Cougars confirmed in Tennessee

Page 2 of TWRA confirms cougars in Tennessee @spindoc are you ready?... 36 comments | 1555 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Cougars vs. Coyotes should be fun.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    14,380

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Cougars vs. Coyotes should be fun.
    I've got $20 on the Cougars!

  3. #18
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    I've got $20 on the Cougars!
    Depends on how many friends Wile E has.

  4. #19
    formerkywrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,266

    Quote Originally Posted by lawildcat View Post
    24 deaths related to cougars in North America since 1890 according to Wikipedia; 15 of those in the U.S.

    I think we're safe.
    I dunno. Spindoc has been taunting them for far too long.

  5. #20
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    14,380

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Depends on how many friends Wile E has.
    Or if he orders anything from Acme

  6. #21
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by formerkywrestler View Post
    I dunno. Spindoc has been taunting them for far too long.
    You know, I'll be the guy who climbs up in my ladder stand to find one snoozing in it. Bound to happen.

  7. #22
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,432

    Cougar hunting used to be a fun activity back in the day.

  8. #23
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,023

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    Bee stings are the largest killer of humans in the U.S. directly caused by animals. An allergic reaction to the venom in bee's kills 53 people per year.

    I would be a lot more worried about African Killer Bees populating Kentucky than Mountain Lions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    Mosquitos kill more people by a mile in the world than any animal. They aren't around, are they?
    Do you really think either are a fair comparison? What is the rate of deaths per encounter for mountain lions versus either a mosquito or bee?

  9. #24
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,212

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Do you really think either are a fair comparison? What is the rate of deaths per encounter for mountain lions versus either a mosquito or bee?
    The likelihood of any of them is remote that was my point

  10. #25
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    6,612

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Do you really think either are a fair comparison? What is the rate of deaths per encounter for mountain lions versus either a mosquito or bee?
    It's as fair as anything. Should we eradicate anything that scares us...what gives us that right?

  11. #26
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    6,612

  12. #27
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,023

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    It's as fair as anything. Should we eradicate anything that scares us...what gives us that right?
    Who said anything about eradicating mountain lions? I think you have to be careful about where and how you allow them to populate. You can't let someone's escaped pet lion just take up residence in say Jefferson County but that doesn't mean anyone is advocating making them extinct.

  13. #28
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    6,612

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Who said anything about eradicating mountain lions? I think you have to be careful about where and how you allow them to populate. You can't let someone's escaped pet lion just take up residence in say Jefferson County but that doesn't mean anyone is advocating making them extinct.
    I am not implying that you believe they should be eradicated, but there are many people and attitudes that lead to that. The counter is we need to protect the space and protect their rights to be in that space or eradication WILL happen. And, I believe I am fair in saying that there are many people and attitudes that believe many large species should only exist in nature preserves (which are relatively few and far between) and zoos (which are not a great option for a wild animal). Hundreds of species have gone extinct in our last 100 years as human population growth, deforestation, and development eliminate habitat and food source.

  14. #29
    dd734's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    West L.A. - West Lower Alexandria
    Posts
    2,221

    He we go. My brother in law, visiting from Alabama, believes he saw a mountain lion yesterday just outside the Alexandria city limits. He was very adamant about it. He said he had seen mountain lions several times, as they had a couple in the area where he lived in New Mexico.
    Makes me wonder, he's not the kind of guy to just make up things. So I have to believe he saw something.

  15. #30
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,593

    Quote Originally Posted by dd734 View Post
    He we go. My brother in law, visiting from Alabama, believes he saw a mountain lion yesterday just outside the Alexandria city limits. He was very adamant about it. He said he had seen mountain lions several times, as they had a couple in the area where he lived in New Mexico.
    Makes me wonder, he's not the kind of guy to just make up things. So I have to believe he saw something.
    If i see a mountain lion out in the Campbell county and i'm outside and not in a vehicle...I think I'd poop my drawers!

Top