Ma Kelly's in Richmond

Page 2 of Anyone remember this place in Richmond. It was a great home cooking place frequented by us college kids. If I remember \\$3 would fill you up. When did t... 27 comments | 1770 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Posts
    551

    Was this the place that was in an old gas station? I think it was about 1/2 mile or so out of town.
    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    Yes, remember it well from trips to Richmond. There was one similar in Bowling Green in the 70's called Mary's. Big guy would get filled up for $2. Those were the days.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,968

    Loved Ma Kelly's. Bannana Pudding was still the best I've ever had. Couldn't be the price, the quantity or the quality.

    I haven't been back to Richmond downtown since 1985. Sounds like it's changed a lot. Sad to hear. I remember Sutter's, 1890's, Family Dog well.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,560

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
    Was this the place that was in an old gas station? I think it was about 1/2 mile or so out of town.
    Don't remember it being an old gas station. Was at the end of the by-pass right where you would pick up College St. It was probably a half mile from downtown.

  4. #19
    jvdfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    By the Lake
    Posts
    9,083

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
    Loved Ma Kelly's. Bannana Pudding was still the best I've ever had. Couldn't be the price, the quantity or the quality.

    I haven't been back to Richmond downtown since 1985. Sounds like it's changed a lot. Sad to hear. I remember Sutter's, 1890's, Family Dog well.
    No doubt. And don't forget T-Boms.

  5. #20
    jvdfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    By the Lake
    Posts
    9,083

    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsr1 View Post
    Ma Kelly's has a facebook page. It's interesting to read a lot of memories from people over the years. When my wife (whom I was dating at the time) and I would go eat at Mas, we got charged even less if she was paying. She was a great lady that had a huge heart for the college kids...........how about some banana pudding?

  6. #21
    Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Posts
    551

    I think we're talking about the same place. I was down there sometime in the 90's and I tried to find it, but couldn't remember the name or exact location. When I described it, noone seemed to know where it was. It must have closed in the late 70's or early 80's. Awesome place to eat good food cheap!
    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    Don't remember it being an old gas station. Was at the end of the by-pass right where you would pick up College St. It was probably a half mile from downtown.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Oct 10
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,154

    I never had the chance to eat there, but my grandparents would talk about eating there back when I was younger. I had some relatives that lived in Richmond and Berea and when they would go to visit, they would eat there.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    tradin paint
    Posts
    3,056

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
    Loved Ma Kelly's. Bannana Pudding was still the best I've ever had. Couldn't be the price, the quantity or the quality.

    I haven't been back to Richmond downtown since 1985. Sounds like it's changed a lot. Sad to hear. I remember Sutter's, 1890's, Family Dog well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jvdfc View Post
    No doubt. And don't forget T-Boms.
    Them were the days. My friends & I would start out at Poop's drinking Little Kings for a quarter.

  9. #24
    cooperstown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Top Secret.
    Posts
    6,748

    A couple of pics of Ma Kelly's I found on the internet.

    Name:  Ma Kelly's Then.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  43.0 KB
    Ma Kelly's "Then"

    Name:  Ma Kelly's Now.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  48.5 KB
    Ma Kelly's "Now"

  10. #25

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,560

    That is sad.

  11. #26
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    51,330

    That place was awesome...took my wife there on one our early dates. Always took a marker to leave my mark!!

  12. #27
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,810

    Quote Originally Posted by cooperstown View Post
    A couple of pics of Ma Kelly's I found on the internet.

    Name:  Ma Kelly's Then.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  43.0 KB
    Ma Kelly's "Then"

    Name:  Ma Kelly's Now.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  48.5 KB
    Ma Kelly's "Now"
    Brings back a lot of memories.

  13. #28
    Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    2019 Staying Alive winner and King of the Carpet Champion!
    Posts
    7,536

    I can remember eating at Ma's back in college, just like moms home cooking, away from home.

Top