College Players no longer allowed to "Test the waters" when deciding on the NBA.

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Pikeville, KY
    Posts
    22,132

    College Players no longer allowed to "Test the waters" when deciding on the NBA.

    Interesting, and it really changes a lot with college and the NBA. Hopefully it works out for the better for both leagues and doesn't cause a lot of quick decisions by players who aren't ready and make a bad decision.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Westchase, FL
    Posts
    31,380

  3. #3
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,604

    Very selfish move by the coaches to recommend it, and typical lunacy by the NCAA to pass it...

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    Taylor Mill
    Posts
    9,767

    I don't see how this is a win for either side..

  5. #5
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,604

    Quote Originally Posted by PutMeInCoach View Post
    I don't see how this is a win for either side..
    Coaches get to know who is gone before signing day. That's it...

  6. #6
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    35,976

    Bad for the kids, seems to be the motto for the NCAA.

  7. #7
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,604

    They are also about to cut out over half of the July eval period as well. Want to know why there are so many transfers in basketball? April eval is gone and July is about to be cut from 20 to 8 days. In what bizarro world does seeing kids less translate to having the best feel for who you are recruiting and what they can do on the court against like competition...

  8. #8
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,259

    Terrible decision.

  9. #9
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,605

    Can somebody explain this tweet to me? How could they not require student athletes to enter the draft? How else would the NBA teams know who is eligible to draft?


    bylawblog The Bylaw Blog by wildcats



    The NBA could throw a giant monkey wrench into the whole works by changing how draft entry works, i.e. not requiring SAs "enter" the draft.

    2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

  10. #10
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,945

    That is one of the dumber ideas I have ever heard. Way to stick it to the kids even more... does nothing but enhances a poor decision be made.

  11. #11
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,604

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    Can somebody explain this tweet to me? How could they not require student athletes to enter the draft? How else would the NBA teams know who is eligible to draft?


    bylawblog The Bylaw Blog by wildcats



    The NBA could throw a giant monkey wrench into the whole works by changing how draft entry works, i.e. not requiring SAs "enter" the draft.

    2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
    He's saying the NBA could just allow the teams to draft whoever they want and bargain in what happens if a kid doesn't "declare". Rights owned for a period of time like is done with foreign prospects...

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    pikeville
    Posts
    13,078

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    They are also about to cut out over half of the July eval period as well. Want to know why there are so many transfers in basketball? April eval is gone and July is about to be cut from 20 to 8 days. In what bizarro world does seeing kids less translate to having the best feel for who you are recruiting and what they can do on the court against like competition...
    Thats where those graduate assistants are going to have to step up to the plate. Get those video cameras and gas cards ready.



    In all seriousness though it seems like lick after lick coaches are taking in the NCAA. We all know evaluating a kid on film is night and day compared to actually being able to get out there and see them in person. Taking April eval away was bad enough but if they cut down July then there goes any kind of evaluation at all IMO. I guess its good if you can get more time to work with your own kids on campus instead of being out on the road, but that would be about the only positive. Typical NCAA, especially lately.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    NCAA is protecting their product. Simple as that.

  14. #14
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,605

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    He's saying the NBA could just allow the teams to draft whoever they want and bargain in what happens if a kid doesn't "declare". Rights owned for a period of time like is done with foreign prospects...

    You think there's a chance the NBA might do that?

  15. #15
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,604

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    You think there's a chance the NBA might do that?
    Not something I have ever heard tossed around...

Top