Elk Drawing 2018

Page 4 of So the elk drawing will open for entry in a couple of weeks. Who's giving it a go in 2018? I've always said I would never do it in KY as long as they a... 54 comments | 12488 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,353

    Quote Originally Posted by Watusi View Post
    Here is a good article, with a complete list of those drawn.

    There were over 79,000 applications from 35,000 individuals.

    Winners of exclusive Kentucky elk hunting permits announced
    Thanks for posting. Saw a few buddies who were picked.
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    35,790

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    Happy for the 7 locals. But not happy more not drawn when there are so many from out of state.
    ...10% out of state, like always.

  3. #48
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,353

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    ...10% out of state, like always.
    They list the hunt as exclusive since it is limited. Do they gain that much extra revenue from out of state folks to justify it?

  4. #49
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    35,790

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    They list the hunt as exclusive since it is limited. Do they gain that much extra revenue from out of state folks to justify it?
    Well, per the KDFWR officer is in charge of the elk restoration program when he was speaking at the official elk hunt meet and greet at Jenny Wiley State Park a few years ago, the out of state entry fees and licenses virtually fund the entire elk restoration project.

    The biggest reason for allowing out-of-state Hunters to enter, though, is the fact that the elk restoration project got the entirety of its start-up funding by a $1 Million donation from the US Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation out of Montana. So what we have in Kentucky is an elk program whose herd was paid for by an out-of-state donation, and whose funding comes almost wholly from out-of-state hunt entrants.

  5. #50
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,353

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Well, per the KDFWR officer is in charge of the elk restoration program when he was speaking at the official elk hunt meet and greet at Jenny Wiley State Park a few years ago, the out of state entry fees and licenses virtually fund the entire elk restoration project.

    The biggest reason for allowing out-of-state Hunters to enter, though, is the fact that the elk restoration project got the entirety of its start-up funding by a $1 Million donation from the US Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation out of Montana. So what we have in Kentucky is an elk program whose herd was paid for by an out-of-state donation, and whose funding comes almost wholly from out-of-state hunt entrants.
    Works for me!

  6. #51
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,157

    Looks like Henderson had 1 archery bull, 1 cow firearm, and 1 bull firearm.

  7. #52
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,157

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Well, per the KDFWR officer is in charge of the elk restoration program when he was speaking at the official elk hunt meet and greet at Jenny Wiley State Park a few years ago, the out of state entry fees and licenses virtually fund the entire elk restoration project.

    The biggest reason for allowing out-of-state Hunters to enter, though, is the fact that the elk restoration project got the entirety of its start-up funding by a $1 Million donation from the US Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation out of Montana. So what we have in Kentucky is an elk program whose herd was paid for by an out-of-state donation, and whose funding comes almost wholly from out-of-state hunt entrants.
    The KDFWR website said in the past about 35% of total applications are non residents. If you apply that to this year of 79,000 total entries at $10 each it's over $276,000 for non resident entries. 10% of tags go to non residents. With 700 tags drawn that's 70 non resident. At $140 for lic that's another $9800. If you just assume the 10% were split between bullls and cows...at $550 for bull tag and $400 for cow tag it comes to $33,250. So over $320,000 from non residents.

  8. #53
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    Thanks for posting. Saw a few buddies who were picked.
    Who did they bribe? #rigged

    I saw names that appear to be a husband/wife or maybe father/daughter. That would be kind of cool and competitive. I could be totally wrong but when they have an odd last name and from the same city, I just assumed.

  9. #54
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    35,790

    Here's a video segment from Kentucky Afield on a land management program being orchestrated and managed by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation here in Kentucky for the sake of our elk program. Again...money coming from outside the state of Kentucky to help cut costs in Kentucky. One of the various reasons for the drawing remaining open to non-residents.


  10. #55
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    35,790

    Here's another video from last year's drawing period that does a good job explaining what goes on as far as orchestrating the drawing, and how the tag system works - including the landowner tag system and the commissioner tag system.


Top