I Can Name That Tune in ... ???

Page 10 of I'll give you some lyrics of a classic tune from yesteryear(you know, back when music was good) and you tell me the name of the tune. If you know it , ... 147 comments | 1853 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #136

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,980

    Top-selling album for 15 weeks(10x platinum) :


    They say you got a boy friend
    You're out late every weekend
    They're talkin' about you and it's bringin' me down
    But I know the neighborhood
    And talk is cheap when the story is good
    And the tales grow taller on down the line
    But I'm telling you, babe
    That I don't think it's true, babe
    And even if it is keep this in mind
    ...
    Advertisement

  2. #137

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,980

    A favorite from way back when...

    I've been around for you
    Been up and down for you
    But I just can't get any relief
    I've swallowed my pride for you
    I've lived and lied for you
    But you still make me feel like a thief

    You got me stealing your love away
    'Cause you never give it
    Peeling the years away
    And we can't relive it
    Oh, I make you laugh
    And you make me cry
    I believe it's ...

  3. #138
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    9,127

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    More seventies. Oh, haven't we all...


    I must have been through about a million girls
    I'd love 'em then I'd leave 'em alone
    I didn't care how much they cried, no sir
    Their tears left me cold as a stone
    .....

    It used to be when I'd see a girl that I liked
    I'd get out my book and write down her name
    Ah, but when the, the grass got a little greener over on the other side
    I'd just tear out that page

    Fooled Around and Fell In Love - Elvin Bishop (lots of Starship connections)

  4. #139

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,371

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    Top-selling album for 15 weeks(10x platinum) :


    They say you got a boy friend
    You're out late every weekend
    They're talkin' about you and it's bringin' me down
    But I know the neighborhood
    And talk is cheap when the story is good
    And the tales grow taller on down the line
    But I'm telling you, babe
    That I don't think it's true, babe
    And even if it is keep this in mind
    ...
    Edit

  5. #140

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,980

    del

  6. #141

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,980

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    Fooled Around and Fell In Love - Elvin Bishop (lots of Starship connections)

    Indeed. Most people hear that tune on the radio and think that is Elvin Bishop singing lead. It is, as you know, Mickey Thomas (Jefferson Starship and Starship).

  7. #142
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,756

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    More seventies...

    On the first part of the journey
    I was looking at all the life
    There were plants and birds and rocks and things
    There was sand and hills and rings
    The first thing I met was a fly with a buzz
    And the sky with no clouds
    The heat was hot and the ground was dry
    But the air was full of sound
    Horse With No Name - America

    Big time favorite of mine.

  8. #143

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,980

    When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
    A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
    And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily,
    Joyfully, playfully watching me.
    But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible,
    ... , responsible, practical.
    And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
    Clinical, intellectual, cynical.

    ...

    Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
    Liberal, fanatical, criminal.
    Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
    Acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable!

  9. #144
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,756

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    Top-selling album for 15 weeks(10x platinum) :


    They say you got a boy friend
    You're out late every weekend
    They're talkin' about you and it's bringin' me down
    But I know the neighborhood
    And talk is cheap when the story is good
    And the tales grow taller on down the line
    But I'm telling you, babe
    That I don't think it's true, babe
    And even if it is keep this in mind
    ...
    REO Speedwagon - Take It On The Run

    When I was 17 I used to practice this tune with a 20 something guitar player red headed dude named Harry in a huge 3rd floor apartment a few blocks from my house.

    He didn't want to sing and wanted someone to do so while he jammed on his black Les Paul. Worked out good because his place was full of equipment, and all I had to do was show up, (which of course I did ever freakin' chance I got).

    He believed in me because he liked how I sounded on Neil Young's Southern Man and was excited that I knew all the words. Met him as I'd walk home from my first job and hung out on the street below his pad listening 'til one day he looked out the window and saw me, and I excitedly shouted up to him if that was him playing it sounded great. He invited me up and I felt like I just walked into Rock n' Roll Heaven. Best summer ever!

