Next chances for snow

  1. #1
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,528

    Next chances for snow

    There appear to be two more shots at some snow this month. The next one will be the weekend of the 19th and 20th. It looks to start off as rain then switch over to snow before it ends.

    Name:  19-20.gif
Views: 427
Size:  462.7 KB

    The next show looks to be the 24th through the 26th. This one looks to be all snow.

    Name:  24-26.gif
Views: 415
Size:  435.9 KB

    So it looks like we are finally entering into winter.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,528

    Looks like our next chance for accumulating snow will be during the period of Saturday 1/19 through Sunday evening 1/20.

    Here is the GFS simulated radar.

    Name:  snow.gif
Views: 387
Size:  463.1 KB

    This is the simulated temperature map. That's correct it is showing temperatures in the single digits and teens by Sunday evening.

    Name:  temp.gif
Views: 407
Size:  468.4 KB

    I will be watching it closely as we get closer and post updates when the information warrants it. This may be our first "Brass Monkey Alert" of this winter season.

  3. #3
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,528

    Here's the update for this coming weekend. Timing is going to be everything for any accumulation of snow. We are still a little less than a week away so there will be some fluctuations in the data until we get closer.

    First for the precipitation. It looks to start as rain late Friday night or early Saturday morning. The rain could be heavy at times. As the cold air tries to move in during Saturday the rain should turn over to all snow by Saturday evening. Too early to say how much snow accumulations we will get.

    Name:  32-nodither.gif
Views: 341
Size:  460.3 KB

    Name:  128-nodither.gif
Views: 339
Size:  464.1 KB

  4. #4
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,751

    Looks minimal for far WKY.

  5. #5
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,528

    Everything will hinge on how fast the cold air moves in. Parts of Kentucky could see as much as a 40-degree drop in temperatures from Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. Temps could range from 10 to low teens by Monday morning. Wind chills could be as much as 10 degrees below zero Monday morning.

  6. #6
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,751

    Quote Originally Posted by nWo View Post
    Everything will hinge on how fast the cold air moves in. Parts of Kentucky could see as much as a 40-degree drop in temperatures from Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. Temps could range from 10 to low teens by Monday morning. Wind chills could be as much as 10 degrees below zero Monday morning.
    And the following week's temperatures look more winter like than we've had so far.

  7. #7
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    148,578

    Quote Originally Posted by nWo View Post
    Everything will hinge on how fast the cold air moves in. Parts of Kentucky could see as much as a 40-degree drop in temperatures from Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. Temps could range from 10 to low teens by Monday morning. Wind chills could be as much as 10 degrees below zero Monday morning.
    Ouch!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,660

    My sources are saying this looks like mostly a rain event this weekend. Problem is, im supposed to be traveling to Indy to visit with an old friend on Saturday and to attend a college wrestling tournament my son is in on Sunday, and the current forecast is calling for a foot of snow there.

  9. #9
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,528

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Ouch!
    And the coldest temperatures look to be in the Cincinnati/NKY area.

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    My sources are saying this looks like mostly a rain event this weekend. Problem is, im supposed to be traveling to Indy to visit with an old friend on Saturday and to attend a college wrestling tournament my son is in on Sunday, and the current forecast is calling for a foot of snow there.
    Too early to tell. The models are all over the place right now. The GFS is showing little snow while the Canadian model is showing Kentucky receiving a big hit. Saturday looks to be mostly rain and switch over to snow Saturday into the day on Sunday.

  10. #10
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,426

    Regardless of snow vs. rain, it will time to break out the Brass Monkey at the start of next week!

  11. #11
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,269

    If it's going to be that cold we might as well get some snow out of it.

  12. #12
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,528

    Just a quick update. The GFS is still showing mainly a rain event for Saturday but switching to freezing rain and snow during the nighttime hours into Sunday. The Canadian is also showing rain during the day on Saturday but is showing a much quicker switch from rain to snow. It is not showing much in freezing rain accumulations but is still showing Kentucky getting some heavy snow accumulations. We'll still have to wait a day or two before we can start getting some definite information for what will happen this weekend.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,897

    Quote Originally Posted by nWo View Post
    Just a quick update. The GFS is still showing mainly a rain event for Saturday but switching to freezing rain and snow during the nighttime hours into Sunday. The Canadian is also showing rain during the day on Saturday but is showing a much quicker switch from rain to snow. It is not showing much in freezing rain accumulations but is still showing Kentucky getting some heavy snow accumulations. We'll still have to wait a day or two before we can start getting some definite information for what will happen this weekend.
    Sounds like a good weekend to binge the new season of The Punisher on Netflix.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    3,144

    What about Thursday? Cincinnati weathermen are calling for precipitation on Thursday.

  15. #15
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,528

    Quote Originally Posted by PP1 View Post
    What about Thursday? Cincinnati weathermen are calling for precipitation on Thursday.
    It won't amount to much. Maybe a dusting to around 1/2 inch.

Top