Do Duke fans hate UK the way UK fans hate Duke

Page 13 of Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams I think we know who we can have discussions with and not on here. Most definitely. Advertisement Mar 27, 11, 09:... 212 comments | 6917 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #181
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Considering UK and UNC have maintained a yearly series for the past couple decades, that's more understandable than the nonexistent Duke-UK "rivalry."

    Plus, while there is indeed nationwide animosity toward Duke, I would argue that UK is likely pretty high on the list of "most-hated" teams across the college hoops landscape.

    I'd love to see a poll. UK is more loved than you think. Especially now that Cal is there. Cal brings street cred and when you have rappers like Drake who loves UK/Cal and now Jay-Z is visiting the locker room you kids notice those things. LeBron James is a UK fan. TMac is tweeting support for UK the whole tourney. Add in last year's likable class and this year's success UK is likely to be one of the top 5 most liked programs nationwide.
    Advertisement

  2. #182

    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Posts
    405

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz View Post


    As to the dominance of Duke it's similar to pre- '80. Duke only won 1 of 5 meetings or so.

    My reasons of dislike for Duke have more to do with my geography than any team rivalry. (Same for UNC) In other words, I have to live among these people and like Jim Schue can probably attest: That Ain't Easy Sometimes.
    I'm sure Jim would disagree that you know what it feels like because only UK fans (and every single one of them) are dumb enough to bring out such feelings.

  3. #183
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something about hard times, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,236

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    I'd love to see a poll. UK is more loved than you think. Especially now that Cal is there. Cal brings street cred and when you have rappers like Drake who loves UK/Cal and now Jay-Z is visiting the locker room you kids notice those things. LeBron James is a UK fan. TMac is tweeting support for UK the whole tourney. Add in last year's likable class and this year's success UK is likely to be one of the top 5 most liked programs nationwide.
    Honestly, do you really think they're associating themselves with UK for any reason other than the WWW/Calipari connection? And that's not what I'm talking about anyway. I'm talking about your average college basketball followers.

    UK has one of the largest followings of any program, to be sure. But they also inspire a great deal of animosity, much the same way the Dallas Cowboys can both be mentioned as the most hated and most loved NFL team.

  4. #184
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something about hard times, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,236

    Quote Originally Posted by cincy217 View Post
    I'm sure Jim would disagree that you know what it feels like because only UK fans (and every single one of them) are dumb enough to bring out such feelings.
    Sounds like you're read what you wanted to read and skipped over the rest. Your score is not good enough to advance to the next round; thanks for playing.

  5. #185
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Honestly, do you really think they're associating themselves with UK for any reason other than the WWW/Calipari connection? And that's not what I'm talking about anyway. I'm talking about your average college basketball followers.

    UK has one of the largest followings of any program, to be sure. But they also inspire a great deal of animosity, much the same way the Dallas Cowboys can both be mentioned as the most hated and most loved NFL team.

    I don't deny any of that. That is why I'd love to see a nationwide poll. I am curious to see.

  6. #186
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Sounds like you're read what you wanted to read and skipped over the rest. Your score is not good enough to advance to the next round; thanks for playing.


  7. #187

    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Posts
    405

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Sounds like you're read what you wanted to read and skipped over the rest. Your score is not good enough to advance to the next round; thanks for playing.
    You can make witty, snide comments all you want, but a vast majority of your posts suggest that you view the UK fan base as a congregation of ignorant hillbillies that are to be looked down upon, and virtually anyone who supports the basketball team is lumped into this category. I wasn't referring to your stance in this thread because I actually agree with your sentiments about a good deal of UK fans having an unsubstantiated dislike for Duke. I probably should have made the comment in a thread other than this one. My apologies.

