Big East

Page 9 of Originally Posted by Irish Cat If we are talking about this season then perhaps its true that the Big East lacks NBA talent, however, I think over the ... 234 comments | 7320 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #121

    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Location
    a contest
    Posts
    3,931

    Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    I don't get your argument. Butler was 2nd in their conference. UConn was 9th. The 9th place team from a "bad" conference is in the Elite 8 and they're favored to make the Final 4. Not terrible for a bad conference.
    I'll go slow...it's all about how you are seeded. UConn was a #3 seed-meaning the committee at worst thought they were the 12th best team in the country. So by your account the 9th best team in the Big East was ranked by the committee as the 12th best team in the country. They have to this point then overacheived by 1 game in the NCAA tournament by making the Elite 8. ALL of the other Big East teams besides Marquette underacheived based on their seedings.

    Butler was an 8 seed. The committee thought at worst they were the 32nd best team in the country. The Bulldogs have overacheived by two rounds in the tournament so far.
    Advertisement

  2. #122

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    Who would have thought that the Big East pundits would be bragging about getting a team to the Elite 8? Oh how things have changed in the past couple of weeks.

  3. #123

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,267

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Rookie View Post
    Who would have thought that the Big East pundits would be bragging about getting a team to the Elite 8? Oh how things have changed in the past couple of weeks.
    They have filled their quota. All they needed was one team to get into the Elite 8 to do that.

  4. #124

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,045

    Quote Originally Posted by History View Post
    I'll go slow...it's all about how you are seeded. UConn was a #3 seed-meaning the committee at worst thought they were the 12th best team in the country. So by your account the 9th best team in the Big East was ranked by the committee as the 12th best team in the country. They have to this point then overacheived by 1 game in the NCAA tournament by making the Elite 8. ALL of the other Big East teams besides Marquette underacheived based on their seedings.

    Butler was an 8 seed. The committee thought at worst they were the 32nd best team in the country. The Bulldogs have overacheived by two rounds in the tournament so far.
    Thanks for slowing it down. The committee thought the 9th best team from a conference was a top 12 team in the country but that conference is bad? Got it.

    Break down the 11th seeded Marquette for me. They finished 11th in the conference. So they should not have won any games if they were only the 41-44th team in the country right?

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    They have filled their quota. All they needed was one team to get into the Elite 8 to do that.
    Filled their quota?

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,045

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Rookie View Post
    Who would have thought that the Big East pundits would be bragging about getting a team to the Elite 8? Oh how things have changed in the past couple of weeks.
    I'm not remotley a BE pundit, but to say the conference isn't any good because Pitt and ND didn't make the sweet 16 is absurd. Were Kansas and Kentucky not any good last year because neither of them made the Final Four? I would agree that the top of the conference isn't great, but that's not what makes the BE so tough. It's tough because the teams 5-11 are tough and you don't get any breaks.

  7. #127

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    Thanks for slowing it down. The committee thought the 9th best team from a conference was a top 12 team in the country but that conference is bad? Got it.
    The best player in the Big East has his team on his shoulders and is carrying them throughout the tournament. Certainly solidifies the conference in my book

    The Big East is no doubt the deepest conference which, in my mind, makes it the toughest. There is no gap between teams in the Big East and top half teams in other major conferences though.

  8. #128

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    I'm not remotley a BE pundit, but to say the conference isn't any good because Pitt and ND didn't make the sweet 16 is absurd. Were Kansas and Kentucky not any good last year because neither of them made the Final Four? I would agree that the top of the conference isn't great, but that's not what makes the BE so tough. It's tough because the teams 5-11 are tough and you don't get any breaks.
    Agree.

  9. #129

    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,917

    I don't think the arguement should be whether the Big East is a good conference or not... everybody knows they are the best. The arguement IMO should be why do they underachieve in the Big Dance?

  10. #130
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,603

    Quote Originally Posted by History View Post
    ALL of the other Big East teams besides Marquette underacheived based on their seedings.
    How is #6 seed UC underachieving by losing to #3 seed UConn???

  11. #131

    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Location
    a contest
    Posts
    3,931

    Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    Thanks for slowing it down. The committee thought the 9th best team from a conference was a top 12 team in the country but that conference is bad? Got it.

    Break down the 11th seeded Marquette for me. They finished 11th in the conference. So they should not have won any games if they were only the 41-44th team in the country right?
    That's right...

    The conference was overhyped and has been exposed in this tournament. Charles Barkley has hit the nail on the head...

  12. #132

    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Location
    a contest
    Posts
    3,931

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    How is #6 seed UC underachieving by losing to #3 seed UConn???
    UC was about right. ranked by the committee in the top 24 in the country..ousted by a higher seed before going to the Sweet 16.

  13. #133

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,267

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    They have filled their quota. All they needed was one team to get into the Elite 8 to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Rookie View Post
    Filled their quota?
    Yes, 11 teams in a 68 team field is 1 out of every 6 teams. They have one team in the final 8, which is about where they should be, right? If they have a team get to the Final Four they will be overachieving.

  14. #134
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,603

    Quote Originally Posted by History View Post
    UC was about right. ranked by the committee in the top 24 in the country..ousted by a higher seed before going to the Sweet 16.
    So you exaggerated the statement I quoted???

  15. #135

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Yes, 11 teams in a 68 team field is 1 out of every 6 teams. They have one team in the final 8, which is about where they should be, right? If they have a team get to the Final Four they will be overachieving.
    Worst reasoning I've ever heard.

Top