UFC (Zuffa) Purchases Strikeforce?

  1. #1
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,413

    UFC (Zuffa) Purchases Strikeforce?

    That's what read. I'm on my phone so i can't provide a link. Apparently Dana white said all people involved in strikeforce right now will remain in their current positions.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/...=ESPNHeadlines

    "Zuffa LLC, owner and operator of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, has agreed in principle to purchase Strikeforce, essentially its lone remaining competitor in the mixed martial arts market, multiple sources with knowledge of the deal confirmed to ESPN.com.


    UFC president Dana White told MMAFighting.com that Zuffa had purchased Strikeforce.

    An announcement could come as soon as Monday."


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    For fight fans, I can not see a negative. The PPV cards will be outrageously good and deep now. I also think this will lead to more MMA on cable and free t.v. This will increase the exposure and quality of MMA for the immediate future. This is a great day to be an MMA fan, IMO.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Okay, so now I read this and I am not sure of why this purchase was made.

    http://mmajunkie.com/news/22807/ufc-...trikeforce.mma

    "...White said under the terms of the purchase, Strikeforce talent will remain on the promotion's roster for the time being, though UFC fighters could potentially make their way into the organization.

    "Strikeforce is going to continue to run business as usual," White told MMAFighting.com. "There are contracts in place. These guys are on Showtime. Strikeforce pulls good ratings for Showtime. I think Showtime is happy with them. All those contracts will be honored. These guys are going to remain Strikeforce fighters.

    "Could guys from the UFC leave and end up over in Strikeforce? Yeah."

    Showtime officials also declined to comment on the transaction when contacted by MMAjunkie.com.

    Similar to Zuffa's retention of WEC executive Reed Harris following the 2006 purchase of his company, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker will remain a part of the company and will run day-to-day operations.

    White ruled out the possibility off cross-promotion "superfights" featuring fighters from both promotions and said current fighter contracts, broadcast deals and business partnerships will be unaffected.

    White suggested the primary motivating factor for the purchase was to acquire new talent as Zuffa LLC continues its global expansion. However, White also insisted that Strikeforce will continue to operate as an independent entity, right down to negotiating for fighters' services.

    "That's a separate business that has their own income," White said. "They have their own budgets and everything else that they do. They have they're own television deals. If they're that interested in acquiring (a fighter), it's no different than it was before."



    If you are not going to treat Strikeforce the way you treated Pride, I am not sure why you even do this deal. You brought in Dan Henderson, Shogun, Wanderlei, Big Nog and made the superfights people wanted to see. Why not use this model again and get Nick Diaz, Gil Melendez, King Mo and Mosasi into the ring to fight some of the best in the UFC right away?

  5. #5
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,413

    Quote Originally Posted by born2reign View Post
    Okay, so now I read this and I am not sure of why this purchase was made.

    http://mmajunkie.com/news/22807/ufc-...trikeforce.mma

    "...White said under the terms of the purchase, Strikeforce talent will remain on the promotion's roster for the time being, though UFC fighters could potentially make their way into the organization.

    "Strikeforce is going to continue to run business as usual," White told MMAFighting.com. "There are contracts in place. These guys are on Showtime. Strikeforce pulls good ratings for Showtime. I think Showtime is happy with them. All those contracts will be honored. These guys are going to remain Strikeforce fighters.

    "Could guys from the UFC leave and end up over in Strikeforce? Yeah."

    Showtime officials also declined to comment on the transaction when contacted by MMAjunkie.com.

    Similar to Zuffa's retention of WEC executive Reed Harris following the 2006 purchase of his company, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker will remain a part of the company and will run day-to-day operations.

    White ruled out the possibility off cross-promotion "superfights" featuring fighters from both promotions and said current fighter contracts, broadcast deals and business partnerships will be unaffected.

    White suggested the primary motivating factor for the purchase was to acquire new talent as Zuffa LLC continues its global expansion. However, White also insisted that Strikeforce will continue to operate as an independent entity, right down to negotiating for fighters' services.

    "That's a separate business that has their own income," White said. "They have their own budgets and everything else that they do. They have they're own television deals. If they're that interested in acquiring (a fighter), it's no different than it was before."



    If you are not going to treat Strikeforce the way you treated Pride, I am not sure why you even do this deal. You brought in Dan Henderson, Shogun, Wanderlei, Big Nog and made the superfights people wanted to see. Why not use this model again and get Nick Diaz, Gil Melendez, King Mo and Mosasi into the ring to fight some of the best in the UFC right away?
    Mosasi is an M-1 fighter isn't he? I doubt he or Fedor fight in Strikeforce anymore .