  8. #188
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something about hard times, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,236

    Quote Originally Posted by cincy217 View Post
    You can make witty, snide comments all you want, but a vast majority of your posts suggest that you view the UK fan base as a congregation of ignorant hillbillies that are to be looked down upon, and virtually anyone who supports the basketball team is lumped into this category. I wasn't referring to your stance in this thread because I actually agree with your sentiments about a good deal of UK fans having an unsubstantiated dislike for Duke. I probably should have made the comment in a thread other than this one. My apologies.
    No, actually I split time between straight analysis and exposing the 18-percenters. I live in Kentucky, and have all my life. As a result, most of my friends are Kentucky fans, and most are quite reasonable. The 18-percenters -- the wackiest of the wacky -- are who my disdain is reserved for. If I thought the entire fan base was "a congregation of ignorant hillbillies" to be looked down upon, I wouldn't have many friends. And I have lots of them.

  9. #189

    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Posts
    405

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    No, actually I split time between straight analysis and exposing the 18-percenters. I live in Kentucky, and have all my life. As a result, most of my friends are Kentucky fans, and most are quite reasonable. The 18-percenters -- the wackiest of the wacky -- are who my disdain is reserved for. If I thought the entire fan base was "a congregation of ignorant hillbillies" to be looked down upon, I wouldn't have many friends. And I have lots of them.
    That's fair and I definitely agree that UK has plenty of whackos pulling for them. When you do provide analysis, I almost always agree with it. I think the exposure of the 18% is when you rub UK fans the wrong way because it may seem like it is an attack on the entire fan base, not just the unreasonable ones. What you say about them is true IMO, but I've always felt like it seems like a shot at all UK fans. I'd have to see that last part for myself to believe it.

  10. #190
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something about hard times, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,236

    Quote Originally Posted by cincy217 View Post
    That's fair and I definitely agree that UK has plenty of whackos pulling for them. When you do provide analysis, I almost always agree with it. I think the exposure of the 18% is when you rub UK fans the wrong way because it may seem like it is an attack on the entire fan base, not just the unreasonable ones. What you say about them is true IMO, but I've always felt like it seems like a shot at all UK fans. I'd have to see that last part for myself to believe it.
    Well, if we were to get together for an adult beverage or two, you'd find that I can be a pretty likable guy, despite my sometimes confrontational style ...

  11. #191

    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Posts
    405

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Well, if we were to get together for an adult beverage or two, you'd find that I can be a pretty likable guy, despite my sometimes confrontational style ...
    I'd be happy to take you up on that offer, but it might have to wait about 2 years. Who am I kidding that hasn't exactly stopped me before!

  12. #192
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,521

    I don't know if Duke fans hate UK as much or not but I do know that when Duke loses my facebook lights up with posts about it. That happens with no other team.

  13. #193
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    I don't know if Duke fans hate UK as much or not but I do know that when Duke loses my facebook lights up with posts about it. That happens with no other team.
    No doubt. I haven't posted much since Friday on Facebook because people are still talking about what Duke didn't do. As soon as they see me I am fresh meat now that UK is in the Final Four. To avoid verbal confrontations that may involve hurt feelings I say nothing. The folks I talk junk back and forth is cool but I never posted on anyone's wall when UK lost last year. I never openly enjoyed the fact that the whole state was sad and shocked at that loss. When Duke lost their games this year people who never talk to me had a lot to say all of a sudden. That grates me. I let them lose in peace. Why can't I?

  14. #194

    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Posts
    405

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    No doubt. I haven't posted much since Friday on Facebook because people are still talking about what Duke didn't do. As soon as they see me I am fresh meat now that UK is in the Final Four. To avoid verbal confrontations that may involve hurt feelings I say nothing. The folks I talk junk back and forth is cool but I never posted on anyone's wall when UK lost last year. I never openly enjoyed the fact that the whole state was sad and shocked at that loss. When Duke lost their games this year people who never talk to me had a lot to say all of a sudden. That grates me. I let them lose in peace. Why can't I?
    It's simple PP. You have class and are mature.

  15. #195

    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Posts
    5,545

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    No, actually I split time between straight analysis and exposing the 18-percenters.
    That may be accurate, but you consider everyone who disagrees with you to be in the "18%."

Top