Bet You Didn't Know This Song Was First Recorded By ...

Page 4 of For this thread, see if you can come up with songs that were first recorded by one artist but later gained notoriety and made a hit by another artist. ... 52 comments | 1031 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    11,334

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Anyone aware that Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" wasn't originally written or recorded by her?? The song was originally done by Robert Hazard and the Hero's, who was one of the most popular local Philly bands in the 80's, and had a couple minor hits "Escalator of Life" and "Change Reaction" that got a lot of airplay on MTV.

    https://youtu.be/5aLNwOxPsjg
    Wow...never knew this...It's so associated with Cyndi Lauper that I never ever considered that she hadn't written it.

    This tune has been in my head lately from listening to these guys and their cover of it from their 2012 Jupiter release....

    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    7,250

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    Wow...never knew this...It's so associated with Cyndi Lauper that I never ever considered that she hadn't written it.

    This tune has been in my head lately from listening to these guys and their cover of it from their 2012 Jupiter release....

    I hadn't know either until I saw Robert Hazard for the 1st time in the late 80'/early 90's while I was in college. He introduced the song as a "pretty big hit" that they wrote and recorded in 1979. When they started playing "Girls Just Wanna Have fun" my friends and I looked at each in shock.

  3. #48
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the Sun--- But Mama, that's where the fun is !!! "
    Posts
    8,048

    I've learned a lot in this thread that I didn't know. It's interesting to learn about the true origin of songs.

  4. #49
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    11,334

    [QUOTE=Science Friction;6335741]
    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    For this thread, see if you can come up with songs that were first recorded by one artist but later gained notoriety and made a hit by another artist. Feel free to either give the artist who made it a hit and let us guess who first recorded it or , if you want, you can give both in your initial post.

    The one I will start the thread off with is a song that was first recorded back in 1981 by a group I heard Thursday night. In fact, they closed their show with this song. Most old guys like me will remember this song as a hit for Huey Lewis and the News back in '83. Who recorded it first , two years prior to HLATN ?

    A band founded back in 1963 in Richmond(KY), EXILE was the first to record Heart and Soul
    . That's London, KY native Les Taylor, and not Huey Lewis , on lead vocals.

    Though obviously two different artists doing the same song, I'm not hearing much of a significant difference between the two versions other than the way Exile growls a bit more with the song title, and extends the theme midway to add time to the song.

    Tempo wise, lyrically, and melodically Huey has appeared to stay true to form note per note, so If anyone was a big fan of Huey's version, I don't think I'm getting why the Exile version would have been anymore painful to their ears than Mr. Lewis' version.

    As @Science Friction said when he heard them live it sounded alright, so my guess that if the band ever deemed that growl sound to be unnecessary they could easily do away with it.

    SF... do you recall at all if that sound was prominent, or unnoticeable when hearing them recently play it live?

  5. #50
    Runcible Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Location
    Above ground? Excellent!
    Posts
    599

    I'm a big fan of the group that first recorded this, but Joe owns it. The original was done by..... ?


    "Feelin' Alright" - Joe Cocker

  6. #51
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,278

    Here's the original. Big Mama topped the charts with it for 7 weeks in 1952.

    We all know who sang it later.


  7. #52
    jvdfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    By the Lake
    Posts
    8,525

    I remember when Les Taylor played for Sunburst out of Lexington. They were the house band at Camelot in Lexington. Jimmy Stokley was the original lead singer for Exile. The early 70's version of Exile had a great funk rock thing going on. They were fantastic live and had the best Bass player I had ever seen at the time, Kenny Weir.

  8. #53
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the Sun--- But Mama, that's where the fun is !!! "
    Posts
    8,048

    [QUOTE=B-Ball-fan;6338150]
    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post

    Though obviously two different artists doing the same song, I'm not hearing much of a significant difference between the two versions other than the way Exile growls a bit more with the song title, and extends the theme midway to add time to the song.

    Tempo wise, lyrically, and melodically Huey has appeared to stay true to form note per note, so If anyone was a big fan of Huey's version, I don't think I'm getting why the Exile version would have been anymore painful to their ears than Mr. Lewis' version.

    As @Science Friction said when he heard them live it sounded alright, so my guess that if the band ever deemed that growl sound to be unnecessary they could easily do away with it.

    SF... do you recall at all if that sound was prominent, or unnoticeable when hearing them recently play it live?
    It was unnoticeable. They did a nice job with the song three weeks ago.

Top