Album Covers.......little known facts

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    46,260

    Album Covers.......little known facts

    Name:  get.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  4.2 KB

    The cover of the album depicts the posterior of someone wearing tight red leather pants, with a man's arm and hand in the foreground with index and middle finger crossed. The model wearing the leather pants was 13-year-old Tymara Kennedy, daughter of photographer David Michael Kennedy who shot the cover. The photo credit on the album stated "Bottom by: T.K.", which was sometimes interpreted as the publishing shorthand for the term to come. The use of red leather pants originated from Reno selecting a few items from a leather shop owned by the husband of the band manager's publicist.

    Until 2014, various claims about the identity of the person wearing the leather pants were made. These included Mike Reno, the band's lead singer, who "just went along with" such claims, and Paul Dean, both of whom wore red leather pants during the concert tour for the album. At other times, both were ambiguous about the identity of the model. In a 2012 interview, Reno stated that the model was the photographer's daughter, a claim repeated in a 2013 interview. CBC Music confirmed the identity of the model in an interview with Kennedy in August 2014. According to Kennedy, his stylist found only one pair of red leather pants while shopping in New York City before the photo shoot in 1981. They fit none of the band members or models on the set. At home later that day, his daughter returned from school, saw the pants, and asked to try them. They fit her, and Kennedy decided to use her as the model.

    It is unknown whose hand and arm are in the picture. According to an article in The Toronto Star newspaper on October 17, 2015 by John Berg....."An Argentinian male model, six foot five", (was hired) "on the basis of his big hands" Tymara Kennedy died in an automobile crash in 1991, with the cover to this album as her only modelling credit.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    53,227

    I always assumed it was Mike Reno.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    46,260

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    I always assumed it was Mike Reno.
    Same here.

  4. #4
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    57,477

    Roger Dean has done the artwork for some 120+ albums.


  5. #5
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    10,900

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    I always assumed it was Mike Reno.
    Same. I've always thought that it was him because it seems that I've seen him in a video somewhere along the way in red leather.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Big Bone, KY
    Posts
    2,114

    Name:  StreetSurvivorsFlames.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  26.6 KB
    This was the original album cover.
    Name:  Lynyrd_Skynyrd-Street_Survivors-Interior_Frontal.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  113.7 KB
    This was the second cover.
    Three days after the album came out their plane crashed and 3 band members died. Gaines,VanZant and backup singer Gaines. I always thought the album covers came out the other way around and they made the flames over the ones that died in the crash. But it was the other way around. And only Gaines in the middle died in the crash. VanZant is to his immediate right (and is wearing a Neil Young shirt).

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    46,260

    Name:  220px-Hooked.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  17.0 KB

    Released in 1991, Great White's "Hooked", original album cover art was photographed by famous fashion photographer John Scarpati and featured a nude female model being hoisted out of the sea by a large hook. This cover was judged too risque by the label and replaced by art director Hugh Syme shortly after the initial pressing with an alternative cover that had the hook still below the sea level and the model partially submerged, so that only her head and arms were visible.

    Name:  2nd.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  5.5 KB

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    46,260

    Name:  love.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  9.9 KB

    From 1984, Scorpions "Love at First Sting". The original cover art was shot by noted German fashion photographer Helmut Newton. This cover art features a man and a partially nude woman locked in an embrace, with the man giving the woman a tattoo on her thigh. Despite the record company having shown the original cover art to retailers without any concerns, a complaint by Wal-Mart after the album was released resulted in PolyGram Records issuing a "clean" cover for use in several department store chains. The alternative cover was designed to be less controversial by simply showing a photo of the band members, which was the same photo as the one on the inner sleeve.

    Name:  2nd scor.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  6.8 KB

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    46,260

    Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  90.4 KB

    From 1979, The Cars "Candy-O". The album cover was painted by artist Alberto Vargas, who was known for his paintings of pin-up girls that appeared in Esquire and Playboy magazines in the 1940s and 1960s. The idea to hire Vargas came from drummer David Robinson, the band's artistic director and a collector of pin-ups. The 83-year-old Vargas had retired several years earlier but was persuaded to take the assignment by his niece, who was a fan of The Cars. The painting, depicting a woman sprawled across the hood of a car, was based on a photo shoot directed by Robinson at a Ferrari dealership. The model, coincidentally named Candy Moore (famous for having played Lucille Ball's onscreen daughter on The Lucy Show), briefly dated Robinson afterward.

  10. #10
    BlueTip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 11
    Posts
    1,123

    Phil Hartman (SNL) did the art work for a number of album covers, including one of my all time favorite albums, Aja by Steely Dan.

    Name:  Aja.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  22.3 KB

    He also did album covers for America, Poco, and CSN.

    8 Album Covers Designed By Legendary Comedian Phil Hartman

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    46,260

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTip View Post
    Phil Hartman (SNL) did the art work for a number of album covers, including one of my all time favorite albums, Aja by Steely Dan.

    Name:  Aja.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  22.3 KB

    He also did album covers for America, Poco, and CSN.

    8 Album Covers Designed By Legendary Comedian Phil Hartman
    Learn something new every day.

  12. #12
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the Sun--- But Mama, that's where the fun is !!! "
    Posts
    7,784

    Name:  pink floyd.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  4.2 KB

    For a band who once sang, "We don't need no education," it's ironic that the cover image of their best-selling album is based on a school textbook illustration.

    The Floyd was "bored with the photos" from their earlier LP covers and wanted something "smarter."

    "The prism represented both the diversity and cleanliness of the sound of the music," designer Storm Thorgerson said. "In a more conscious way, it worked for a band with a reputation for their light show. The triangle is a symbol of ambition, one of the themes Roger was concerned with. So you had several ideas coming together."

  13. #13
    ADopted ADmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    Posts
    12,170

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy13 View Post
    Name:  love.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  9.9 KB

    From 1984, Scorpions "Love at First Sting". The original cover art was shot by noted German fashion photographer Helmut Newton. This cover art features a man and a partially nude woman locked in an embrace, with the man giving the woman a tattoo on her thigh. Despite the record company having shown the original cover art to retailers without any concerns, a complaint by Wal-Mart after the album was released resulted in PolyGram Records issuing a "clean" cover for use in several department store chains. The alternative cover was designed to be less controversial by simply showing a photo of the band members, which was the same photo as the one on the inner sleeve.

    Name:  2nd scor.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  6.8 KB
    I have both covers.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 12
    Posts
    474

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jim View Post
    Name:  StreetSurvivorsFlames.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  26.6 KB
    This was the original album cover.
    Name:  Lynyrd_Skynyrd-Street_Survivors-Interior_Frontal.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  113.7 KB
    This was the second cover.
    Three days after the album came out their plane crashed and 3 band members died. Gaines,VanZant and backup singer Gaines. I always thought the album covers came out the other way around and they made the flames over the ones that died in the crash. But it was the other way around. And only Gaines in the middle died in the crash. VanZant is to his immediate right (and is wearing a Neil Young shirt).
    My older brother had both album covers. Kind of scary how Gaines looks on fire in first album.

  15. #15
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    10,900

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTip View Post
    Phil Hartman (SNL) did the art work for a number of album covers, including one of my all time favorite albums, Aja by Steely Dan.

    Name:  Aja.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  22.3 KB

    He also did album covers for America, Poco, and CSN.

    8 Album Covers Designed By Legendary Comedian Phil Hartman
    Wow...never knew this...this is interesting trivia.

Top