X-Files return

Page 2 of Originally Posted by The Professor Roswell has been worn out in these type of shows. This one started out with that supposedly alien crash. I've read a... 48 comments | 1629 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,175

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    I didn't really ever watch the show in its first run, but I enjoyed the first two nights.

    Are the originals on Hulu or anywhere?
    Netflix
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,897

    I got caught up on the first two episodes this weekend and am back on board. Solid start and looking forward to seeing where they take this.

    For those who are unfamiliar with the show, as Jim Schue recommended, netflix will bring you up to speed. First two and last two seasons ( 10 seasons total ) will get you where you need to be to appreciate what's going on now!

    Smoking Man just cannot quit...pun intended! He's got a Phantom of the Opera look going now.

  3. #18
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,928

    Quote Originally Posted by Content1 View Post
    I got caught up on the first two episodes this weekend and am back on board. Solid start and looking forward to seeing where they take this.

    For those who are unfamiliar with the show, as Jim Schue recommended, netflix will bring you up to speed. First two and last two seasons ( 10 seasons total ) will get you where you need to be to appreciate what's going on now!

    Smoking Man just cannot quit...pun intended! He's got a Phantom of the Opera look going now.
    If I had watched other seasons, would I know what's going on with this Smoking Man? I'm probably not going to go back and watch right now, so would love if someonewanted to fill me in.

  4. #19
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,897

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    If I had watched other seasons, would I know what's going on with this Smoking Man? I'm probably not going to go back and watch right now, so would love if someonewanted to fill me in.
    Let's just say the Smoking Man ( and his black op minions ) are the kryptonite to Mulder and Scullys super power attempts at revealing the "truth."

  5. #20
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,175

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    If I had watched other seasons, would I know what's going on with this Smoking Man? I'm probably not going to go back and watch right now, so would love if someonewanted to fill me in.
    He's the Grand Poobah behind every major conspiracy the US Govt. has ever perpetrated. In the series it is revealed that he clandestinely drugged the USSR goalie during a handshake before the Miracle On Ice. Also acted as Kennedy's shooter. Among others. His menace is felt very early on.

  6. #21
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,205

    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Roswell has been worn out in these type of shows. This one started out with that supposedly alien crash. I've read a couple of books in the past year about that incident. Both were written by authors who started out believing that aliens crashed near Roswell, but changed their beliefs after researching the episodes around that event. It soon become clear that what was discovered by locals was the remains of a high altitude balloons with electronic spying devices on board that had descended to the earth. Several balloons had been sent up in a top secret army operation called Mogul. It was 1947, in the beginnings of the Cold War era, and the US government were using the high altitude balloons and listening devices to attempt to hear Soviet atomic blast test. There was a government cover-up about the Roswell events but it had nothing to do with aliens and everything to do with a top secret government program. The cover-up occurred when the army tried to convince the public that the crash debris was a weather balloon.
    Knowing this information kind of takes the fun out of these kind of shows but I still watched it. The X Files is an entertaining show.
    I agree on Roswell. However, everyone should be careful not to dismiss the possibility of extraterrestrial life visiting Earth based on the conflicting information released by our Government about Roswell. Remember, first they said it was a flying saucer, then a weather balloon. Either way forget Roswell...

    There are many many many UFO sightings with very credible witnesses. Additionally, many of the sightings (like the Battle of Los Angles or the Phoenix Lights) were witnessed by 1000s of witnesses. We all need to look at the totality of the eye witness reports.

    From one MUFON Report between 2014 and 2015 (July to July I believe) there was a 35% increase in UFO sightings from around the world. In that one year, there were 20 sightings in KY alone.

    We all know the majority of them can be explained but even the experts admit a small percentage of the sightings are truly UFOs (meaning they are unidentified and not necessarily extraterrestrial but that is a possibility).

    It was Nick Pope that said it (Pope worked for the British Ministry of Defence investigating UFOs): "Even if you're sceptical - as I am - you should think of ufology in terms of low probability/high impact. And as we used to say on MoD's UFO project, the believers only have to be right once!"

    And if you want to watch a video, this is a top ten countdown of sightings by UnSealed Alien Files, it is pretty decent:


  7. #22
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,205

    I enjoyed the first two episodes of the X-Files.

    I guess we are going from Government cover-up of ET babies and Government Reverse Engineering Alien Tech to Wolfman on the loose! LOL

  8. #23
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,897

    Tonight was a crack up. Enjoyed the writers odd sense of humor and once again sharing another story of Mulder and or Scully witnessing ET life, yet never being able to prove it to others.

  9. #24
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,928

    Quote Originally Posted by Content1 View Post
    Tonight was a crack up. Enjoyed the writers odd sense of humor and once again sharing another story of Mulder and or Scully witnessing ET life, yet never being able to prove it to others.
    Last night's episode didn't do it for me at all compared to the first two.

  10. #25
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,897

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    Last night's episode didn't do it for me at all compared to the first two.
    I can see why it wouldn't. Had a Monty Python aspect to it and yes is out of character especially after episodes 1 and 2. I would have thought they would have used the appearance of Smoking Man at the end of episode 2 to ratchet up the suspense and adventuresome plot lines...

    Instead you got hit with last night... Correct me if I'm wrong but originally i heard this winter series would only be 6 shows. They have their work cut out for them with only three left if that is the case. Looks like they'll have to pull some "Blacklist" action to build a good climax!

    Hang in there MJ, they would do this in past seasons as well. I guess the quirky contrast builds more bang later! Time will tell...

  11. #26
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,205

    Quote Originally Posted by Content1 View Post
    Tonight was a crack up. Enjoyed the writers odd sense of humor and once again sharing another story of Mulder and or Scully witnessing ET life, yet never being able to prove it to others.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    Last night's episode didn't do it for me at all compared to the first two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Content1 View Post
    I can see why it wouldn't. Had a Monty Python aspect to it and yes is out of character especially after episodes 1 and 2. I would have thought they would have used the appearance of Smoking Man at the end of episode 2 to ratchet up the suspense and adventuresome plot lines...

    Instead you got hit with last night... Correct me if I'm wrong but originally i heard this winter series would only be 6 shows. They have their work cut out for them with only three left if that is the case. Looks like they'll have to pull some "Blacklist" action to build a good climax!

    Hang in there MJ, they would do this in past seasons as well. I guess the quirky contrast builds more bang later! Time will tell...
    Uh, like yes to every comment.

    I have to admit, I really enjoyed last night's episode. Like MF, the first two rocked so last night was a definite curve ball. However, as a former investigator I can relate to seeing things you never would be able to prove so well played X-Files.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,561

    Never had interest in the series but am now rethinking going back and catching it now that I have a lot of free time.

  13. #28
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,205

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    Never had interest in the series but am now rethinking going back and catching it now that I have a lot of free time.
    I think every episode is on both Netflix and Amazon Prime.

  14. #29
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,928

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I think every episode is on both Netflix and Amazon Prime.
    Don't have Netflix, but might have to use mom's Amazon Prime to view them. And here I was about to start Justified.

  15. #30
    MayfieldFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    1,105

    Last night's comedy episode wasn't really great for me, but I did enjoy the cemetery scene, a couple good moments there. The one line that elicited an out loud laugh was when Mulder said he was looking for some internal logic to the story and the guy said "why, there isn't any external logic."

Top