College Football vs College Basketball - Which title is tougher to win?

Page 2 of Originally Posted by PurplePride92 Nope. I am a very casual college football fan compared to my love for college basketball but football is way harder.... 46 comments | 1242 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Football- only two teams (out of 120 possible) a year get a shot at the title. In basketball, 68 (out of 346) get a shot.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Football and it isn't even close. When you can finish the season undefeated and not be the champion......well.......I rest my case.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    330

    But in football if you are the choosen two, you only have to win one game! In basketball u have to win 5!

  4. #19
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,605

    Football, because nobody has ever won one.

  5. #20
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    70,245

    Quote Originally Posted by born2reign View Post
    Football- only two teams (out of 120 possible) a year get a shot at the title. In basketball, 68 (out of 346) get a shot.
    Good point. But you could also look at it & say only 1 team out of 120 in football or 1 team out of 350 in basketball.

  6. #21
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by 5throundball View Post
    But in football if you are the choosen two, you only have to win one game! In basketball u have to win 5!
    That's the thing....you have to be chosen to be one of the two in football. In basketball you earn your way to the title game.

  7. #22
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,917

    Quote Originally Posted by born2reign View Post
    Football- only two teams (out of 120 possible) a year get a shot at the title. In basketball, 68 (out of 346) get a shot.
    And in reality, with the exception of the Ivy League all conferences have a tournament to determine their bid, so virtually every team has a shot.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    5 Miles from nowhere
    Posts
    20,629

    Quote Originally Posted by mobaar View Post
    Only if its against a bad team. You probably only play 3-4 top teams a year, and if you lose one of those, you're not necessarily out.
    True. But, it's hard to be "up" every week and the top teams often have a couple of close calls, or even a loss, against teams that we would all pencil in as a win.

    I would say for the eventual champion, and related to your point, one thing that makes it easier is the BCS system. They get penciled in to the title game and only have to win that one game. They get to avoid all the other top teams.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    Good point. But you could also look at it & say only 1 team out of 120 in football or 1 team out of 350 in basketball.
    Your post makes no sense- of course only one team wins the title. The BCS title game has 2 competitors, so both have a shot to win. Without a playoff system, only those two teams can win a title. In the NCAA tourney, there are 68 entries and they are all competing for the NCAA Basketball title. In terms of percentages less than 2% of teams in college football get to compete for the title while over 19% get to compete for a basketball title.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    I would venture a guess that the guys on here that are bigger CBB fans are saying basketball, and vise-versa. I think it's ridiculous myself, but to each his own. If I'm looking for the easier path to the title, I"ll take having to win 6 games (only 4 at the most against real top competition) vs. having to win 12 or 13 games with little to no margin for error any day of the week.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    I would venture a guess that the guys on here that are bigger CBB fans are saying basketball, and vise-versa. I think it's ridiculous myself, but to each his own. If I'm looking for the easier path to the title, I"ll take having to win 6 games (only 4 at the most against real top competition) vs. having to win 12 or 13 games with little to no margin for error any day of the week.
    And, as you have pointed out already Cats, you can win all of your games and still not win the title. You can win all your games and not even have a shot at the title.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    9,141

    LRCW, come to my Bama cave.

    Both are hard thats why they are called Championships. In basketball playing on thursday/Saturdays back to back weekends thats hard, football I agree with those comments. UCONN was ninth in the BigEast this year, but got hot at the right time and deserved it.

    Back when Auburn got shafted it was the Sooners against USC and USC won.

    This past season Bama lost to the Gamecocks bad, but if we won out we would been back in the NC game.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by born2reign View Post
    And, as you have pointed out already Cats, you can win all of your games and still not win the title. You can win all your games and not even have a shot at the title.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    pikeville
    Posts
    13,078

    Basketball.....

    So much unpredictability in a single elimination format and because of which makes it very hard to win the title. For the last two years in a row a team has won the title that you could argue wasn't even one of the top five teams in the country. It's all about getting hot in March and winning those six games that matter.



    Football is hard because you cannot make any mistakes, BUT, you get a week or more to prepare before every game you play. You can implement game plans, etc. and more often than not the best teams normally always win. Thats what makes the football upset so special because far fewer upsets in football than there is in basketball. Furthermore, if your one of the best teams in football your going to have a shot at playing for the title, you just have to take care of business. The SEC is the toughest conference in college football hands down, so it is very tough to come out of the SEC and make it to the title game, but as hard as that is to do over the course of the season winning a title in Mens College Basketball is just another level of toughness.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by dolamite View Post
    Basketball.....

    So much unpredictability in a single elimination format and because of which makes it very hard to win the title. For the last two years in a row a team has won the title that you could argue wasn't even one of the top five teams in the country. It's all about getting hot in March and winning those six games that matter.



    Football is hard because you cannot make any mistakes, BUT, you get a week or more to prepare before every game you play. You can implement game plans, etc. and more often than not the best teams normally always win. Thats what makes the football upset so special because far fewer upsets in football than there is in basketball. Furthermore, if your one of the best teams in football your going to have a shot at playing for the title, you just have to take care of business. The SEC is the toughest conference in college football hands down, so it is very tough to come out of the SEC and make it to the title game, but as hard as that is to do over the course of the season winning a title in Mens College Basketball is just another level of toughness.
    Football is single elimination for the most part, only it is all season long and that still might not be enough. As for just take care of business, that could be said about basketball teams as well. One bad game can hurt worse in football, look at USC three years ago. They were every bit as good as Oklahoma IMO, but one loss earlier in the year killed them. A team can lose 10 times and still be NCAA champion. A team can get to the Final Four and only play one or two top 15 teams in the process. Not going to happen in football. Butler could have won by only playing one #1 seed and one #2 seed both of which were not as strong IMO as their seed would have suggested.

    And the mere fact that a mid-major can win the title is evidence enough that football is much harder. JMO.

Top