Coach Cal to the NBA?

Page 4 of Well I'm sure everyone knew these type rumors would start up again this year. Here is out first one. John Calipari coming back to the NBA to coach? Per... 100 comments | 3597 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,259

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Rookie View Post
    If (when) he leaves it will be to take a high profile NBA job which has even more pressure than UK. Some guys can't handle the pressure of the Kentucky job, John Calipari is not on that list.
    I agree all 3 of the NBA jobs that were named have just as much pressure if not more especially the Lakers. But there is less than Zero % chance he goes to the Lakers anyway.
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    THUNDERBIRDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    Keeping the S.C.I.T. in check...
    Posts
    4,116

    He stays........why? Brad Calipari.....I think we will now have Cal as long as his son is in High School....IMO I highly doubt he pulls his kid out of another school and start over again. Just my 2 Cents!!

  3. #48
    Pancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    Walking the stairway to 7
    Posts
    9,150

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I agree all 3 of the NBA jobs that were named have just as much pressure if not more especially the Lakers. But there is less than Zero % chance he goes to the Lakers anyway.
    I didn't hear any jobs named, but outside of the Lakers. I don't see many teams with the pressure that UK has. This is just my opinion...

  4. #49
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,259

    Quote Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
    I didn't hear any jobs named, but outside of the Lakers. I don't see many teams with the pressure that UK has. This is just my opinion...
    Miami, New York?

  5. #50
    Pancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    Walking the stairway to 7
    Posts
    9,150

    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERBIRDS View Post
    He stays........why? Brad Calipari.....I think we will now have Cal as long as his son is in High School....IMO I highly doubt he pulls his kid out of another school and start over again. Just my 2 Cents!!
    I assume he pulled him out of middle school to come to UK and that is more traumatic than high school. I don't see him leaving this year, but I wouldn't be shocked if he left in the next 2...

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,045

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Rookie View Post
    I agree. At the same time I can't imagine him leaving with maybe his best recruiting class ever on deck.
    If he really wants to go to the NBA he might not get to decide to wait. For instance if Miami is offered this summer would he stay because of an incoming class? He's had the best class 3 years in a row. He'll get good classes. On the other hand if he turns down a Miami or NYK now will he ever get another chance to coach that talent? Say Miami opens and someone else takes it and wins a title in one of the next two years he isn't getting replaced.

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,045

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
    Cal Tweet from last night: Can't wait until BBM when we can all be together again and raise a new Final Four banner to Rupp's rafters, Go Big Blue.

    Coach Cal is not going anywhere. No way he leaves with the way he's got things rolling in Lexington. I would be shocked. Pitino calls leaving UK his biggest career mistake.
    I'm guessing if he takes an NBA job he doesn't tweet that he's leaving from a UK account before the job is even open. Call it a hunch.

  8. #53
    Pancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    Walking the stairway to 7
    Posts
    9,150

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Miami, New York?
    New York has Yankees, Giants and Jets, which have a stronger following than the Knicks, what else does Kentucky have? I have a hard time thinking Miami cares more about their heat , than Kentucky does about their Wildcats.

  9. #54
    Pancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    Walking the stairway to 7
    Posts
    9,150

    Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    If he really wants to go to the NBA he might not get to decide to wait. For instance if Miami is offered this summer would he stay because of an incoming class? He's had the best class 3 years in a row. He'll get good classes. On the other hand if he turns down a Miami or NYK now will he ever get another chance to coach that talent? Say Miami opens and someone else takes it and wins a title in one of the next two years he isn't getting replaced.
    That is a solid point about Miami. I don't see their current coach staying.

  10. #55
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,259

    Quote Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
    New York has Yankees, Giants and Jets, which have a stronger following than the Knicks, what else does Kentucky have? I have a hard time thinking Miami cares more about their heat , than Kentucky does about their Wildcats.
    Miami doesn't care but the pressure is there because of the media and the hype of the big 3. It's rings or bust. If there wasn't pressure with the Knicks why would they be ready to fire D'Antoni?

  11. #56
    Pancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    Walking the stairway to 7
    Posts
    9,150

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Miami doesn't care but the pressure is there because of the media and the hype of the big 3. It's rings or bust. If there wasn't pressure with the Knicks why would they be ready to fire D'Antoni?
    Not saying their is no pressure, just saying not as much. All this is just my opinion...

    I still think he stays for next season.

  12. #57

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    If Cal were to leave I would want UK to make Brad Stevens an offer he couldn't refuse.

  13. #58
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,603

    Quote Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
    New York has Yankees, Giants and Jets, which have a stronger following than the Knicks, what else does Kentucky have? I have a hard time thinking Miami cares more about their heat , than Kentucky does about their Wildcats.
    NYC is a basketball city to the core. If the Knicks are winning only the Yankee base would be bigger...

  14. #59

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,045

    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    If Cal were to leave I would want UK to make Brad Stevens an offer he couldn't refuse.
    Agreed

  15. #60
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,237

    I love hearing the NBA rumors. I hope we hear these every year. All it does is make Cal's recruiting job even easier. When these top tier kids see Cal rumored to be in demand from the NBA, it just solidifies even more that they want to play for him. That's where they want to play and they see Cal as the guy to get them there as fast as possible. Keep the rumors coming.

Top