Antivirus, what do you use?

  1. #1
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,804

    Antivirus, what do you use?

    I've ran my share of free antivirus programs for years and years, most are good, but lack some features that the premium versions have. On the other hand, some of the premium versions are resource hog's. So what do you all use, free, premium, any particular antivirus program you prefer over others?

    My main reason for asking is because I have always had good luck in the past with free programs like AVG, TrendMicro, and recently tried Avast. But I decided to give a premium version a try to add some features and consolidate some applications into one, so I tried Avast Premier. I wasn't impressed at all, it was a complete resource hot and the firewall caused problems with a program that I use on a regular basis. No matter what I did, other than turning the firewall off all together, worked in terms of getting that program to function.

    I decided to give BitDefender Total Security a try and so far I'm loving it. No more problems with the firewall and you can barely tell it's running, even when doing an full system scan. But while it gets great reviews, it does get some terrible reviews for customer support/billing. So it makes me wonder if there truly is a great antivirus program. What say you?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    @swamprat is the man to answer this one.

  3. #3
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,416

    I don't use any

  4. #4
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    68,980

    AVG here.

  5. #5
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,804

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    I don't use any
    It's a good thing your not a UL recruit.. I kid, I kid.

  6. #6
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,804

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    AVG here.

    Are you using the free version of AVG or a premium version? I ran AVG free for years and always liked it, but I've never tried the premium version.

  7. #7
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    61,602

    Mcafee. As cheap as my computer is, it can be replaced at nominal cost.

  8. #8
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,416

    I've been in the IT field for 14 years and I personally think the two biggest wastes of money are antivirus software and support contracts on certain equipment or software.

  9. #9
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,804

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    I've been in the IT field for 14 years and I personally think the two biggest wastes of money are antivirus software and support contracts on certain equipment or software.
    Not that I disagree, but what has caused you to come to that conclusion? I can certainly see the support side of things, but it seems like antivirus is pretty important these days.

    I've seen computers that are rarely used, but rarely usable due to being infected with tons of malware and some viruses. Once it's on there it's a real pain to get rid of if the proper protection wasn't there to begin with.

  10. #10
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    68,980

    Quote Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post
    Are you using the free version of AVG or a premium version? I ran AVG free for years and always liked it, but I've never tried the premium version.
    Free version

  11. #11
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Westchase, FL
    Posts
    31,083

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    @swamprat is the man to answer this one.
    Like Wireman, I don't use any AVS monitoring software other than Microsoft Essentials, which is built into Defender on Windows 10. All will slow your system down, AVG and Norton being the worst. Avast free edition is not much better than a virus itself.

    I do, however, run free versions of Malware Bytes, CCleaner, and Cleanup regularly. Mrs. S, who hangs out on Facebook, starts Malwarebytes every night before going to bed. She also knows not to click on just anything and what to do when she gets unusual popups.

    If you must use an anti-virus program, I'd use ESET. It's one of the primary tools I use to clean infected computers.

  12. #12
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,804

    Thanks, I have windows 10pro so I do have defender. Given Microsofts vulnerabilities in the past I assumed it would be wise to have a 3rd party antivirus installed instead of relying on defender. I'm pretty careful with what I view and I do have malwarebytes and ccleaner installed. I guess my limited trust with windows security and the added features of some of the premium antivirus security had me thinking that was the way to go.

    So I guess the consensus is that windows defender, malwarebytes and ccleaner is all that is needed? The main reason I like BitDefender is because it includes all of that in one package and I don't even notice it running, even when doing a full system scan. It also picked up on a new google chrome update and 3 critical windows updates tonight that neither windows or google picked up on, on their own. I certainly don't want to spend money on something I don't need though.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Posts
    2,568

    I've used Webroot the past couple of years after having longtime issues with McAfee. I like Webroot much better than it that's for sure. I might look into what Swamprat recommended though. I'm just a little leery though of that. I might just save a restore point and backup all my files and give it a shot through.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,074

    Never used antivirus and never will. As stated above they are hogs and intrusive. Never ever ever ever would I recommend anyone to purchase anti-virus. The free version of AVG or the like are fine for the average consumer.

    I even have major issues with MS Essentials as some are using. the first thing I do for any clients computer is uninstall Essentials and Turn off Windows Firewall. The only exception being a VMWare View environment which requires, for God knows what reason, it be running.

  15. #15
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,804

    When this BitDefender trial period ends and I go away from virus protection don't be surprised when I come calling you guys for help the first time my pc gets sick haha.

Top