Dunkirk

Page 2 of Coming out this weekend. I think the wife and I may go tomorrow morning. Really looking forward to it. Love WWII flicks. Advertisement 0 0 0   &nb... 57 comments | 1805 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    AllenR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 13
    Posts
    1,421

    Quote Originally Posted by atm10 View Post
    And here I was going to say just one persons opinion and then you list this! Which I agree with! Damn, I'll be disappointed with Dunkirk! Lol, is it the Harry Styles factor!?!?
    You never know...
    You may like it.
    Doubtful, but possible.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    19,049

    Just got in from seeing it. I liked it. Liked how he interwove the three stories. It isn't a blood and guts war movie, but it seemed to stay fairly true to the actual event. I'd recommend you see it.

  3. #18
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    49,089

    I thought it was pretty good, but wasn't great. Expecting blood and good would be silly considering its a PG-13 movie. I thought they did a good job with the story, but its hard to feel really connected because of the lack of character development.

    My expectations were a little lower than those thinking it would compare to the gold standard of WWII movies, heck the gold standard of movies in general.

  4. #19
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,328

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    I thought it was pretty good, but wasn't great. Expecting blood and good would be silly considering its a PG-13 movie. I thought they did a good job with the story, but its hard to feel really connected because of the lack of character development.

    My expectations were a little lower than those thinking it would compare to the gold standard of WWII movies, heck the gold standard of movies in general.
    So it's OK if i wait for netflix vs catching this film at the theatre???

  5. #20
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    49,089

    Quote Originally Posted by Content1 View Post
    So it's OK if i wait for netflix vs catching this film at the theatre???
    I wouldn't call it a "Must See in Theaters".

    But I definitely don't think its as bleak as @AllenR is saying.

  6. #21
    AllenR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 13
    Posts
    1,421

    Quote Originally Posted by Content1 View Post
    So it's OK if i wait for netflix vs catching this film at the theatre???
    If you have to, I'd suggest going on a Saturday or Sunday morning when it's cheaper.
    Does att still do that bogo thing on Tuesdays?

  7. #22
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,328

    I'm thinking netflix...I'm still recovering from having watched "Wonder Woman" yesterday!

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    The City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    2,115

    I'm closer to @AllenR here. Not a spoiler, but if you don't know going in that there are 3 separate stories on 3 different timelines that will converge, it is pretty confusing and hard to follow for the 1st 1/3 to 1/2 of the movie. Additionally, there is very little dialogue and much of the small amount of dialogue that was there was very hard to hear / understand. Low volume and heavy accents didn't help.

    Couple of stirring scenes where you'd expect.

  9. #24
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    12,975

    I've heard from two good friends, whose movie opinions I value, and they both echo @AllenR's opinion. I was very much looking forward to seeing it, but I will certainly wait until I can watch it at home at this point. Too bad, I was really excited to see it.

  10. #25
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,339

    Crap, I wanted this to be a good one. I suppose I'll pass for now.

  11. #26
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    10,400

    While not being a big war movie fanatic myself, when I heard reports that it was not a big bloodbath, and leaned more towards story content, then I actually became intrigued by the idea of seeing it, and considering that war movie buffs aren't finding it too interesting only supports the likelihood that it very possibly could be my cup of tea.

  12. #27
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    61,347

    I watch all of Christopher Nolan's movies, but this one doesn't hold any appeal to me at all.

  13. #28
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    49,089

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    While not being a big war movie fanatic myself, when I heard reports that it was not a big bloodbath, and leaned more towards story content, then I actually became intrigued by the idea of seeing it, and considering that war movie buffs aren't finding it too interesting only supports the likelihood that it very possibly could be my cup of tea.
    It didn't really even feel like they went that in deep into the story though.

    In the previews they showed a movie called The Darkest Hour which focuses on Winston Churchill seemed more interesting and maybe more up your alley.

  14. #29
    StrongSide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Posts
    1,014

    Different style war movie. Someone asked me how it compared to a Saving Private Ryan, Pearl Harbor, We were soldiers type movie and my response was "I have seen those movies countless times and will continue to watch those movies, I will not see Dunkirk again".

  15. #30
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,494

    Quote Originally Posted by StrongSide View Post
    Different style war movie. Someone asked me how it compared to a Saving Private Ryan, Pearl Harbor, We were soldiers type movie and my response was "I have seen those movies countless times and will continue to watch those movies, I will not see Dunkirk again".
    Pearl Harbor? You'll continue to watch Pearl Harbor?

Top