What guns do you hunt with?

Page 2 of For deer, I use either a Marlin 336A (30-30 Win) with open sights, or a Remington 700 (.308) with Leupold Mk4 optics. The Marlin gets the most use. My ... 78 comments | 13404 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    In a tree with a crossbow
    Posts
    255

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    For Deer I use only 2 guns. Tikka 300WSM or Rem. 700 in 30.06 stainless fluted.
    I have 2 turkey guns that I use. 12 ga. Rem. 11-87 SuperMag and 12 ga. Rem. 870 supermag with thumbhole stock.
    For varmints, I use .22-250 Rem 700.
    T/C Encore .50 Cal muzzleloader is probably my most consistent shooter. Even out to 200yds. time after time after time.
    For upland game I have several, I have 28 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. all in Rem. 1100.

    Oh, I have several more, but those are just in case all of those fail me. Haha.
    Nice firearms! How is the recoil from you 300WSM?
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by 7thcorpsFA View Post
    Nice firearms! How is the recoil from you 300WSM?
    Brutal. The Tikka weighs only 6lbs. However, I shoot it on a lead sled and then only at deer after that. There's no doubt you shot it once you've pulled the trigger.

  3. #18
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    35,790

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Brutal. The Tikka weighs only 6lbs. However, I shoot it on a lead sled and then only at deer after that. There's no doubt you shot it once you've pulled the trigger.
    You aren't kidding. I sighted in a Remington 700 for a buddy of mine in October. It was in .300 Win Mag, which I would assume is pretty similar to the .300 WSM. My shoulder wasn't very happy with me for a couple of days.

    I told him next year, he needed to get a lead sled or he could sight it in himself.

  4. #19
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    You aren't kidding. I sighted in a Remington 700 for a buddy of mine in October. It was in .300 Win Mag, which I would assume is pretty similar to the .300 WSM. My shoulder wasn't very happy with me for a couple of days.

    I told him next year, he needed to get a lead sled or he could sight it in himself.
    I feel your pain. The bad thing about that gun of mine is it was very picky with what it would shoot. I don't reload anymore, so I spent a blooming fortune finding ammo the gun liked. Finally after several hundred dollars, it finally decided to shoot Federal trophy bonded 180gr. Thankfully I usually only have to run a round or 2 through it prior to the season to check. I treat it like a baby, because if I bump the Leupold off on that one, it's a pain to get it back in the center of the paper.

    And for that matter, I only have one scope (on my .22-250) that's not a leupold. Once I started putting them on top of my weapons, I haven't used anything else. I actually sold a .270 to a friend with a HS Precision custom stock, trigger job and the whole nine, but I kept the Leupold. Now that Leupold is looking for a new rifle to sit on. So, let the shopping begin.

  5. #20
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    35,790

    Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest fan View Post
    I have a Remington 700 in .270 for deer.
    Benelli 12 ga. Nova for squirrell or turkey.
    Ruger 10/22 I ocassionally use for squirrell.
    If I decided to hunt varmints, I'd use one of my AR15's in .223 with a 10X scope.
    How do you like your Benelli? I'm couldn't be happier with my old Sears shotgun for turkey hunting, but one of my hunting buddies has a Benelli pump that seems to rattle a lot. We all know what to expect when we pull the trigger, but his seems to be "noisy" otherwise. Just kinda wondering if it's his gun, or if Benelli's seem to be that way in general.

  6. #21
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    How do you like your Benelli? I'm couldn't be happier with my old Sears shotgun for turkey hunting, but one of my hunting buddies has a Benelli pump that seems to rattle a lot. We all know what to expect when we pull the trigger, but his seems to be "noisy" otherwise. Just kinda wondering if it's his gun, or if Benelli's seem to be that way in general.
    Bought a 20ga. Benelli Nova for my son to hunt turkey hunt with. It rattles too. We keep it in the safe and he hunts with a youth model 870 Rem. 20ga.