    I'd say eventually, the cross promotions will happen. Eventually Strikeforce will not exist anymore, much like the WEC.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 10
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,154

    Quote Originally Posted by born2reign View Post
    For fight fans, I can not see a negative. The PPV cards will be outrageously good and deep now. I also think this will lead to more MMA on cable and free t.v. This will increase the exposure and quality of MMA for the immediate future. This is a great day to be an MMA fan, IMO.
    I agree.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    Mosasi is an M-1 fighter isn't he? I doubt he or Fedor fight in Strikeforce anymore .

    I'd say eventually, the cross promotions will happen. Eventually Strikeforce will not exist anymore, much like the WEC.
    WEC model made sense because the acquisition was about adding the new weight classes; the UFC waited until they felt ther was signifigcant talent in the lighter weights and then simly rolled them into the UFC.

    No need to wait on this one. The depth and talent is there- roll in the best and cut the rest. This is what they did with Pride, IMO. I would think that this would be the best strategy with Strikeforce as well. Maybe the Showtime and CBS TV deals prevent this from happening, I don't know. I would think that both companies would rather put out UFC events and partner with that brand over Strikeforce, but we do not have all of the info on this thing.

  8. #8
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,413

    Quote Originally Posted by born2reign View Post
    WEC model made sense because the acquisition was about adding the new weight classes; the UFC waited until they felt ther was signifigcant talent in the lighter weights and then simly rolled them into the UFC.

    No need to wait on this one. The depth and talent is there- roll in the best and cut the rest. This is what they did with Pride, IMO. I would think that this would be the best strategy with Strikeforce as well. Maybe the Showtime and CBS TV deals prevent this from happening, I don't know. I would think that both companies would rather put out UFC events and partner with that brand over Strikeforce, but we do not have all of the info on this thing.
    I trust Dana White and Zuffa know what they are doing. They've turned MMA and the UFC into one of the most popular sports/brands in the world. I'd say the contracts with Showtime and CBS are key right now.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    I trust Dana White and Zuffa know what they are doing. They've turned MMA and the UFC into one of the most popular sports/brands in the world. I'd say the contracts with Showtime and CBS are key right now.
    I trust- who am I not to, after all. I do question, however.

    The moves to this point that UFC has made in terms of company acquisitions have been fairly logical and easy to follow. This one has a concern, IMO. I do not see why you would acquire Strikeforce to keep them around. The reason to make this acquisition at this stage in the game for UFC is to acquire talent. I know this was an expensive purchase to make so what is the point of waiting, unless there is a hang up like the existing Strikeforce TV deals.

    My point is that the UFC should be able to renegotiate the terms of these deals simply based on brand recognition- UFC is a bigger name in MMA than Strikeforce. I would rather have a UFC card on my network. It all takes time, I get that, but why paint this the way the way Dana did by ruling out super fights and saying all existing deals will be honored? Why not, instead, say we will look into all possible scenarios for how we want to position this acquisition? Do not rule out anything and work behind the scenes to position Strikeforce as they see fit.

    Again, I am just asking the question. Long term, this is a great day for MMA fans and the future of the UFC. There is no doubt about that!

  10. #10
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,413

    Dana has stated that the model strikeforce is using is working, basically. He didn't rule out UFC guys fighting in SF though.

    I'd say eventually they will merge into the ufc only.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Mark "Bo" Pelini was born 6 weeks premature. He designed a blitz to help him escape from his mother's uterus early.
    Posts
    11,984

    Unless they have plans to merge down the road or cross promote between UFC/Strikeforce then right now the purchase doesnt make much sense. I like that they bought them and I'll let it play out more before I say it was a good or bad idea.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    pikeville
    Posts
    13,078

    Seems like I was reading a few months ago Strikeforce was going down in a hurry and the owners were afraid they were going to lose their rears. I think this move may have more to do with them getting out now and getting something out of their investment before they get ran straight into the ground ala Affliction.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 07
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    4,421

    From what I've read Strikeforce will remain unchanged until the fighters contracts run out, then you will begin seeing some cross promotion. Who knows? Should be exciting though.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 10
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,154

    Quote Originally Posted by dolamite View Post
    Seems like I was reading a few months ago Strikeforce was going down in a hurry and the owners were afraid they were going to lose their rears. I think this move may have more to do with them getting out now and getting something out of their investment before they get ran straight into the ground ala Affliction.
    If that is the case, than it definitely makes sense.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    5 Miles from nowhere
    Posts
    20,629

    What did they say initially when they purchased PRIDE?

Top