest reason so many UK fans hate Duke so much is because they feel threatened by the Duke program being superior to the Kentucky program. All of these means very little in the grand scheme of things. Get over it, and enjoy life.
    As for your point about Pitino I agree in that I will always appreciate what he did for U.K. basketball. A person would have to be a complete clueless moron not to acknowledge that. I will say that like CCC I have never liked his personality, just overlooked it when he coached THE team of the Bluegrass.....U.K. . Pitino going to U.L. sure didn't help matters either, an arch rival with a former U.K. great coach means instant dislike and hope that he loses every game his team plays(imagine Bear Bryant leaving Bama for Auburn).
    As for Duke, I cannot stand them, coach K but I do respect them. Guys from past Duke teams like Wo Jo, Laitner, Reddick, Hurley, Singler on this years team amoung many others imo go far beyond showing confidence (any player has to be confident and "cocky" imo) to flat out pompass arrogance. I don't go on every thread on Duke to express it, that is just crazy to me and gives them way too much attention,lol.
    Advertisement

  2. #92

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride View Post
    But you get to choose the number "7"....if you chose 8, it would be two final fours, more sweet 16's, and a title. If you chose 11, you would add another final four, title, sweet 16, etc....
    Choose anything from 10 on and Duke is still not the answer. There probably isn't a clear cut answer.

  3. #93
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    I'm ftom the Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,979

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Rookie View Post
    Sure is, UK is hated on all the time.
    I love that as well, for me is the same as being a NY Yankee player or fan. I love it when they boo.

  4. #94

    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,917

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Rookie View Post
    Choose anything from 10 on and Duke is still not the answer. There probably isn't a clear cut answer.
    You don't believe Duke has been the most dominant mens college basketball team in the last 20 years?

  5. #95

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    Quote Originally Posted by GRC4LIFE View Post
    You don't believe Duke has been the most dominant mens college basketball team in the last 20 years?
    10 on meant from 10 years ago until now. After all, this topic began when RP asked, "Who is the #1 program right now?"

  6. #96

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    Typical reaction. I guess you'll be saying the same thing about Cal when he's gone.
    No I've always liked Cal. He was my choice after Tubby, and he was definitely my choice after BCG as the old threads would attest. Cal may be a shady recruiter, but I enjoy the way he communicates with UK fans. He's shady, but to me he's not scum. When he leaves I will not have anything bad to say about him, unless he does something like Tressel and Pearl did to disgrace the university and the state.

    Pitino has always come off as arrogant, or at least more so than the average coach. Coach Cal is full of a lot of hot air, but he's usually a class act. Look at how Pitino was after the Morehead loss, to me he did not give them enough credit after the game. It's just who he is IMO.

  7. #97

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    I would hope no group of fans has the hair up their rear end for any other program like UK fans do with Duke. It's unhealthy and a bit sad.

    I've often asked myself how bad my life will have to be before I align its quality with the win-loss record of another school's team.

  8. #98
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,605

    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    No I've always liked Cal. He was my choice after Tubby, and he was definitely my choice after BCG as the old threads would attest. Cal may be a shady recruiter, but I enjoy the way he communicates with UK fans. He's shady, but to me he's not scum. When he leaves I will not have anything bad to say about him, unless he does something like Tressel and Pearl did to disgrace the university and the state.

    Pitino has always come off as arrogant, or at least more so than the average coach. Coach Cal is full of a lot of hot air, but he's usually a class act. Look at how Pitino was after the Morehead loss, to me he did not give them enough credit after the game. It's just who he is IMO.

    What a crock. I have no doubt you would have defended Pitino to no end when he was the coach at UK.

  9. #99

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I would hope no group of fans has the hair up their rear end for any other program like UK fans do with Duke. It's unhealthy and a bit sad.

    I've often asked myself how bad my life will have to be before I align its quality with the win-loss record of another school's team.
    Gotta love painting UK fans with one broad brush.

  10. #100

    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Wherever I am needed.
    Posts
    6,281

    Love how Duke fans are always banging on the "last 20 years" drum and always bashing Cal as a cheater. Same things over and over. Gets old. All fluff, no substance. I am sure they all have a miniature Coach K statue that they bow down to every morning before they start their day. Funny. The game in Catlanta is very much anticipated.

  11. #101

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    What a crock. I have no doubt you would have defended Pitino to no end when he was the coach at UK.
    Crock? How would you know?

    No I wouldn't have. I didn't defend Tubby (good coach, got a little lazy IMO), I did defend BCG because I liked him and I think it's tough to judge a person on just 2 years of work.

    Pitino was a great coach at UK, but even at a young age there was something about him that I did not like. I'm thankful for what he did at UK, but even going to U of L tells you alot about him & how he felt about Big Blue Nation IMO.

    And you obviously didn't know me when Coker was the coach at Miami if you think that is the case.

  12. #102
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,605

    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    Crock? How would you know?

    No I wouldn't have. I didn't defend Tubby (good coach, got a little lazy IMO), I did defend BCG because I liked him and I think it's tough to judge a person on just 2 years of work.

    Pitino was a great coach at UK, but even at a young age there was something about him that I did not like. I'm thankful for what he did at UK, but even going to U of L tells you alot about him & how he felt about Big Blue Nation IMO.

    And you obviously didn't know me when Coker was the coach at Miami if you think that is the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    I'm 23 but I look about 16, which is not exactly desirable when you're on a college campus.

    At 10 years old there was something about Pitino you didn't like? OK. I would believe that Adolph Rupp is still alive before I would believe that. Him going to UofL says nothing about how he felt about Big Blue Nation. It was a job at one of the top programs in the country. He would have been stupid not to take it. What about all of his former players at UK that told him he had to take the job. What does that say about how they feel about Big Blue Nation?

  13. #103

    Join Date
    Mar 09
    Posts
    1,475

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I would hope no group of fans has the hair up their rear end for any other program like UK fans do with Duke. It's unhealthy and a bit sad.

    I've often asked myself how bad my life will have to be before I align its quality with the win-loss record of another school's team.
    Clyde, you must live under a rock. Have you ever listened to sports talk radio in Louisville? UofL fans have some real hatred toward UK. How about Alabama and Auburn. Geez, Alabama killed Auburns trees. And do you believe for one second that UNC fans don't hate Duke every bit as much as UK fans?

  14. #104

    Join Date
    Mar 09
    Posts
    1,475

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    At 10 years old there was something about Pitino you didn't like? OK. I would believe that Adolph Rupp is still alive before I would believe that. Him going to UofL says nothing about how he felt about Big Blue Nation. It was a job at one of the top programs in the country. He would have been stupid not to take it. What about all of his former players at UK that told him he had to take the job. What does that say about how they feel about Big Blue Nation?
    You know I never was mad that Pitino took the Louisville job. I do think has attitude toward UK has changed since Calipari was hired. I said in another thread that I think Pitino is going to go down in history as more of a UK villain than UK hero and that to some extent bothers me.

  15. #105

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    At 10 years old there was something about Pitino you didn't like? OK. I would believe that Adolph Rupp is still alive before I would believe that. Him going to UofL says nothing about how he felt about Big Blue Nation. It was a job at one of the top programs in the country. He would have been stupid not to take it. What about all of his former players at UK that told him he had to take the job. What does that say about how they feel about Big Blue Nation?
    Yeah at 10 years old. I don't see how that's a big deal or so unbelievable. That's 4th or 5th grade, you can have some sort of opinion about people at that point, or at least I did about Pitino.

Top