Harry Styles - "Sign of the Times"/Chicago - "Hard to say I'm Sorry

  1. #1
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    10,025

    Harry Styles - "Sign of the Times"/Chicago - "Hard to say I'm Sorry

    OK so now One Direction's Harry Styles' new tune "Sign Of the Times" is everywhere, and while not a terrible song, it's driving me nuts because I keep involuntarily hearing Chicago's "Hard To Say I'm Sorry" in my head nonstop.

    Because "Sign of the Times" is everywhere I'm hearing it without trying to, and it's leaving me all damn day long singing in my head...

    "Everybody needs a little time away, I heard you say, from each other"....blah blah blah...."Hold me now, it's hard for me to say I'm sorry, I just want you to stay, hold me now, I really wanna tell you I'm sorry...blah blah blah...after all that we've been through I will make it up to you, I promise to, and after all that's been said and done you're just the part of me I can't let go....blah blah blah"...over and over in my head....it's driving me crazy.

    Please make it stop.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    10,025


  3. #3
    Hangman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Pikeville
    Posts
    15,809

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    OK so now One Direction's Harry Styles' new tune "Sign Of the Times" is everywhere, and while not a terrible song, it's driving me nuts because I keep involuntarily hearing Chicago's "Hard To Say I'm Sorry" in my head nonstop.

    Because "Sign of the Times" is everywhere I'm hearing it without trying to, and it's leaving me all damn day long singing in my head...

    "Everybody needs a little time away, I heard you say, from each other"....blah blah blah...."Hold me now, it's hard for me to say I'm sorry, I just want you to stay, hold me now, I really wanna tell you I'm sorry...blah blah blah...after all that we've been through I will make it up to you, I promise to, and after all that's been said and done you're just the part of me I can't let go....blah blah blah"...over and over in my head....it's driving me crazy.

    Please make it stop.

    I don't necessarily get those vibes, but I see where you're coming from.

    Do me a favor and listen to his new song "Sweet Creature" and tell me what song the chorus is ripping off. I feel like it's Mumford and Sons, but I can't place it and it's driving me CRAZY!

    For what it's worth, I unapolegetically love the solo stuff Harry has released so far.

  4. #4
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    10,025

    Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    I don't necessarily get those vibes, but I see where you're coming from.

    Do me a favor and listen to his new song "Sweet Creature" and tell me what song the chorus is ripping off. I feel like it's Mumford and Sons, but I can't place it and it's driving me CRAZY!

    For what it's worth, I unapolegetically love the solo stuff Harry has released so far.
    I listened to "Sweet Creature" and whereas I only know a couple of Mumford tunes, and not enough to compare and spot similarities, I did however keep feeling a Beatles "Blackbird" vibe in some of the guitar picking and chordage.

  5. #5
    Hangman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Pikeville
    Posts
    15,809

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    I listened to "Sweet Creature" and whereas I only know a couple of Mumford tunes, and not enough to compare and spot similarities, I did however keep feeling a Beatles "Blackbird" vibe in some of the guitar picking and chordage.
    It may not be Mumford, I don't even know. I can sing it in my head but can't quite get the lyrics to come out. Truly maddening.

  6. #6
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    10,025

    Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    It may not be Mumford, I don't even know. I can sing it in my head but can't quite get the lyrics to come out. Truly maddening.
    I listened to Mumford's "I Will Wait" and am wondering if you're hearing similarities in the I Will Wait... I Will Wait/Sweet Creature... Sweet Creature part ? At the end of the Sweet Creature chorus he bends a note a certain way that seems to be calling to mind something that I can't place.

    Regarding Mumford's "I Will Wait" you could almost do a mash up of that, Phillip Phillip's "Home", Lumineers' - "Ho Hey", Of Monsters and Men's - "Little Talk", and Edward Sharpe's - "Home" and somehow it would all work. Those tunes all came out around the same time and all felt so similar to one another.

  7. #7
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Every atom in our bodies came from a star that exploded. The atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. We are all stardust."
    Posts
    6,974

    I hear what you're saying, friend, but all I can say to Harry is, "You're no Peter Cetera."

  8. #8
    Lawnboy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    45,519

    DLG 2.0 is going to see the "Style Master" in Nashville in September.

  9. #9
    Hangman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Pikeville
    Posts
    15,809

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy13 View Post
    DLG 2.0 is going to see the "Style Master" in Nashville in September.
    I'd love to go.

  10. #10
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    10,025

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    I hear what you're saying, friend, but all I can say to Harry is, "You're no Peter Cetera."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy13 View Post
    DLG 2.0 is going to see the "Style Master" in Nashville in September.
    I suppose that it's understandable that without the benefit of an honest listen one might draw an instant assumption @Lawnboy13 @Science Friction that One Direction's Harry Style's debut solo effort would be teenie-bopper candy-sweet, avoid at all cost, no talent, "nothing today is good anymore", pop schlock, however as Rolling Stone magazine reveals with a 4 star rating, he avoids the typical missteps of many boy band members gone solo, and channels an intimate emotional 70's soft-rock vibe digging deep into classic California mellow gold.

    (Stevie Nicks, a fan, thinks so too, as she recently shared the stage with him at one of his shows singing a duet of "Landslide").

    Review: Harry Styles' 'Harry Styles' - Rolling Stone

    Now of course just like some of your favorite 70's tunes that didn't resonate on your first few listens, though you now don't recall ever not having loved them from the word go, these tunes won't instantly knock you over either, and especially if you listen with the intent to instantly rule them out.

    If you had taken that same approach years ago, you wouldn't today be singing the praises of how amazing the 70's and 80's were.

    It's not so much a drop in song quality as it is a drop in one's attention span, and the chance one offers newer stuff with an open ear and an open mind.

    Am I a fanatic about Styles' debut? Not terribly, but I can see where it's really not at all a terrible listen. If I were to give it a few spins I could see where a couple of tunes would stick.

    Since I'm mentioning Harry, another One Direction member, Niall Horan has also recently released his debut, and the lead off single "This Town" is a really good instantly likable heart felt tune.


  11. #11
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,421

    It's not a bad record at all. It ain't my cup of tea but my lady friend really likes it. The guy can sing. Can't take that from him.

  12. #12
    Hangman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Pikeville
    Posts
    15,809

    Update: Still love it.

Top