Boycotting the Oscars

Page 7 of Originally Posted by doomer Is Straight Outta Compton better than Eight Mile? Eight Mile is considered a classic for its genre, and received an award f... 113 comments | 3252 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #91
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,157

    I long ago learned the Academy awards make no sense.
    Advertisement

  2. #92
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,660

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    That is so racist! Who said snow had to be white?

  3. #93
    4chs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    Corbin/Whitley Co.
    Posts
    10,778

    The real problem is that minorities are not getting the good roles in the great movies.

  4. #94
    BirdBrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Posts
    5,393

    Quote Originally Posted by nkypete View Post
    That is so racist! Who said snow had to be white?
    Have you seen it snow in that region before...it ain't white by the time it hits the ground.....

  5. #95
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,660

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Have you seen it snow in that region before...it ain't white by the time it hits the ground.....
    Agreed

  6. #96
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    4,340

    Quote Originally Posted by nkypete View Post
    That is so racist! Who said snow had to be white?
    If I've been drinking, it's been known to be yellow below my back porch.

  7. #97
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,205

  8. #98
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,157

    Is Straight Outta Compton better than Eight Mile? Eight Mile is considered a classic for its genre, and received an award for best song not best movie.

  9. #99

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    Is Straight Outta Compton better than Eight Mile? Eight Mile is considered a classic for its genre, and received an award for best song not best movie.
    Comparable. I enjoyed both.

  10. #100
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    10,079

    I don't know if the facts are true because I don't feel like researching it. But Larry Elder tweeted the following ( I know he can be extreme .

    Since 2000 10% of Oscar nominees have been Black and they make up 12.5% of population.

  11. #101
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    10,079

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    Is Straight Outta Compton better than Eight Mile? Eight Mile is considered a classic for its genre, and received an award for best song not best movie.
    I actually was talking about this exact comparison with my buddy today. It goes back to the voters being old white guys. They don't get hip hop. I love both movies , but I actually think 8mile was better and it didn't get the nomination.

  12. #102

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Ft. Mitchell Ky
    Posts
    21,150

    Ice Cube: "you can't boycott something you never went to".

  13. #103
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,205

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    Is Straight Outta Compton better than Eight Mile? Eight Mile is considered a classic for its genre, and received an award for best song not best movie.
    Both are great movies. I liked Straight Outta Compton more because of what NWA meant to me when I was growing up.

  14. #104
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    10,079

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    Both are great movies. I liked Straight Outta Compton more because of what NWA meant to me when I was growing up.
    Which is fair. I loved both and both as artists. Eminem came out right in my HS years. So even though I love NWA , Eminem hits home a little more for me. But I think both movies were awesome . I still own everything each put out musically as well.

    The bigger point was I do think it being around Hip Hop probably hurt it around old white guys who don't listen to it.

    My dad would watch the movie Ray because he loves Ray Charles but he would never watch Straight out of Compton. He's never liked Hip Hop. I don't think it makes him racist , just not his cup of tea.


    But to be fair I do think race probably played apart subconsciously with voters. I don't think they wouldn't vote for someone black as since 2000 10% of winners have been Black. I just think they let their bias come into play which is a partly genres certain races enjoy.

    When it's all said and done I haven't watched th Oscars ever I think. So I'm with Ice Cube on this.

  15. #105
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,205

    Quote Originally Posted by LIPTON BASH View Post
    Which is fair. I loved both and both as artists. Eminem came out right in my HS years. So even though I love NWA , Eminem hits home a little more for me. But I think both movies were awesome . I still own everything each put out musically as well.

    The bigger point was I do think it being around Hip Hop probably hurt it around old white guys who don't listen to it.

    My dad would watch the movie Ray because he loves Ray Charles but he would never watch Straight out of Compton. He's never liked Hip Hop. I don't think it makes him racist , just not his cup of tea.


    But to be fair I do think race probably played apart subconsciously with voters. I don't think they wouldn't vote for someone black as since 2000 10% of winners have been Black. I just think they let their bias come into play which is a partly genres certain races enjoy.

    When it's all said and done I haven't watched th Oscars ever I think. So I'm with Ice Cube on this.
    My dad watched Ray but he wouldn't watch Straight Outta Compton either.

Top