BYU Center Davies dimissed from team

Page 3 of Originally Posted by NHS BIG DADDY Whoever it is that dismissed the player from the team also broke the honor code. They just screwed the basketball te... 74 comments | 2412 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Posts
    2,568

    Is the girlfriend indeed pregnant? Or is it just the case that he admitted to having sex with his girlfriend?
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Westchase, FL
    Posts
    31,364

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Stopper View Post
    Is the girlfriend indeed pregnant? Or is it just the case that he admitted to having sex with his girlfriend?
    Doesn't matter. Having sex out of wedlock is a violation of the of the Honor Code.


    The BYU Honor Code Statement

    We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men. . . . If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things (Thirteenth Article of Faith).

    As a matter of personal commitment, faculty, administration, staff, and students of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, Brigham Young University—Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will

    Be honest
    Live a chaste and virtuous life
    Obey the law and all campus policies
    Use clean language
    Respect others
    Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
    Participate regularly in church services
    Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
    Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code

    Specific policies embodied in the Honor Code include (1) the Academic Honesty Policy, (2) the Dress and Grooming Standards, (3) the Residential Living Standards, and (4) the Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement. (Refer to institutional policies for more detailed information.)

    http://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2010-201.../HonorCode.php

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Mark "Bo" Pelini was born 6 weeks premature. He designed a blitz to help him escape from his mother's uterus early.
    Posts
    11,984

    Whoever it is that dismissed the player from the team also broke the honor code. They just screwed the basketball team.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Doesn't matter. Having sex out of wedlock is a violation of the of the Honor Code.


    The BYU Honor Code Statement

    We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men. . . . If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things (Thirteenth Article of Faith).

    As a matter of personal commitment, faculty, administration, staff, and students of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, Brigham Young University—Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will

    Be honest
    Live a chaste and virtuous life
    Obey the law and all campus policies
    Use clean language
    Respect others
    Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
    Participate regularly in church services
    Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
    Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code

    Specific policies embodied in the Honor Code include (1) the Academic Honesty Policy, (2) the Dress and Grooming Standards, (3) the Residential Living Standards, and (4) the Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement. (Refer to institutional policies for more detailed information.)

    http://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2010-201.../HonorCode.php
    I should have eluded in my earlier post but I do understand that it doesn't matter either way but I was just curious on the nitty gritty was all.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,045

    He'll be a nice pickup for wherever he transfers.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,396

    I don't think I would last an hour as a BYU student.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Sep 08
    Location
    The Town That Bleeds Blue
    Posts
    1,437

    What's his situation looking like regarding transfer status? If he goes somewhere else this year, how long does he have to sit out before he can play?

    BTW, put me in the camp that finds this whole situation beyond ridiculous. I understand BYU sticking to their guns and all that, but still. C'mon Mannnn. Good luck recruiting.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Posts
    2,298

    Wow......

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,396

    I'm in the camp where I think the right thing happened here. Davies willingly signed up for this level of religous idiocy so I think he is getting exactly what he signed up for. I also think this is probably a good thing for him.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Aug 09
    Posts
    1,953

    Quote Originally Posted by BleedBlue12 View Post
    What's his situation looking like regarding transfer status? If he goes somewhere else this year, how long does he have to sit out before he can play?

    BTW, put me in the camp that finds this whole situation beyond ridiculous. I understand BYU sticking to their guns and all that, but still. C'mon Mannnn. Good luck recruiting.
    They have been recruiting for years with this code.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Jan 10
    Posts
    1,629

    Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    He'll be a nice pickup for wherever he transfers.
    Was my thinking exactly . Will everyone question the morals of the University that he transfers to ?

  12. #42
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something about hard times, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,236

    Moral of the story: Don't go to religious-based colleges and plan to be anything but a Boy Scout's Boy Scout.

  13. #43
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    34,251

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    He signed papers stating that he would follow those set of rules, he broke the contract. If the kid had cheated on papers/tests would you feel that BYU's actions were appropriate then?
    Cheating on a test or paper is MUCH, MUCH different than having sex with a long-term girlfriend...

  14. #44

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    Care to revisit???
    I've been away. Last I heard after my post is that he admitted to having sexual relations.

    Is it official that someone is pregnant?

  15. #45
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    34,251

    Quote Originally Posted by formerkywrestler View Post
    I don't think I would last an hour...
    From what I understand, that's not a violation of the BYU moral code.

Top