This song IMO is, Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    47,466

    This song IMO is, Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down

    Post a song from some of your favorite artist/groups that you think others might enjoy.

    Give each song posted an honest listening to, and then give it either a "thumbs up or thumbs down".

    NO VIDEOS PLEASE,( @B-Ball-fan ) just post the youtube link.

    This will probably shock most that this is Extreme, taken from their 1990 multi-platinum album "Pornograffitti"........written by vocalist Gary Cherone, “When I First Kissed You”, is jazzy piano ballad, completely sans guitar. Here, Bassist Pat Badger uses a stand-up, double bass which adds to the song’s feel of authenticity as well along with the fine orchestral strings over the bridge.

    Extreme - When I First Kissed You (Lyrics on screen) - YouTube
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,756

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy13 View Post
    Post a song from some of your favorite artist/groups that you think others might enjoy.

    Give each song posted an honest listening to, and then give it either a "thumbs up or thumbs down".

    NO VIDEOS PLEASE,( @B-Ball-fan ) just post the youtube link.

    This will probably shock most that this is Extreme, taken from their 1990 multi-platinum album "Pornograffitti"........written by vocalist Gary Cherone, “When I First Kissed You”, is jazzy piano ballad, completely sans guitar. Here, Bassist Pat Badger uses a stand-up, double bass which adds to the song’s feel of authenticity as well along with the fine orchestral strings over the bridge.

    Extreme - When I First Kissed You (Lyrics on screen) - YouTube
    I'm cool with the smokey, bluesy, jazzy, late night, last one in the bar on a Monday night feel of the tune, so It gets a thumbs up from me

    Reminds me a bit of George Michael's "Kissing a Fool"

    KISSING A FOOL DEL ALBUM LADIES & GENTLEMEN SUBTITULADA ESP - YouTube

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    47,466

    Like him or not, George Michael could sing.

  4. #4
    ADopted ADmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    Posts
    12,449

  5. #5
    ADopted ADmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    Posts
    12,449

    From the least liked Skynyrd album...I love this song...Tribute to Jumperpride... Lynyrd Skynyrd - Every Mother's Son (live '75) - YouTube

  6. #6
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,756

    Dada is an L.A. 90's band that just seemed to fall through the cracks mostly because they didn't ride any particular trends.

    The only tune that anyone might barely recall from its MTV exposure in 1992 was called "Dizz Knee Land" where they spelled it that way to avoid being sued.

    They put out 5 albums in total between 1992-2004.

    In truth the only release I've ever heard in its entirety was their 2nd album American Highway Flower, but always thought them to be a band with sound musicianship and tasteful melodic tunes.

    They actually toured again recently making a stop in Newport, Ky at the Southgate House which I unfortunately wasn't able to attend.

    I'll post "Dizz Knee Land" from their debut just to see if I can jog anyone's memory, but then I'll post a few from the AHF release...

    Dada - Dizz Knee Land - YouTube

    Here's "All I Am" by Dada which I guess sorta reminds me a little of Crowded House meets Gin Blossoms but maybe a bit more rockin' than both of those bands.

    Dada - All I Am - YouTube

    Here's "Scum" from Dada which might remind me of the aforementioned compared bands along with maybe a sprinkle of Squeeze.

    Dada - Scum (w/Lyrics) - YouTube

    And lastly probably the Dada tune "Feel Me Don't You" that most got my attention with a vibe that builds similar to a tune on Pink Floyd's Animals then smacks you in the face with attitude...

    Dada - Feel Me Don't You - YouTube

  7. #7
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,756

    Quote Originally Posted by ADopted ADmiral View Post
    I have to admit that I liked this tune the first 16,999 times that I heard it on MTV, but I think that 17,000th time did it in for me. That's no fault of Dexy's Midnight Runners 'cause they definitely wrote a unique memorable likable tune here, yet too much repetition unfortunately had a way of tarnishing it a bit for me.