  7. #22
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,157

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    How do you like your Benelli? I'm couldn't be happier with my old Sears shotgun for turkey hunting, but one of my hunting buddies has a Benelli pump that seems to rattle a lot. We all know what to expect when we pull the trigger, but his seems to be "noisy" otherwise. Just kinda wondering if it's his gun, or if Benelli's seem to be that way in general.
    I haven't heard too many good things about the Nova. I thought about buying one a few years ago but read too many bad reviews about it on line so decided to pass.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    In a tree with a crossbow
    Posts
    255

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    You aren't kidding. I sighted in a Remington 700 for a buddy of mine in October. It was in .300 Win Mag, which I would assume is pretty similar to the .300 WSM. My shoulder wasn't very happy with me for a couple of days.

    I told him next year, he needed to get a lead sled or he could sight it in himself.
    Years ago a friend of mine bought a 300 Win. mag.. after 3 to 4 shots I had enough. He talked his fashion model quaility girlfriend into shooting it. She got a half moon shaped cut and scar just above her eye. This was why I settled for the 270 cal.,I can shoot it all day.

  9. #24
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by 7thcorpsFA View Post
    Years ago a friend of mine bought a 300 Win. mag.. after 3 to 4 shots I had enough. He talked his fashion model quaility girlfriend into shooting it. She got a half moon shaped cut and scar just above her eye. This was why I settled for the 270 cal.,I can shoot it all day.
    Yep, fashion models ain't that bright.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    1,720

    Has anyone shot a 25-06. I was getting ready to buy one...I am also looking for a left handed rifle. Does anyone know how the Savage 111 is? Thanks

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    In a tree with a crossbow
    Posts
    255

    Quote Originally Posted by okie1 View Post
    Has anyone shot a 25-06. I was getting ready to buy one...I am also looking for a left handed rifle. Does anyone know how the Savage 111 is? Thanks
    I shoot left handed and have owned 4 lefty bolt actions,One was the Savage. I was told it was the best and most accurate rifle for the money and the price was cheap. Bought one for myself because at the time only Savage and Ruger offered lefties. Bought one for my son for his first deer rifle. Accuracy was poor. Overall quaility was second rate.Quickly sold both. Bought a Ruger 77,it had the worst trigger I have ever used and I couldn't sell it fast enough. I will never buy a Ruger product again. New Remington rifles also have gone to garbage 8 to 12 lb triggers. These triggers make accurate shooting impossible. Browning makes the best left handed bolt actions on the market. After shooting mine both of my hunting buddies bought one. The accuracy is supreme on all 3 rifles.IMO spend the extra money and be happy. The price isn't much more than the Rem. or Ruger for a much higher quality rifle.

  12. #27
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    35,790

    Quote Originally Posted by 7thcorpsFA View Post
    I shoot left handed and have owned 4 lefty bolt actions,One was the Savage. I was told it was the best and most accurate rifle for the money and the price was cheap. Bought one for myself because at the time only Savage and Ruger offered lefties. Bought one for my son for his first deer rifle. Accuracy was poor. Overall quaility was second rate.Quickly sold both. Bought a Ruger 77,it had the worst trigger I have ever used and I couldn't sell it fast enough. I will never buy a Ruger product again. New Remington rifles also have gone to garbage 8 to 12 lb triggers. These triggers make accurate shooting impossible. Browning makes the best left handed bolt actions on the market. After shooting mine both of my hunting buddies bought one. The accuracy is supreme on all 3 rifles.IMO spend the extra money and be happy. The price isn't much more than the Rem. or Ruger for a much higher quality rifle.
    Wow...that's ridiculous.

    Is this something that a gunsmith is able to work down (without having him completely rebuild the whole thing)? I know my 700 was built in the mid-80's, and it has a trigger pull in the 4 lb range, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

  13. #28
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by okie1 View Post
    Has anyone shot a 25-06. I was getting ready to buy one...I am also looking for a left handed rifle. Does anyone know how the Savage 111 is? Thanks
    I bought a .25-06 barrel for my encore. It stunk. I sold it. However, I have a friend who has a Cooper in that caliber and it is a tack driver.

  14. #29
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,157

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    I bought a .25-06 barrel for my encore. It stunk. I sold it. However, I have a friend who has a Cooper in that caliber and it is a tack driver.
    I'm guessing that has alot more to do with the rifle then the caliber. Cooper's are very nice but they better be for the what they cost.

  15. #30
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    I'm guessing that has alot more to do with the rifle then the caliber. Cooper's are very nice but they better be for the what they cost.
    No doubt.

Top