Dog owners please read

Page 4 of I need to vent. I'm a walker. I've lost over 100 lbs. with walking as my main exercise. Now that the weather has broken I've been able to get off the t... 56 comments | 2164 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    hoops5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 10
    Posts
    16,636

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    About eight or nine years ago, a neighbor, who had 4 or five dogs of different breeds, had a Chow get out and knock a guy off his bike as he rode by, then it mauled him. The rider suffered bite wounds and a broken elbow. He sued and won. I don't know what the settlement was, but the neighbor got rid of his dogs. He has never owned any since.
    Sorry--no sympathy for the guy who got sued!
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    hoops5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 10
    Posts
    16,636

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride View Post
    I will say that I am guilty of my dog approaching those that walk past our house. That being said, he is 100% very, very nice...and doesn't even bark at the strangers, he's super affectionate and just wants them to pet him. We often times let him out into the woods behind our house to play. But, there have been times that the kids have left him out unsupervised. My wife and I have resolved ourselves to the fact that if we get yelled at by a neighbor, because of our unleashed dog, then we are ok with it.

    All Tell, knowing you the way I do, I commend your reserve in handling this situation.
    What if it is more than just neighbors yelling, and animal control is called?

    I HATE that people think it is ok to let their dogs roam the neighborhood. If they come into my yard and approach my children, the dog will probably go missing for a very long time. I don't care how harmless the little pooch is!

  3. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,510

    ^ Look, I understand....but I also live in a very intimate neighborhood, we all know each other. If animal control is called, I guess I would get fined, and I'll have to live with that. That being said, my dog has zero aggression and he's amazing with people, specifically children. I condone any aggressive behavior towards a strange dog that may approach a person, but I also feel that an intelligent person can ascertain whether or not there is any danger imminent.

  4. #49
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,917

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    About eight or nine years ago, a neighbor, who had 4 or five dogs of different breeds, had a Chow get out and knock a guy off his bike as he rode by, then it mauled him. The rider suffered bite wounds and a broken elbow. He sued and won. I don't know what the settlement was, but the neighbor got rid of his dogs. He has never owned any since.
    Any day now I know I am going to get taken down by a dog while on my bike. It is amazing how many people let their animals loose to run on busy roads and sit back and laugh as you go by their house.

  5. #50
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,917

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride View Post
    ^ Look, I understand....but I also live in a very intimate neighborhood, we all know each other. If animal control is called, I guess I would get fined, and I'll have to live with that. That being said, my dog has zero aggression and he's amazing with people, specifically children. I condone any aggressive behavior towards a strange dog that may approach a person, but I also feel that an intelligent person can ascertain whether or not there is any danger imminent.
    Not all of us are Cesar Millan. A lot of people are naturally scared of loose animals whether they pose a threat or not. Dogs can sense people's feelings and react differently. While I would love to agree with your disposition that "an intelligent person can ascertain whether or not there is any danger imminent", I just cannot buy in to that.

  6. #51
    hoops5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 10
    Posts
    16,636

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    Not all of us are Cesar Millan. A lot of people are naturally scared of loose animals whether they pose a threat or not. Dogs can sense people's feelings and react differently. While I would love to agree with your disposition that "an intelligent person can ascertain whether or not there is any danger imminent", I just cannot buy in to that.
    Thank you, Bugatti. Great post. I once was intelligent (Electrical Engineering degree and an MBA). But now I am a parent, so a whole new set of skills takes over. If I see a strange dog staring down my 3-yr-old while he is playing in his sandbox, ....well let's just say that I know where my teenager keeps his air soft gun and I am not afraid to use it!

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,510

    ^ I am fine with that.....of course your kid would pursue my dog, before my dog pursued your kid. He's a softie, he's old.....he loves people and attention. If the fact that I let him roam the woods behind my house, makes me a bad person, I can live with that.

  8. #53
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,720

    A friend of mine's husband was seriously injured last year while riding his bike (with his helmet on) when a dog ran out in front/beside him. She suffered brain trauma, was in the hospital and then a rehab facility for about a month. He then did outpatient therapy for a couple of months and only about three months after the accident did he start going back to work at all. It was a very trying time for the whole family and it could have been prevented had the dog been contained.

  9. #54
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,917

    Quote Originally Posted by True blue (and gold) View Post
    A friend of mine's husband was seriously injured last year while riding his bike (with his helmet on) when a dog ran out in front/beside him. She suffered brain trauma, was in the hospital and then a rehab facility for about a month. He then did outpatient therapy for a couple of months and only about three months after the accident did he start going back to work at all. It was a very trying time for the whole family and it could have been prevented had the dog been contained.
    A friend of mine wiped out hitting a dog about a month ago. He was hurt but recovered ok. The thing is it is the same exact dogs every single time that come running after you. The owners know it but do not care about the victims or their own pets. I have had several close calls but it is bound to happen one of these days.

  10. #55
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,191

    As (I mean to be) a responsible dog owner, I think those that do not control their dogs and understand that everyone does not have the same comfort level with animals, make it difficult for those that do.

    Having said that, there are some unreasonable people around. I went to an outdoor concert last Friday. Many people walk their dogs in this park, and many people bring their dogs to the concerts and many bring their kids. As soon as I walked in, some lady started yelling at me about bringing my dogs just as we were walking by. I wouldn't have brought them 1) off leash and 2) if they were not well-controlled/behaved. They laid on the ground next to me the whole time I was there. Several times, small children ran up to them unsupervised, but I would not have brought the dogs if I thought they couldn't handle it (and actually they love kids). But what it tells me that there are people also that have no respect for pets or their owners and or pretty rude to add to that. I hope these are not the people influencing legislative behavior.

  11. #56

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,094

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    As (I mean to be) a responsible dog owner, I think those that do not control their dogs and understand that everyone does not have the same comfort level with animals, make it difficult for those that do.

    Having said that, there are some unreasonable people around. I went to an outdoor concert last Friday. Many people walk their dogs in this park, and many people bring their dogs to the concerts and many bring their kids. As soon as I walked in, some lady started yelling at me about bringing my dogs just as we were walking by. I wouldn't have brought them 1) off leash and 2) if they were not well-controlled/behaved. They laid on the ground next to me the whole time I was there. Several times, small children ran up to them unsupervised, but I would not have brought the dogs if I thought they couldn't handle it (and actually they love kids). But what it tells me that there are people also that have no respect for pets or their owners and or pretty rude to add to that. I hope these are not the people influencing legislative behavior.
    I'm so with you on this post! My dog is the other end of the spectrum...he's iffy with people and other dogs. He's well behaved until he feels threatened. Unfortunately, running people/kids, unleashed dogs and dogs allowed to approach without restraint by their owners are all "threats" to him. As a result, I do not take him places where there will be crowds, and especially kids. He actually loves kids, but he has to be the one to decide he wants their attention. Unfortunately, too many parents don't teach their kids not to run up to strange dogs, or try to pet strange dogs. And then I invariably get the nasty looks and comments when my dog starts barking aggressively at their children. It makes me really angry, because until said kids came running up to him, Lucky would have been walking along with no problem, restrained and quiet. But because the parents didn't teach their kids about dogs, I get the blame for my dog's reaction.

  12. #57
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,191

    One of my dogs, who I didn't take, is exactly like your dog. I am glad I didn't take her because, like you, I would have been blamed for other people's lack of parental control.

Top