  8. #8
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,756

    Quote Originally Posted by ADopted ADmiral View Post
    From the least liked Skynyrd album...I love this song...Tribute to Jumperpride... Lynyrd Skynyrd - Every Mother's Son (live '75) - YouTube
    It's perhaps not the most grabbing LS song in their repertoire, yet it's still pleasant enough to satisfy. I personally have never heard it before, but as I continued to listen I found myself in a laid back groove that felt right. I dig LS a whole lot anyhow so just the sound of them works for me anywhere from the no doubters to the lesser tracks.

  9. #9
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,756

    Oklahoma City band The Nixons just about never get mentioned in conversations regarding 90's Alternative, but their 2nd of 4 releases during that decade spawned probably their most recognizable, yet probably largely forgotten likable tune "Sister".

    The Nixons - Sister - YouTube

  10. #10
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,756

    Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies were a 90's Nashville, TN southern boogie style band lead by the gospel soul/blues sensational vocals of Mike Farris.

    They never got the recognition they deserved, yet in my history of attending concerts this one tune "Shakin' The Blues" is no doubt one of my most favorite and memorable songs that rates way high in how fantastic it sounded live getting the crowd rockin' on the second stage at the outdoor H.O.R.D.E festival.

    Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies - Shakin' the blues - YouTube

    Mike Farris had been to hell and back with the rock/drugs lifestyle, but got saved and has continued to put to good use his excellent gospel soul vocals in a more positive setting.

    Here he is with a stunning powerful rendition of "Change Is Gonna Come"...

    Mike Farris "Change Is Gonna Come" - YouTube

    I just can't highlight this dude without also posting his cover of the Mary Gauthier penned tune "Mercy Now"

    Mike Farris "Mercy Now" - YouTube

    Mike Farris brought his gospel show to Cincinnati about 6 months ago playing in a local high school auditorium, and while I had plenty of fair warning I opted not to go because I couldn't get anyone to listen for 5 seconds to his greatness simply because the name did not resonate with them. I've been to many stunning shows by myself because of this dilemma, and this one should have been no exception, and I'm still kicking myself hard for not taking it in.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,980

    Quote Originally Posted by ADopted ADmiral View Post
    BIG Thumbs up !!! Always thought that was a catchy, fun tune. Plus, it takes me back to a fun time in the eighties.

  12. #12
    ADopted ADmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    Posts
    12,449

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    Oklahoma City band The Nixons just about never get mentioned in conversations regarding 90's Alternative, but their 2nd of 4 releases during that decade spawned probably their most recognizable, yet probably largely forgotten likable tune "Sister".

    The Nixons - Sister - YouTube
    I actually have this album on vinyl. Good stuff.

  13. #13
    ADopted ADmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    Posts
    12,449

    Quote Originally Posted by ADopted ADmiral View Post
    I've been trying to run down a copy of Too-Rye-Ay forever. Keep your eyes open for me guys and gals...

  14. #14
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,756

    Quote Originally Posted by ADopted ADmiral View Post
    I actually have this album on vinyl. Good stuff.
    Damn it's amazing how much you have in your collection. If you ever run into $$$ troubles you have a record shop built in right there at your place. I know all too well tough the nightmares you might have if ever watching any of it go no matter the price.

    I need to revisit that Nixons release as there's so much now that I don't recall about it.

    With this "Sister" tune my brain is hearing a blend of:

    Our Lady Peace, Matchbox 20, & Pearl Jam

  15. #15
    ADopted ADmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    Posts
    12,449

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    Damn it's amazing how much you have in your collection. If you ever run into $$$ troubles you have a record shop built in right there at your place. I know all too well tough the nightmares you might have if ever watching any of it go no matter the price.

    I need to revisit that Nixons release as there's so much now that I don't recall about it.

    With this "Sister" tune my brain is hearing a blend of:

    Our Lady Peace, Matchbox 20, & Pearl Jam
    Dude if that happens we all gonna starve...In my best Charlton Heston voice I'll give you my vinyl records when you pry (or take) it from my cold, dead hands...lol...

Top