    I'd have to learn the tunes that he knew, but I didn't care because I liked his diverse tastes, as well as being introduced to stuff that I had previously been unfamiliar with. He's the one who really got me liking Lynyrd Skynyrd 'cause he had some hardcore Southern Rock friends who'd come over for full band dynamics and all I knew is that it felt like I was jamming with a real freakin' band, and these guys were really good.

    Unfortunately he didn't have the funds to keep up on the rent, and had to split and ended up moving in with a girl, and his freedom and space to jam got cramped and everything just changed.

    But I'll never forget it as it was the first time I got the taste of doing what I had always dreamed of.

  10. #145
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,756

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    A favorite from way back when...

    I've been around for you
    Been up and down for you
    But I just can't get any relief
    I've swallowed my pride for you
    I've lived and lied for you
    But you still make me feel like a thief

    You got me stealing your love away
    'Cause you never give it
    Peeling the years away
    And we can't relive it
    Oh, I make you laugh
    And you make me cry
    I believe it's ...
    REO - Time For Me To Fly

    Though it sounded familiar I was having trouble with it until I got to your last line and had nowhere else to go but the song title.

  11. #146
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,756

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
    A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
    And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily,
    Joyfully, playfully watching me.
    But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible,
    ... , responsible, practical.
    And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
    Clinical, intellectual, cynical.

    ...

    Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
    Liberal, fanatical, criminal.
    Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
    Acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable!
    Supertramp - The Logical Song

    Absolutely love this tune.

  12. #147

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,980

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    REO Speedwagon - Take It On The Run

    When I was 17 I used to practice this tune with a 20 something guitar player red headed dude named Harry in a huge 3rd floor apartment a few blocks from my house.

    He didn't want to sing and wanted someone to do so while he jammed on his black Les Paul. Worked out good because his place was full of equipment, and all I had to do was show up, (which of course I did ever freakin' chance I got).

    He believed in me because he liked how I sounded on Neil Young's Southern Man and was excited that I knew all the words. Met him as I'd walk home from my first job and hung out on the street below his pad listening 'til one day he looked out the window and saw me, and I excitedly shouted up to him if that was him playing it sounded great. He invited me up and I felt like I just walked into Rock n' Roll Heaven. Best summer ever!

    I'd have to learn the tunes that he knew, but I didn't care because I liked his diverse tastes, as well as being introduced to stuff that I had previously been unfamiliar with. He's the one who really got me liking Lynyrd Skynyrd 'cause he had some hardcore Southern Rock friends who'd come over for full band dynamics and all I knew is that if felt like I was jamming with a real freakin' band, and these guys were really good.

    Unfortunately he didn't have the funds to keep up on the rent, and had to split and ended up moving in with a girl, and his freedom and space to jam got cramped and everything just changed.

    But I'll never forget it as it was the first time I got the taste of doing what I had always dreamed of.
    I saw REO at the Red Mile on Stakes Day nearly30 yrs. ago. It had rained lot during the day and by the time Cronin and the boys took the stage , drunken boys and girls were playing , fighting , having sexual relations, puking, and passing out in the mud at the Mile. REO rocked our butts off(at least the few of us who weren't passed out or fornicating in the mud). I remember Cronin talking with some of us after the show and asking us where would be the best place in town for the band to go hang out and have some drinks. I think they decided to head over to the Brass A Saloon. Good times...

  13. #148
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,756

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    I saw REO at the Red Mile on Stakes Day nearly30 yrs. ago. It had rained lot during the day and by the time Cronin and the boys took the stage , drunken boys and girls were playing , fighting , having sexual relations, puking, and passing out in the mud at the Mile. REO rocked our butts off(at least the few of us who weren't passed out or fornicating in the mud). I remember Cronin talking with some of us after the show and asking us where would be the best place in town for the band to go hang out and have some drinks. I think they decided to head over to the Brass A Saloon. Good times...

Top