Winter Weather Threat Mode for (1/12-13/2018)

Page 2 of I'm going to go ahead and go into a Winter Weather Threat Mode for Friday and Saturday. All indications are that a major winter storm could hit the Ohi... 136 comments | 4980 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    I gotta go to work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    2,028

    Lets get the triple header HS basketball games finished at NKU Friday night then the snow can be unleashed.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    "First, last and always, I am a teacher." - Jesse Stuart
    Posts
    28,197

    Quote Originally Posted by NamecipS View Post
    Channel 19 at 6pm last night showed one model that said possibly 20 inches
    Wow. Scare tactics!

  3. #18
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    51,586

    Quote Originally Posted by NamecipS View Post
    Channel 19 at 6pm last night showed one model that said possibly 20 inches
    That's just irresponsible forecasting. Hate it.

  4. #19
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    3,794

    So maybe reconsider a trip to Cleveland this weekend?

  5. #20
    NamecipS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    15,446

    Quote Originally Posted by True blue (and gold) View Post
    Wow. Scare tactics!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    That's just irresponsible forecasting. Hate it.
    They put the disclaimer out there. All depends on when the temperature changes. If it changes early more snow, later then less snow. I think it was more of a lesson on how they predict snowfall totals

  6. #21
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    51,586

    Quote Originally Posted by NamecipS View Post
    They put the disclaimer out there. All depends on when the temperature changes. If it changes early more snow, later then less snow. I think it was more of a lesson on how they predict snowfall totals
    Even mentioning 20" as far as three days out is reckless and irresponsible IMO. They'll look really silly if it turns out to be 1-2", and then people will say "Didn't they predict 20"?"

  7. #22
    NamecipS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    15,446

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Even mentioning 20" as far as three days out is reckless and irresponsible IMO. They'll look really silly if it turns out to be 1-2", and then people will say "Didn't they predict 20"?"
    I hope we get double digits. It’s been a while

  8. #23
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    20,934

    From the models nWo posted it appears eastern Kentucky might get spared the worst of the storm.
    Most models are trending the heaviest parts of the storm through the Ohio River flow area onward through central Ohio. The Bluegrass region is impacted too.

  9. #24
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,135

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    That's just irresponsible forecasting. Hate it.
    I agree and it is done a lot by forecasters.

  10. #25
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,188

    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    The way it was explained to me by an old friend is, during times like this, when the weather is so warm.

    They have a pretty good idea of how much total precipitation we will have, but it's really hard to predict the temperature drop when rain will turn to snow.

    Where I grew up, up north, the rain to snow conversion was 1" of rain equals 10" of snow. Down here I think it's more like 1" to 7".

    So if they are figuring a 3" rain equivalent. Depending on what point that turns to snow you might get 2 1/2" of rain and 3" of snow, or you could get 21" of snow.

    @nWo will have to help us to say if that explanation is on track, but that's what I've been told in the past.
    The main reason I don't really use the 10:1 ratio because the air temperature affects the ratio. The colder the air less snow. I mainly use the Kuchera ratio. Which use the method by Evan Kuchera witch instantaneous snowfall ratio.

  11. #26
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,145

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I hate winter, but if it’s gonna snow, bring the noise.
    Yep, lets get one good one and be done with it.

  12. #27
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,188

    All of the models on the 12z run have come into good agreement about the snow accumulations. There's still a little difference about the how much ice some will get. One thing of note though those in WKY need to be prepared as soon as possible for power outages. I'm going to wait and see the next model runs. If the trend continues I will give my first call for snow and ice accumulations later today.

    As I said earlier don't take the early model runs for predictions. The NAM came into good agreement with the GFS and Canadain models on 12z run.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Birds Nest
    Posts
    1,601

    Quote Originally Posted by nWo View Post
    All of the models on the 12z run have come into good agreement about the snow accumulations. There's still a little difference about the how much ice some will get. One thing of note though those in WKY need to be prepared as soon as possible for power outages. I'm going to wait and see the next model runs. If the trend continues I will give my first call for snow and ice accumulations later today.

    As I said earlier don't take the early model runs for predictions. The NAM came into good agreement with the GFS and Canadain models on 12z run.

    Anddddddddd what are they agreeing on?

  14. #29
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,188

    Quote Originally Posted by StrongSide View Post
    Anddddddddd what are they agreeing on?
    The same thing but not on one other thing. I'm not going to post any totals until I get to see another run or two.

  15. #30
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,088

    This is what Weather.com currently says for NKY:

    Friday, Rain...mixing with snow in the afternoon. Some sleet or freezing rain possible. Morning high of 41F with temps falling to near freezing. Winds N at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 100%. 1 to 3 inches of snow expected.

    Friday Night, Snowy and windy conditions in the evening. Snow will taper off to a few snow showers overnight. Low near 15F. Winds N at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 90%. 1 to 3 inches of snow expected.

Top