Waterfront Restaurant Breaks Loose with 150 on Board

Page 2 of The Waterfront floating restaurant has broken loose from it's moorings on the Covington riverfront, floated downstream a short distance, and lodged aga... 46 comments | 1849 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Birdsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Vetustior Humo!
    Posts
    62,362

    Quote Originally Posted by SportsGuy41017 View Post
    It's ALL decided by the Army Corps of Engineers if anything on the water should close, and they said it was safe to stay open.
    It's a decision of the individual owner. The other floating restaurant owners took the safer course.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Ft. Mitchell Ky
    Posts
    21,150

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdsfan View Post
    It's a decision of the individual owner. The other floating restaurant owners took the safer course.
    If the Army Corps of Engineers think it it too dangerous they would order it to be closed. Those others decided on their own to close or whatever reasons, some of them just didn't have the access like the Waterfront does now.

    Also, I have no problem with them staying open, in fact I was there last weekend when the river was just a few feet lower than it is now. This will never happen again, just one of those odd things.

    I agree after it happened their was some extreme concern, until the tugs got there, after that it wasn't going anywhere, but for some stations to stay on the story live for that long is rediculous.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Mark "Bo" Pelini was born 6 weeks premature. He designed a blitz to help him escape from his mother's uterus early.
    Posts
    11,984

    Well those people on board will have a funy story to tell for the rest of their lives.

  4. #19
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,632

    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERBIRDS View Post
    The other classic was...."When I first got word, I didn't know if the barge was floating to Pittsburgh or what"....LOL!!!!!
    That's hilarious!

  5. #20
    Birdsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Vetustior Humo!
    Posts
    62,362

    Quote Originally Posted by SportsGuy41017 View Post
    If the Army Corps of Engineers think it it too dangerous they would order it to be closed. Those others decided on their own to close or whatever reasons, some of them just didn't have the access like the Waterfront does now.
    The others listened to the reports issued by the Corp of Engineers and took the prudent approach. The Waterfront chose to ignore the risk. We see how that worked out for them.

  6. #21
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,521

    In other highly important news stories that require hrs of coverage, Lin-Wong is giving birth to a brand new baby Panda at the San Diego Zoo. Lets go to Brick for a live report.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Posts
    1,283

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    In other highly important news stories that require hrs of coverage, Lin-Wong is giving birth to a brand new baby Panda at the San Diego Zoo. Lets go to Brick for a live report.
    Exactly!!

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jul 08
    Posts
    1,517

    I thought it was pretty weak that Chris Collinsworth was the first person down the ladder. What ever happened to women and children first?

  9. #24
    Mack The Knife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    "Last night when we were young"
    Posts
    6,271

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle2013 View Post
    I thought it was pretty weak that Chris Collinsworth was the first person down the ladder. What ever happened to women and children first?
    I read where he was testing the ladder to make sure it was safe. The first 15 minutes of rescue was pretty dicey. After that, it was women and children first.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    Independence, KY
    Posts
    21,009

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle2013 View Post
    I thought it was pretty weak that Chris Collinsworth was the first person down the ladder. What ever happened to women and children first?
    Somebody should have pushed him in the water!

  11. #26

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle2013 View Post
    I thought it was pretty weak that Chris Collinsworth was the first person down the ladder. What ever happened to women and children first?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack The Knife View Post
    I read where he was testing the ladder to make sure it was safe. The first 15 minutes of rescue was pretty dicey. After that, it was women and children first.
    You are correct, Mack. From the Enquirer:

    he first few had to balance on their stocking feet as they stepped along the ladder's side rails. The walk was somewhat perilous; a person could fall about 10 feet before hitting water that was about 10 feet deep, Cassidy said.

    After about 15 minutes, rescuers devised a way to make disembarking easier. They placed a wooden plank along the ladder's rungs to create a makeshift gangway.

    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...0103/103130354

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Ft. Mitchell Ky
    Posts
    21,150

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdsfan View Post
    The others listened to the reports issued by the Corp of Engineers and took the prudent approach. The Waterfront chose to ignore the risk. We see how that worked out for them.
    The others did NOT have access, such as Hooter's and Beer Sellar, they can't be open if there is no way to the boat. They closed the day they had no access to their boat

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Ft. Mitchell Ky
    Posts
    21,150

    They are saying Ruby is looking into if it's worth opening back up with all the costs and insurance fees, and of course the ecomony.

  14. #29
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,237

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdsfan View Post
    The others listened to the reports issued by the Corp of Engineers and took the prudent approach. The Waterfront chose to ignore the risk. We see how that worked out for them.
    What were the reports from the Corps of Engineers? Did they issue a report recommending floating restaurants close?

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    ERLANGER KENTUCKY
    Posts
    4,253

    From what I heard Cris Collinsworth was the 3rd person off and his wife Holly was 23 rd off ????????? I was told this yesterday while watching the UK game. Funny!!!!! JD

Top