What New Music Are You Listening To?

Page 37 of Give us an idea of the "new stuff" you've worked into your music rotation. If you can, try to keep it to releases from the last 6 or 8 months... 558 comments | 30468 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #541
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    53,941

    The new Lord Huron record is quite good.
    Advertisement

  2. #542
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,659

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    The new Lord Huron record is quite good.
    He (they) just played a couple of weeks ago at the outdoor Homecoming Festival at the new Cincinnati Riverfront Smale Park that was in conjunction with the annual MusicNow Festival.

    If I had timed things better I could have watched and listened from the Roebling Bridge.

    Really dig "The Night We Met" but need to hear more, so I'm glad you're giving it a thumbs up.

    There were a few acts I would've liked to have caught, but I ended up seeing Future Islands who to be perfectly honest pretty much bore me to tears with every damn song having the exact same rhythm with lead dude singing practically the same melody (or grunts or whatever the hell it is that he does). I saw them two years ago at the Midpoint Music Festival because a friend of mine loves them, but then I was already burnt out on them, so I thought just my luck to arrive there to find them on the stage.

  3. #543
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    53,941

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    He (they) just played a couple of weeks ago at the outdoor Homecoming Festival at the new Cincinnati Riverfront Smale Park that was in conjunction with the annual MusicNow Festival.

    If I had timed things better I could have watched and listened from the Roebling Bridge.

    Really dig "The Night We Met" but need to hear more, so I'm glad you're giving it a thumbs up.

    There were a few acts I would've liked to have caught, but I ended up seeing Future Islands who to be perfectly honest pretty much bore me to tears with every damn song having the exact same rhythm with lead dude singing practically the same melody (or grunts or whatever the hell it is that he does). I saw them two years ago at the Midpoint Music Festival because a friend of mine loves them, but then I was already burnt out on them, so I thought just my luck to arrive there to find them on the stage.
    They have a Fleet Foxes vibe to them, stylistically. This new album is different though from the first one, which was amazing. I've only listened to it twice all the way through, but I like.

    And I am a big Fleet Foxes fan. I need to go record-shopping and grab that new one.

  4. #544
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,659

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    They have a Fleet Foxes vibe to them, stylistically. This new album is different though from the first one, which was amazing. I've only listened to it twice all the way through, but I like.

    And I am a big Fleet Foxes fan. I need to go record-shopping and grab that new one.
    Guessing that you already know that Fleet Foxes are gonna be in Louisville on May 23rd.

    Guessing too that you'll be there?

  5. #545
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    53,941

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    Guessing that you already know that Fleet Foxes are gonna be in Louisville on May 23rd.

    Guessing too that you'll be there?
    Unfortunately, work won't allow it unless it's a rainout day.

  6. #546
    Runcible Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Location
    A river runs through it.
    Posts
    1,805

    “You Worry Me” - Nathaniel Rateliff & Night Sweats



    I’ve been a fan for a while. Saw them perform this last night on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. The boys - Tore. It. Up.

  7. #547
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    36,570

    Quote Originally Posted by Runcible Owl View Post
    “You Worry Me” - Nathaniel Rateliff & Night Sweats



    I’ve been a fan for a while. Saw them perform this last night on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. The boys - Tore. It. Up.
    I got to see them last summer at the Forecastle Festival. They had a fantastic set.

  8. #548
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    36,570

    @B-Ball-fan ...I know you're a fellow fan of Bear's Den. One of the guys who joins the band for touring occasionally put out a solo album recently. It's REALLY solid. You should definitely give it a once (or twice) over.

    A Dutch cat by the name of Christof can der Ven.


  9. #549
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,659

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    @B-Ball-fan ...I know you're a fellow fan of Bear's Den. One of the guys who joins the band for touring occasionally put out a solo album recently. It's REALLY solid. You should definitely give it a once (or twice) over.

    A Dutch cat by the name of Christof can der Ven.

    Thanks for the tip as I've never heard of him, but like what you've posted...I'll have to dig deeper.

    Not exactly of course, but right off the bat the tonality of his voice sorta reminded me of Jackson Browne, and then when it went a bit further there were definite euro vibes in his accent with also a smidgen of that Chris Martin head voice transiting to a bit of a falsetto, but more in a baritone kind of way.

    I once attended a solo show of Rob Dickinson of Catherine Wheel at the 20th Century, who I like but he was sorta begrudgingly claiming from the stage to have begun that type of Coldplay vocal trend, to which I couldn't but help to think that he might've been forgetting about Peter Gabriel with that comment. I still shook his hand after show, and kept my opinions to myself.

  10. #550
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,659

    Y'all remember Gary Numan the British electronic new wave artist who first entered our consciousness in 1979 with his tune "Cars"?

    Truth is he has consistently been putting out records ever since with about 20 proper releases, and is at it again with his current "Savage (Songs from a Broken World)" - described in Wikipedia as a concept album centered around the blending of Western and Eastern cultures in a post-apocalyptic world that has become dersertified as a result of global warming.

    "The songs are about the things that people do in such a harsh and terrifying environment," Numan stated in an interview. "It's about a desperate need to survive and they do awful things in order to do so, and some are haunted by what they've done. That desire to be forgiven, along with some discovered remnants of an old religious book, ultimately encourages religion to resurface, and it really goes downhill from there".

    His voice sounds just as it did nearly 40 years ago...

    Numan is also on tour and will be performing at Bogart's in Cincinnati Sept. 14.

    The single from the record "My Name is Ruin" is a pretty hot and catchy track...


  11. #551
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,659


  12. #552
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,659


  13. #553
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,659


  14. #554
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,659

    Some throwback 60's hippie vibes from New Zealand's Arthur Ahbez...


  15. #555
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,659

    More grooviness from Arthur Ahbez...


Tags for this Thread

Top