Camping Recommendations

  1. #1
    afi100guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    5 Guys, not just a restaurant name anymore!!
    Posts
    2,619

    Camping Recommendations

    As of last fall, we are officially campers (in the RV trailer sense of the word, no tents for us). We are looking forward to getting outdoors with the boys this summer. Looking for recommendations for campgrounds to go to, avoid, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    I'm on top of the world.
    Posts
    37,278

    What kind of travel radius are you thinking about AFI?

  3. #3
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    14,405

    Never understood packing up a camper full of stuff, driving to a place and park next to 300 other folks with the same idea.
    My buddies love the horse park and most state parks.

  4. #4
    afi100guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    5 Guys, not just a restaurant name anymore!!
    Posts
    2,619

    Quote Originally Posted by Watusi View Post
    What kind of travel radius are you thinking about AFI?
    I would say within 3 hours of NKY.

  5. #5
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    I also love the horse park. If you like pond fishing, there are a couple around that place if you're in the mood. We used to camp there all the time. Even back in the day when we went head to head in AAU in LexVegas

    I miss those days.

  6. #6
    afi100guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    5 Guys, not just a restaurant name anymore!!
    Posts
    2,619

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    I also love the horse park. If you like pond fishing, there are a couple around that place if you're in the mood. We used to camp there all the time. Even back in the day when we went head to head in AAU in LexVegas

    I miss those days.
    This is going to be my first year without AAU in 10 years. Crazy. Part of the reason to buy the camper.

  7. #7
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,073

    we have camped (hotel on wheels) for about 8 or 9 years now. Some of our favorites locally (within about 5 hours and mostly less than 3)
    Clifty Falls in Madison IN
    Versailles State Park in IN
    Kentucky Horse Park
    Mammoth Cave
    East Harbor State Park in OH
    Hocking Hills
    East Fork State Park in OH
    Caesar Creek
    Winton Woods

    We are heading to Cumberland Falls State Park or Holly Bay for spring break. If we do Holly Bay, we'll take a day trip to the Falls. We usually camp with about 5 or 6 other RV's and have a great time.

  8. #8
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    14,405

    Quote Originally Posted by afi100guy View Post
    This is going to be my first year without AAU in 10 years. Crazy. Part of the reason to buy the camper.
    You are doing this all backwards buddy. Had a neighbor whose son played travel soccer. He took his camper and that's where he stayed. Saved him a ton of money.

  9. #9
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,177

    Buddy of mine runs this place...small but people seem to really enjoy it and he gets a lot of repeat customers. You think you are isolated, but only a few minutes from Lexington.

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Camp-...18317614853556

  10. #10
    afi100guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    5 Guys, not just a restaurant name anymore!!
    Posts
    2,619

    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    Buddy of mine runs this place...small but people seem to really enjoy it and he gets a lot of repeat customers. You think you are isolated, but only a few minutes from Lexington.

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Camp-...18317614853556
    Thanks. We will put it on our list.

  11. #11
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    I'm on top of the world.
    Posts
    37,278

    The horse park is great in your area.

    Twin Knobs campground at Cave Run Lake is really nice, but would be a trip for you to get to. That wouldn't be worth it for a weekend but if you are staying a week, maybe.

    My family always enjoyed Carter Caves also, but again, long trip. Lots for the kids to do though between cave tours, horseback riding, mini golf, swimming, etc.

    There is a nice campground in Georgetown that is fairly new called Whispering Hills. They will let you leave your camper on the campsite for $1 per day and then only pay for days you stay there when you return. It is a good deal if you want to go a couple times a month and not have to haul the camper back home each time. It is well run and the people that own it are very nice.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,025

    Conley Bottom resort at Lake Cumberland. Been going there every summer since I was a kid.

  13. #13
    afi100guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    5 Guys, not just a restaurant name anymore!!
    Posts
    2,619

    Looking for a spring break campsite recommendation. Full hookup preferred. Thanks

  14. #14
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by afi100guy View Post
    Looking for a spring break campsite recommendation. Full hookup preferred. Thanks
    Hauled em to Disney one year. Their campground is just ok. Drive is long. But we had a blast.

  15. #15
    afi100guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    5 Guys, not just a restaurant name anymore!!
    Posts
    2,619

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Hauled em to Disney one year. Their campground is just ok. Drive is long. But we had a blast.
    We had that planned for Fall Break last year but Hurricane Matthew had different ideas.

Top